Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC911 View Post
So what speeds are y'all talkin' about? On 6am glassy lake water I could eek out 73 mph on my 18' bass boat....once. I don't think any faster works for me...
73 mph is flying on the water and feels like twice that. And that is more than fast enough to be dangerous.

Fastest I ever went in a boat was 155 in a comp hydro but that was under ideal conditions at the boat digs.
That day, I came to the realization that I was not good enough to do that and that I would not survive long if I kept it up. When I went through the lights I think I had my eyes closed with nearly full left on the steering to over-come the prop-walk and drag from the huge side rudder.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Back in high school, I was with a friend in his Magnum boat at lake Lanier, north of Atlanta. Had a huge outboard.

We were flying along at top speed and dove under a wave. Our hats, sunglasses and beers we were holding were gone in a second. Lots of laughing after that.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

I was an amphibian for my first 18 years, along a river near a very large lake. A friend bought a jet boat the salesman said could not be sunk. "Noah" would slam that thing in reverse at full throttle. The water would come up the bow to the windshield. From a stop, he could gun it while turning the wheel and drench the ladies in the two rear sets.

I've seen one-seater inboards that were no more than a 427 on a surfboard. One of the most ferocious boats I have every ridden was small and had four small outboards. The owner required I wear the helmet and life vest which seemed useless at the time. If the boat had tumbled, I would not have expected survival. Pretty stable though, considering the hull was on the water every 25 feet.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
Nothing better for destroying the tranquility of a day on the lake.
I dunno, it is usually the wakeboard boats with sound bars blasting crappy music that ruin it around here.

Hot Rod magazine used to do a lot of jet boat coverage back in the day--may want to do some archival research on their website for old articles.
69 Chevrolet C-20 Longhorn (family heirloom)
76 F150 Bicentennial Edition
Old 01-18-2019, 02:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Yep...the jet skis ruined all my bass fishin' lakes...appeared about 2 decades ago on my favorite one . They love to chase boat wakes....my bass boat on plane didn't leave much....and none could even come close to keeping up anyways
Old 01-18-2019, 02:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

While I understand that a V or stern drive would be more efficient, I'm not interested in that for reasons stated in the original post. That being the situation and impeller selection aside (but still very important), is someone making or was a larger pump made?

This 1370hp thing makes me smile but seems to have custom ($$$$$$) everything.

Squirt 2
Old 01-18-2019, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

My buddy has Squirt #1 in his garage and will get running this summer....he thinks
Old 01-18-2019, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
My buddy has Squirt #1 in his garage and will get running this summer....he thinks
I like your friend already!
Old 01-18-2019, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

How did he come to own Squirt 1, where is it now and what happened to make it non-op?
Old 01-18-2019, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
A Secret Place

Pictures of my father's brother's boat...Oakland in the early 60's - I think:

Great guy. He is in the straw hat. Engineer at Lawrence Livermore. Ended up wrecking the boat in a race.

RIP, Byron.

Economics provides information about the world. It does not provide wisdom.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
weren't those called a "crackerbox"? short with the motor in front. He probably knew Leroy Penhall.

Oh yeah, Trump won
Thank you Mr. Putin
Old 01-18-2019, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

He wanted it for the Allison, he liked to tinker with them.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Did he have a turbine background or is he just really ambitious??
Old 01-18-2019, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
A Secret Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyGon View Post
weren't those called a "crackerbox"? short with the motor in front. He probably knew Leroy Penhall.
I have no idea, Bey. Byron was a gifted intellect who had more than a few drums in play at anyone time.

The last time I saw him was in 1964, I was eight. I spent the weekend with him at his house in Sausalito. He also had a boat near the then disputed houseboats.

He had a 58 El Camino, which I ended up learning to drive on after he passed and we inherited the car.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
I have no idea, Bey. Byron was a gifted intellect who had more than a few drums in play at anyone time.

The last time I saw him was in 1964, I was eight. I spent the weekend with him at his house in Sausalito. He also had a boat near the then disputed houseboats.

He had a 58 El Camino, which I ended up learning to drive on after he passed and we inherited the car.
I hope you still have that El Camino, that's one of the rarest ever made.

Oh yeah, Trump won
Thank you Mr. Putin
Old 01-18-2019, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
A Secret Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyGon View Post
I hope you still have that El Camino, that's one of the rarest ever made.
59?

Must be good to be you.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

I built one up in 78. Haskell Boats used to be in the Valley and I had them build me a hull to my specs. 18" shallow v that was really stable. I used a Panther drive PANTHER JET with through the transom exhaust so it was really pretty quiet. Great hole shot from the Panther drive made it a good ski boat.
With a stock real LT1 and 780 double pumper, 95 at our altitude and kind of a gas guzzler. Dropping to a 650 with vacuum secondaries dropped the top speed to the 70's but cut consumption by two thirds.
Check out the Panther drives. As simple as it gets.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Jet boats have their uses, shallow rocky waters that will wreck the running gear on conventional boats. Alaska, and New Zealand are big on jet boats.

The Kiwis are way into racing them. Pretty quick action.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nv0pI_9JqaU

Cheers Richard
Old 01-18-2019, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Good to know I wasn't the only one with questionable judgement --sammyG2

Maybe so... in the last years of ownership, we "borrowed" (2) fast food trays from a half dozen franchises to see who's made the best barefoot "skis".
Of course you want to know the scientific result ? drumroll please ---- In N Out of course...

Ran an old Hondo, sister boat to the Top Fueler 'Hot Damn Hondo'. not blown though.
Love your pic.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

A used aluminum Outlaw Eagle boat would appear to be a really nice jet boat...not cheap but not a death wish either. Oh, and it looks like the t-58 powered monster from the videos can be bought now
Old 01-19-2019, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: