Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
4 Post lift anyone?

Does anyone own a 4 post lift? Opinions please?

I'm considering getting one for my garage. At about 5k delivered and installed it's a lot cheaper than building an extra carport (and I don't have to room anyway) plus you get the added benefits of having a lift.
There's lots of info on YouTube but often these videos are sponsored so maybe you're not getting an honest review.

One of the reasons I want to go with a 4 poster is because unlike a 2 post it doesn't have to be bolted down.
I'll probably bolt it down at some point but I want to be able to move it around until I decide were to put it permanently.

Here's a good setup video.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I picked up a BendPac HD9XW with wheel kit and Bridge jack, so far it has been great. The XW is a little wider but gives more access between the rails and makes it possible to drop a engine down through and also this unit lifted slightly higher then others.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I've had my Greg Smith 4 post lift for over 10 years now...couldn't be happier with it.
My garage has 4 stalls and I have had the lift in each of them at some time over the years.
To move it..slip the caster arms on the posts..lower the ramps and the lift is supported by the wheels. It can be moved easily by one person.

Last edited by stevej37; 01-17-2019 at 03:38 PM..
Old 01-17-2019, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
gduke2010

Garage
I'll be getting a bend pac in the spring. I have a 4 1/2" slop in my garage and spoke to other manufacturers about the slope but, was only able to speak to the sales departments. So, when I spoke to Bend Pac, they gave me the number to an experience installer. He's having Bend Pac weld a solid 4 1/2" plate on the legs closest tooth door, and he's also, a fabricator and is going to fabricate some custom aluminum ramps. +1 for BendPac
Old 01-17-2019, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
I have a 2 post Rotary, it is more flexible than a 4 post for working on cars. For storage, a 4 post is better.

Some things I don’t like about the 2 post...

1. Mine is symmetric so the doors open into the posts.

2. You can’t move it.

3. The cross bar at the top limits how far I can lift my truck.
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 01-17-2019, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

In my last house I had a scissor lift and in my current house have a 2 post . Each has advantages and disadvantages and that goes for a 4 post also . As others have stated a 4 post is great for storing a car and you can do a fair amount of work with a 4 post . I think a 2 post is a little more versatile for actually working on vehicles . The 4 post there basically isn't any installation just the assembly of it on site . Regardless of what you end up with any style of lift is better than laying on your back on the concrete floor !
Old 01-18-2019, 02:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

unsafe at any speed

I have a 2 post, it takes up less space than a 4 post. My neighbor has a 4 post, and you constantly have to be careful not to walk into the ramps and get a headache.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Zink Racer

I have one of each. Found a local distributor who sells a few brands. My 4 post is a direct lift I think. Cheaper than what you are talking about but it pretty much doesn't move and just stores a project that I may someday get to with some parts.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
It just depends on your garage space, and what your needs are. For me I have a typical suburban garage with 10 foot ceilings. Well, my garage is a oversized 3 car garage, so not real typical, but the ceiling is.

I simply do not have room for a 4 post. Even a two post would be in the way most of the time. I ended up putting my scissor lift in a small pit. I cover it with a sheet of 1/2 plywood. When not in use, I do't even think about it. It sure is handy to use. From waxing the doors and lower body panels at eye level while sitting on a stool, to doing a valve adjustment. I love my lift. Next to the AC and the heater its the best improvement I did for my garage ever.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 01-18-2019, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

A 4 post lift is good for storing a car, or doing doing oil changes/exhaust work. A 2 post lift is good for doing all other heavy maintenance (the 4 wheels are suspended in the air, rather than sitting on the lift).
Old 01-18-2019, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

10 foot ceiling

Old 01-18-2019, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I also have a Direct Lift 4 post from Greg Smith, going on 10 years now. Great for storage and some work on the 930, but my Honda Odyssey and 4Runner barely fit on it for oil changes. Check widths of both tracks and posts (though you could just fold in the side mirrors) when shopping.
former Tony//Kart shifterkart owner
Old 01-18-2019, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I just installed a 4 post in August-had to tray my 8 ft ceiling to do it, keep a r129 on the floor and a 911 above. I've used it for maintenance with a normal jack in the tray etc. My only real complaint is that I've hit my head ducking under to get to stuff on the other side.

I'd price other brands-my Triumph was only 2k in the usa and is well built. I would spring for aluminum ramps-the steel ones are heavy to move around.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 01-18-2019, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebilly View Post
I have a 2 post Rotary, it is more flexible than a 4 post for working on cars. For storage, a 4 post is better.
^This, I have a 2 post AAMCO 7k asymmetric clear floor lift.
Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Loved my 4 post, miss it. Remember to add light source all around instead of directly above to your garage will turn into a dark cave. Mine was $3000 all in, but maybe you are adding sliding jacks ? If so good idea, that way you can do everything like a 2 poster but also stack long term.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Lots of snow Porsche away

Garage
I have a two post asymmetrical lift From Gregs. It is an amazing tool, incredible access for doing work. Definitely for straight storage a 4 post is the way to go, but if you want to work on the car you want a 2. I have seen rails you can add to a 2 post to pick up under the tires to lift for storage. If I wanted the versatility I think I would go that route, as you take up less floor space, have to option of work or storage, and I think would be cheaper in the end. I bought mine, 12500 pound asymmetrical with one person operation for the drop, for about $2200 Canadian, picked it up and installed it myself it was a cinch. Mine is without the cross bar as well, the cabling runs across the bottom not the top. So lift to whatever your ceiling height allows.
79 XS750 because one is just not enough
Old 01-18-2019, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

A 4-post lift will give the same versatility, with a simple bottle jack. I think all 4-post lifts come with a sliding jack tray to lift the car off the ramps. I sometimes use the built-in jack points on the sides for wheel changes or brake work. Some even do engine removal with a 4 post.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
beancounter

4 post in my 2 car garage. A 2 post wouldnít have worked well in my space. 95% of the time I just have 2 cars stacked for storage, which leaves enough room along the side of my garage for my workbench, tool chest, and a parking spot for my motorcycle. I use a bottle jack for wheel work. I also bought an under hoist jack stand link below. I can set this up under the car while its up on the lift, lower the lift to raise one end of the car, then place jack stands between the car and the ramps. Iíve found that with my race car which is very low, I canít fit a bottle jack under it that has enough extension to get the wheels in the air. The under hoist jack stand has been a great companion tool.

(https://www.amazon.com/STKUSA-Underhoist-Stand-1000lb-Capacity/dp/B01A9FXIA4/ref=asc_df_B01A9FXIA4/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312142020868&hvpos=1o6&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13700401032227356943&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1015214&hvtargid=pla-570276525818&psc=1)
Old 01-18-2019, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

When you have a chance, can you post some pics using bottle jack on 4-post lift?
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej37 View Post
A 4-post lift will give the same versatility, with a simple bottle jack. I think all 4-post lifts come with a sliding jack tray to lift the car off the ramps. I sometimes use the built-in jack points on the sides for wheel changes or brake work. Some even do engine removal with a 4 post.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Only pic I could find..old and poor pic. Middle of SSI install and working on removing the oil lines from thermo. Pic is a couple months before the one in post #11 of this thread.
Bottle jack was set in the sliding tray..then removed after placing jack stand.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: