Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Just remember, any German you attempt should sound angry.

https://youtu.be/NcxvQI88JRY
Old 01-23-2019, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
A Secret Place

Ebay has new Rosetta Stone programs for German for under $50.

Worth it even for one trip - something to do on the flight over

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=rosetta+stone&_sacat=0&_udhi=50

The Inklings

Last edited by Seahawk; 01-23-2019 at 04:42 AM..
Old 01-23-2019, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
I speak German at a near native level. It is not easy to learn and you will never get conversant or remotely functional by some online or 10 day DIY course. But you really don't need to either. The Munich airport probably functions more in English than German anyway. I don't remember talking to anyone in the few hours I spent in Regensburg two summers ago, but you are not going to understand a word any local says if they really speak like a local. You'll be fine in bars and restaurants. Most of the street vendors have photos on the wall for their menus. If you can get Augustinerbräu in Regensburg, that's the beer you want. You can't get it too far outside of Munich. It's the best beer in Germany.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
...but you are not going to understand a word any local says if they really speak like a local......
Lol, so true.

I present as American, it's the shoes.

But when I bust out the Swabisch the attitude and service change dramatically.

You don't learn the dialects in school, you speak Swabisch because you are born into it. They know you are a homie.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
If you can get Augustinerbräu in Regensburg, that's the beer you want. You can't get it too far outside of Munich. It's the best beer in Germany.
Lofty praise. I need to write that down for the next time I'm over there. Last time I had a hefeweisen called "Hirsch" IIRC that was really good (kind of like Franziskaner - I love that) and also Alpirsbacher. That was awesome, too.
22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 01-23-2019, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
durn for'ner

Do your best Basil Fawlty!

Carrera '85
Old 01-23-2019, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

I would never ask, "do you speak English", because most everyone there does. After I stumbled through Ish bin eine tourist aus California, mein deutsch ist nicht gut (sp), I would always ask, "may I speak English". I found asking, "Do you speak English"? was at times insulting. A German friend told me that in his school, English is mandatory plus one other language. I would be happy if more schools in this country taught English.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Mach .86 View Post
....A German friend told me that in his school, English is mandatory plus one other language....
Correct.

My mother is a polyglot.

Speaks 5 languages, 6 if you consider Latin a language.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
"may I speak English".

They prefer "Was ist das auf English bitte"

They like it if you at least try.

A couple of days ago there were a couple of gorgeous German girls on the beach and I said to them A beautiful day for the beach in German. They were in hysterics laughing and said Yes it is correct, but not really how you say it.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I would never ask, "do you speak English", because most everyone there does. After I stumbled through Ish bin eine tourist aus California, mein deutsch ist nicht gut (sp), I would always ask, "may I speak English". I found asking, "Do you speak English"? was at times insulting. A German friend told me that in his school, English is mandatory plus one other language. I would be happy if more schools in this country taught English.
Most, but not everyone speaks English. We ran into a bartender that didn't speak English. Luckily "ein Bier, bitte" is pretty easy. We also found a restaurant open on a Sunday (that was not easy) and the guy who ran the place knew very little English. Interestingly, many Americans "look" German enough that they simply assume you are German and launch into some dialogue that is completely meaningless.
22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 01-23-2019, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stomachmonkey View Post
Just remember, any German you attempt should sound angry.

https://youtu.be/NcxvQI88JRY
Romania is the same. I was beginning to learn basic Romanian, and could follow the technical talk. My boss was on one trip and asked why the Romgaz people were so angry. I had to explain how the guttural Slavic sounds angry.

As a side note, English sounds best spoken by a Beautiful slender Blond Parisian girl, with big boobs and about 23.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROC View Post
Most, but not everyone speaks English. We ran into a bartender that didn't speak English. Luckily "ein Bier, bitte" is pretty easy. We also found a restaurant open on a Sunday (that was not easy) and the guy who ran the place knew very little English. Interestingly, many Americans "look" German enough that they simply assume you are German and launch into some dialogue that is completely meaningless.
I had something similar happen in Romania. Needed to check into a hotel with someone who spoke no English and I spoke ZERO Romanian at that time. But, she spoke French. We got the job done with my bad French.

I now speak 4 languages poorly...

UK English
French
Spanish
Romanian
Old 01-23-2019, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like I’ll be able to get by, and if we are going anywhere too local, we can just drag along our German coworker...

I wasn’t going to ask, but then I got to thinking about traveling through Barcelona an encoutnering a few folks who wanted to speak Spanish, and seeing the majority of signs in Spanish. My Spanish is rudimentary, but I got by.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Germany is great. Have fun!
Old 01-23-2019, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche4life View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like I’ll be able to get by, and if we are going anywhere too local, we can just drag along our German coworker...

I wasn’t going to ask, but then I got to thinking about traveling through Barcelona an encoutnering a few folks who wanted to speak Spanish, and seeing the majority of signs in Spanish. My Spanish is rudimentary, but I got by.
Screw that, speak English. You'll be forgive when you break one of the MANY MANY rules accidentally. We paid the wrong fare for a city train ticket once (like, 1 Euro difference, simple error). It was ME, the American who was visiting and spoke no English, and my wife (then girlfriend) who was an American who lived there and spoke German. She got in an argument with the ticket guy in German, who accused her of knowing better, yadda yadda, and popped us for a 50 Euro fine. If *I* had argued with him in English, as an American visitor, we would have walked away.

Therefore, speaking English is better than speaking German.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 01-23-2019, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
popped us for a 50 Euro fine.
Oh you gotta play stupid American tourist on those things.
I think I only got my ticket checked/scanned once when I was there last year. I did a lot of regional trains too.

Non Cedo Ferio
Old 01-23-2019, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
... and don't walk on the grass!
Old 01-23-2019, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
I am reminded of the time I was in the Rome airport waiting to gather a group of Americans who were arriving on 2 or 3 flights from US cities. A frantic looking woman came up to me and said, “scussie, do you speak English?” I said, “No. I’m from Kentucky.”
She was about to miss her plane, you never saw anybody so relieved.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Been to many cities throughout Germany.

Never, not once had a problem with speaking english.

Much much easier than in France.

Love both.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

If you're by Mesa CC. I would recommend Dr. Klein. Offers night classes.

Non Cedo Ferio
Old 01-23-2019, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: