Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Puny Bird

Steer clear of any cars that have been winter driven, I see a lot of scored bores and like others we see it a lot in these cars.
LN IMS solution to me is the best kit, pressure feed plain bearing is what it should have been right from the get go. Doing one next week. Water pump every 4-5 years, lesser of two evils deal, plastic impeller degrades, but the metal impeller can damage the case in a worst case failure.

I don't give a poop how good it looks...It has to have a PPI, borescope and I'd suck it up and give the owner a free oil change so I can drop the sump plate. A 2004 has the single row IMS, I wouldn't be scared of an original IMS bearing if no issues, but it would need doing ASAP. I'd factor the repair cost in and try to use it when haggling price.
Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.

Last edited by Mark Henry; 01-27-2019 at 07:59 PM..
Old 01-27-2019, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Henry View Post
Steer clear of any cars that have been winter driven, I see a lot of scored bores and like others we see it a lot in these cars.
LN IMS solution to me is the best kit, pressure feed plain bearing is what it should have been right from the get go. Doing one next week. Water pump every 4-5 years, lesser of two evils deal, plastic impeller degrades, but the metal impeller can damage the case in a worst case failure.

I don't give a poop how good it looks...It has to have a PPI, borescope and I'd suck it up and give the owner a free oil change so I can drop the sump plate. A 2004 has the single row IMS, I wouldn't be scared of an original IMS bearing if no issues, but it would need doing ASAP. I'd factor the repair cost in and try to use it when haggling price.
Does winter driving have something to do with the scored bores, Mark?

I like the 996s, though the C4s steer heavy to me. Even though the failure rates for these M96 cars is often said to be very low, I have seen way too many--like 10--go home from track days on tow trucks.

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/1022378-yes-its-another-white-911-build.html
Old 01-27-2019, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Zink Racer

Quote:
Itís a parking lot dent. Take it to a good body shop and $2k later, itís good as new. Would still be way under $40k. They are all over the place for under $40 w 90 or 100k miles. 100k is absolutely nothing on those cars, they are indestructible.
Early in my ownership I tipped my older BMW 1150GS into the left rear fender of mine. The handlebar put a large dent in the middle of that fender. I was horrified and figured it would be thousands to get it fixed. A paintless dent guy did it for $200 and I can't tell other than the access plug in the door area.

I found and extra set of turbo hollow spoke wheels with brand new winter tires and drive mine year around. It's not a DD but gets exercised regularly and we use it for weekend trips, etc.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcorgi View Post
Does winter driving have something to do with the scored bores, Mark?

I like the 996s, though the C4s steer heavy to me. Even though the failure rates for these M96 cars is often said to be very low, I have seen way too many--like 10--go home from track days on tow trucks.
Can't say for sure but myself and other northern builders see a disproportionate number of winter driven M96 engines with scored bores.

On the track it's most likely oil starvation issues due to the wet sump and lateral G's. Similar issue as the 914/4 has on long sweepers.
Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: