Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

CA AB 1824 exhaust complaint

Anyone heard this? Its no longer a fixer ticket. A visit to the state ref and a huge fine (1000 bucks) for those who are busted. If they just want more money, just freaking ask. They will look up your azzhole and will fine something wrong. Its time to buy a Leaf and be done now.

About 6-8 years ago, I was almost caught in one of those road side rolling smog check deal. Lucky, I saw it early so I made a turn and escape into a side street and high tail outta there.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
Somebody has to pay for...
Old 01-15-2019, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

What is allowed? Ive sort of been watching this out of the corner of my eye, and it sounds as if no exhaust mods are allowed at all ?
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 01-15-2019, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Good. Tired of douchebag Harley Aholes revving their stupid bikes. Loud bikes save lives, ok, you revving your bike so you can split lanes at 60 mph when traffic is stopped is BS. Splitting lanes on a bagger is lame to begin with. I race an open header 911, I don't drive it to work. keep the revs low and don't intentionally set off alarms and be an azzhat and all is good.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Never mind , just read it
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 01-15-2019, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The rolling smog test inspections are voluntary....you do not have to participate
Old 01-15-2019, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Cars & Coffee Killer

So glad I left California.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 01-15-2019, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

If it gets rid of those "fart can" ricers -- I'm all for it.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Por_sha911 View Post
Somebody has to pay for...

... all those Tesla rebates?

_
Old 01-15-2019, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyenby View Post
The rolling smog test inspections are voluntary....you do not have to participate
i think they count every 5 or what ever the number is and you are to go on that damn thing. For all we know, if the CHP decides your car looks like it will fail, you are for sure get to run it on their rollers.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbraunsr View Post
If it gets rid of those "fart can" ricers -- I'm all for it.
Yeh, so what's going to happen to your turbo 3.2L car? They will run a decibel test on it. I think its 92 or below at 19.5" at 2000 or 2500 RPM. If you fail, (a simple hand clap is about 105 db) you are seeing the state ref and a fine of about 1000 bucks along with all other fees. You know, they are looking for smog stuff too. You got smog pump, cat, and.... Mod motor? Be careful what you wish for.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I always dreamed of living in California .
Old 01-15-2019, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I disabused myself of that notion years ago.

1969 911T Coupe
1972 911E Targa
Old 01-15-2019, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
The motorcycle communities have their collective panties in a wad over this too. It basically slaps a $1000 minimum fine on what was previously a fix-it ticket.

It's not about safety, or noise, or anything other than revenue generation. Also, it's written that this can only be a secondary offense - not the primary offense or reason for citation.

So the scenario being if a person is speeding or driving recklessly and pulled over for that (and cited for that), the modified exhaust could then be the second infraction. Most likely this will be used (as it was before) to cite people in large group rides/drives.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 01-16-2019, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
So glad I left California.
We're glad you left as well.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
least common denominator

So you got ticketed? What car were you driving?
Old 01-16-2019, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Nothing has changed wrt noise laws for motor vehicles, only the penalties. CA. is a huge place w gazillions of cars/trucks/bikes, generally speaking, noise laws are not enforced much. Whether this will change that, I kind of doubt it. A cop has to want to take the time to pull someone over for their exhaust when they usually have something better to do or simply don't feel like it, in my observations.

Loud Harleys and other bikes are everywhere. In certain parts of town, (Los Feliz...cough), every other douchebag on the road is in a new BMW M-car w straight pipes, farting through the paddle shifts. It peaked w the V-10s in the last M5 and M6 but now you get to hear the blow-off valves and loud boost. Some of the guys w less game have straight pipes on Accords and Acuras.

I don't see them getting pulled over but I'd laugh hard if I did. You have to be a real ass hole to get a noise ticket in L.A.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
Yeh, so what's going to happen to your turbo 3.2L car? They will run a decibel test on it. I think its 92 or below at 19.5" at 2000 or 2500 RPM. If you fail, (a simple hand clap is about 105 db) you are seeing the state ref and a fine of about 1000 bucks along with all other fees. You know, they are looking for smog stuff too. You got smog pump, cat, and.... Mod motor? Be careful what you wish for.
Jeff, I thought it was 95 dBA at 20í. Compares to standing right next to a running belt sander, or standing 50í from a running jackhammer. If lots of cars/bikes are exceeding this sound level, it can be unpleasant as hell. You live in a hilly area, like me, right? Weíre frequently hearing people opening it up as they drive uphill a few blocks away. Itís loud, and can go on at all hours. Iím not a get off my lawn type about these noise levels, but life would be nicer without this jackassery.

BTW, isnít Laguna Secaís noise limit 92 dBA at 50í?

Last edited by Jim Richards; 01-16-2019 at 07:27 AM..
Old 01-16-2019, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I just wrote to my representatives urging them to SUPPORT this bill.

just for giggles, here is what the bill actually says:

Quote:
Existing law requires every motor vehicle subject to registration to be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and prohibits a muffler or exhaust system from being equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device. Existing law further prohibits the modification of an exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner that will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle exceeds existing noise limits.
So if you have straight pipes, or drag pipes, or cut-outs or uncorked exhaust, and feel that it is your right to be a punk and deny everyone else of their right to reasonable peace and quiet, I hope you get nailed.

There really is no reason for loud exhaust. It isn't a performance thing, I've built many high performance cars and all had intentionally quiet exhaust (including two turbocharged Porsches). Sleepers is the term used.
If your vehicle is faster than it sounds, you are cool.
If your vehicle is louder than it is fast, you are a douche bag.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Richards View Post
Jeff, I thought it was 95 dBA at 20í. Compares to standing right next to a running belt sander, or standing 50í from a running jackhammer. If lots of cars/bikes are exceeding this sound level, it can be unpleasant as hell. You live in a hilly area, like me, right? Weíre frequently hearing people opening it up as they drive uphill a few blocks away. Itís loud, and can go on at all hours. Iím not a get off my lawn type about these noise levels, but life would be nicer without this jackassery.

BTW, isnít Laguna Secaís noise limit 92 dBA at 50í?
Yeppers, 92 or 90dbA, (not sure what the two-tier system means). It makes sense for HPDE events and private track days. It does not apply to professional races there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
I just wrote to my representatives urging them to SUPPORT this bill.

just for giggles, here is what the bill actually says:

So if you have straight pipes, or drag pipes, or cut-outs or uncorked exhaust, and feel that it is your right to be a punk and deny everyone else of their right to reasonable peace and quiet, I hope you get nailed.

There really is no reason for loud exhaust. It isn't a performance thing, I've built many high performance cars and all had intentionally quiet exhaust (including two turbocharged Porsches). Sleepers is the term used.
If your vehicle is faster than it sounds, you are cool.
If your vehicle is louder than it is fast, you are a douche bag.
Note to self: Agreeing w Sammy again, must buy a lottery ticket today.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: