Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Turo - drove a GTS 3.0 TwinTurbo

Using the TURO app - drove a 2016 GTS twin turbo around the hills of northern LA County yesterday for 5 hours with my blushing bride of 40 years.
Holy sheet !!! What a car. Gave me a newfound respect for how fast 450 HP really is.

Currently building my 3.2SS twin plug, single turbo '80 SC widebody conversion.
It'll be north of 400HP but with 40 year old upgraded parts.
Like I said --- I've got a whole lotta new respect for 400+ HP. May need to de-tune my beast when I get it running in a few months.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered Cruiser

I'm always skeptical when I see their ads on TV. What did it cost? If I had a 2016 GTS twin turbo I sure as hell wouldn't rent it out to some guy for 5 hours. Maybe he needs the dough...

I have never really completely understood anything.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbraunsr View Post
Using the TURO app - drove a 2016 GTS twin turbo around the hills of northern LA County yesterday for 5 hours with my blushing bride of 40 years.
Holy sheet !!! What a car. Gave me a newfound respect for how fast 450 HP really is.

Currently building my 3.2SS twin plug, single turbo '80 SC widebody conversion.
It'll be north of 400HP but with 40 year old upgraded parts.
Like I said --- I've got a whole lotta new respect for 400+ HP. May need to de-tune my beast when I get it running in a few months.
I wasn't as lucky as you with a GTS but those turbos are light years ahead of the old technology even though they have similar HP output. I drove a friends 2018 991S up the Crest. This thing was a handling monster. It was telepathic. I think this thing is wired to my eye balls via blue tooth and oh man, that delivery of power is something else. I have a 993 TT and its no comparison. His is PDk.

What transmission are you using on your 3.2? I have a 88 930 with the typical old school built, 3.4, twin plugged, flame ringed, lower ring and pinion and all the usual stuff but no EFI, Dyno at 360 at the wheels. At the crank, should be about 450-460? It sure doesn't feel as fast as at the newer cars. Hell, the Cayman S feels faster but of course, with PDK.

Last edited by look 171; 01-14-2019 at 02:59 PM..
Old 01-14-2019, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorian View Post
I'm always skeptical when I see their ads on TV. What did it cost? If I had a 2016 GTS twin turbo I sure as hell wouldn't rent it out to some guy for 5 hours. Maybe he needs the dough...
People make a business out of renting cars on Turo. I am curious how the people with more expensive cars fare, but I have heard that cheaper cars seem to do pretty well (making back more than the car payment each month).
Old 01-14-2019, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc View Post
People make a business out of renting cars on Turo. I am curious how the people with more expensive cars fare, but I have heard that cheaper cars seem to do pretty well (making back more than the car payment each month).
Why on earth would someone do this if it only makes a little more than the car payment back each month? Why bother??

And what is a GTS twin turbo? I know what a 911 GTS is and it isn't a turbo unless it's the newest variant.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I don't keep track of the new 911s but I think they are all turbos now going back a couple of years, Dennis.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rented for 24 hours. 3pm to 3pm
Daughter took it for the PM for their 5 year anniversary.
Wife and I went out the following AM and returned it the next afternoon. The car owner lived near downtown so the Mrs and I stopped in to the Petersen Museum nearby for the "Porsche Experience" Exhibit so we could be on time.
$200 for the rental (200 miles), $100 for the insurance, and +$90 for the extra miles I put on the car.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
Why on earth would someone do this if it only makes a little more than the car payment back each month? Why bother??

And what is a GTS twin turbo? I know what a 911 GTS is and it isn't a turbo unless it's the newest variant.
The owner and the Porsche spec sheet for the 2016 GTS 3.0 (not the 3.8) is listed as "twin-turbocharged boxer 6" 450 HP

When the gas pedal reached a "click" --- it launched like nothing I've every driven.

The owner, had bought another Porsche and used the Turo income to make the payment
Old 01-14-2019, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

This thread is useless with out a pic....
Heading thru Grimes Canyon in Moorpark, CA

Old 01-14-2019, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

LOL, I enjoyed reading that.

My heart was beating like I was riding in the car with you.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

look 171 -
The trans (unfortunately, will be a 915) with stock gears, factory LSD, Wevo bearing retainer.
930 stub axles, 108CVs, and 930 racing axles.
Sunday driver only, never to be tracked.
Talked with Brian (RarlyL8) buying his tuned exhaust and he 'splained his escapades on his "Red Rocket" and how to protect the trans as best as one can.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
The tail lights and lack of rear bumper vents give that away as a 991.1. Well, that, and the fact that you said itís a 2016. The 3.8L is NA and puts out 430hp. Iíve heard theyíre a sweet spot between the S and GT models. Would love to drive one!
Old 01-14-2019, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Nice guy eddie

Garage
Yep, that's a 991.1. 991.2 cars came out in 2017 M.Y.

Still a great car, some people greatly prefer them to the later car.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quick look on ebay shows sellers asking a LOT more for 2016 GTSs than 2017s.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Funny how people’s perceptions vary. I took a GTS round the track at PEC in Atlanta last year.
Thought it needed more power. 450hp wasn’t enough.

Didn’t think it was that much quicker in a straight line than my DD or the 996. Handled better, but wasn’t any quicker when you pressed the loud pedal.

And no, I’m not bashing the car, it’s an observation based on what one is used to.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

My old boss (we're both retired now) was an accomplished stock car racer in the late 50's and bought one of the original V10 Vipers (second or third year I think).
Didn't think it had enough power and had it custom supercharged --- to 720 HP.

Told me he doesn't drive it, he AIMS it !!
I guess it really is one's perception of what one is used to.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbraunsr View Post
look 171 -
The trans (unfortunately, will be a 915) with stock gears, factory LSD, Wevo bearing retainer.
930 stub axles, 108CVs, and 930 racing axles.
Sunday driver only, never to be tracked.
Talked with Brian (RarlyL8) buying his tuned exhaust and he 'splained his escapades on his "Red Rocket" and how to protect the trans as best as one can.
Oh yeah, over 400 is gonna rip that 915 to pieces if you stay in it all the time.

You doing all the work yourself? Ever go to the Porsche meet up in La Canada? They meet up once a month, mostly older cars but lots of 32 and 30L cars. I only go twice a year.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Driver, not Mechanic

200 is not bad. I was curious the other day and looked up a Ferrari California or a 911 Turbo for $499, but with a 100mi limit. That just won’t do. I’d be only getting on PCH at 60mi...

https://turo.com/rentals/cars/ca/san-jose/porsche-911/292402
https://turo.com/rentals/cars/ca/san-jose/ferrari-california/500147

Last edited by wildthing; 01-15-2019 at 08:06 PM..
Old 01-15-2019, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
My brother just sold his 2018 GTS today that only had 2K miles on it.
He bought a 2018 Turbo S and will get it Thursday. I’ve driven the GTS and it was the fastest and best handling car I’ve ever driven. 450 hp, top speed 192, 0-60 3.5 sec.
Turbo S I believe has around 580 hp, top speed 205, 0-60 2.8 seconds.
The GTS was more car than most mere mortals can handle, I can only imagine what the Turbo S is going to be like. I will check back in after I drive it. Tim
Old 01-15-2019, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
I know a guy w a new Turbo S. He likes fast cars but honestly, I think it's just a status symbol.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: