Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Slackerous Maximus

Tell me about the 996 C4S

Couple of nice examples on the market here locally, in low $30s.

https://www.dennydotson.com/2004-Porsche-911/Used-Car/Johnstown-OH/11518636/Details.aspx

Are the 4wd systems problematic? Are these motors any different from a IMS perspective?
Old 01-27-2019, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
What?!?!

Garage
Holy smokes, that car is beautiful. Such fantastic condition.
To me, it looks genuinely cared for from new.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

My friend loved his until he got a 996TT.

He was always fixing little things, sometimes medium but nothing that steer anyone clear of owning one if they did their own repairs.

Fun fact, Porsche actually made a 2005 C4S. Must have had some bodies leftover.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Uhm, why does the shifter only go in two directions, forward and backward?
Old 01-27-2019, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Would not touch one without documentation the IMS had been resolved.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage

You are correct. Porsche made the 996 4S and the turbo's in 2005. This is my 4S
Old 01-27-2019, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Parts and labor for installing a LN Engineering IMS for this car range from $2700 to $3000 easily.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
What?!?!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stomachmonkey View Post
Right?!
Old 01-27-2019, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

Quote:
My 997S was a Tip. Loved it. Takes your mind off gear selection, lets you focus on the fantastic handling. I currently have a 2003 Mustang Mach 1 with a 5 speed. It's better that you focus on the joy of rowing the gears, because if you if you focused on the scary ass handling, you might just get out and walk out of safety concerns.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Yep, that one's missing a pedal. It should be cheaper than $30s, you can get a nice 996 turbo w a 6-speed and under 100k miles in the mid-upper 30s.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post

He was always fixing little things, sometimes medium but nothing that steer anyone clear of owning one if they did their own repairs.

Fun fact, Porsche actually made a 2005 C4S. Must have had some bodies leftover.
They also made 996 turbos in coupes and cabriolets plus 996 GT3s in 2005. That's more than having a few bodies left over. It was a full year model run.

Base model 911s were 997s in 2005. Everything else was still 996.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post

Base model 911s were 997s in 2005. Everything else was still 996.
Not true. I owned a 2005 997S. It was a launch year car with a few free options.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardDrive View Post
Not true. I owned a 2005 997S. It was a launch year car with a few free options.
I should have been more specific. Regular and S narrow body RWD 911s were 997s in 2005. Everything else was still 996.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Zink Racer

I have a 2004. Bought it a few years ago with mileage in the low 90k range. The body and interior are very nice. It had a clutch and IMS bearing done at like 75k by the PO. He kept up on things ok but not to my standard. Two winters ago I did some preventative maintenance. New coolant bottle, new water pump, low temp thermostat, new motor mounts, that kind of stuff. The water pump that was in there was close to toast. I'd still like to get a new AOS installed but the current one is fine and despite reading a bunch of articles, I could not figure out how to do it without doing an engine drop. I also did new shifter from Function First and their trans mount insert. It had new tires on it when I bought it. I paid $27k I think. I've put 10k miles on it. If I keep it longer term it will need some suspension updating. I couldn't imagine buying one without the 3rd pedal. The paint and interior quality with the full leather are very good.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
996TT’s in decent shape are getting very difficult to find in the 30’s
Old 01-27-2019, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

Beautiful machine.

I actually made the switch to Tip living in Seattle. Got tired of getting stuck on steep grades in stop and go traffic. You flatlanders on the other side of the mountains have it easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhynesrockmtn View Post
I have a 2004. Bought it a few years ago with mileage in the low 90k range. The body and interior are very nice. It had a clutch and IMS bearing done at like 75k by the PO. He kept up on things ok but not to my standard. Two winters ago I did some preventative maintenance. New coolant bottle, new water pump, low temp thermostat, new motor mounts, that kind of stuff. The water pump that was in there was close to toast. I'd still like to get a new AOS installed but the current one is fine and despite reading a bunch of articles, I could not figure out how to do it without doing an engine drop. I also did new shifter from Function First and their trans mount insert. It had new tires on it when I bought it. I paid $27k I think. I've put 10k miles on it. If I keep it longer term it will need some suspension updating. I couldn't imagine buying one without the 3rd pedal. The paint and interior quality with the full leather are very good.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911boost View Post
996TTís in decent shape are getting very difficult to find in the 30ís
I find them every time I look. last time was last week. Passed on a 2003 X50 for $35k w 117k miles and a dent on the rear fender, it's still listed in SF craigslist. An absolutely beautiful black/black coupe sold for $38 on this forum recently, 90k miles. Both cars are 6-speed manuals. Tips are a dime-a-dozen.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
A dent on the rear doesn’t qualify for what I would describe as in decent shape..... but to each his own.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post
Me too.
The 4S was great. The TT is mo betta.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911boost View Post
A dent on the rear doesnít qualify for what I would describe as in decent shape..... but to each his own.
Itís a parking lot dent. Take it to a good body shop and $2k later, itís good as new. Would still be way under $40k. They are all over the place for under $40 w 90 or 100k miles. 100k is absolutely nothing on those cars, they are indestructible.

The prices are very mileage sensitive. Low mileage cars have higher asking prices but I want one that I can have fun with. They are not special enough cars to want a creampuff example. IMO, of course. They are older driver cars.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: