Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
first step..if houston is that bad, invest in those bike cameras. front and back.

get video evidence of the next round of bullchit.

second. call the cops to see if there is anything they can do.

it would have taken great restraint to not knock on his door like you did, but being older and wiser..you know.
I am an old sucker and I would not have approached. Possibly if I were an MMA expert armed to the teeth.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

there is nothing you can do. if you confront him be smart about it and take the hi road.
there is no assault there.

other option is to wait til he goes in and "accidentally" get too close with a key in your hand.

I would probably get one of those cheap ruger LCP's as a carry.
BUT only as a defense. I would NEVER confront someone while carrying.

too bad one douche can ruin a great day
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 01-28-2019, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

Didn’t read all of this so apologies if already discussed.

I ride a motorcycle for relaxation. Almost always nice, quiet country roads. Invariably I’ll come upon a bicycle or several that are happy to force me to cross a double yellow (illegal) to get around them. Very aggravating especially in hilly areas where site line is minimal.

Is it possible that your judgement of room was different than his? 24” of space puts you nearly a third into the lane of traffic. A bicycle can travel easily within less than half that distance, especially when there is automotive traffic behind you. If there is a solid center line, you definitely should make every effort to move over.

It’s especially annoying when bicycles riding in groups insist on using the entire lane with no effort to go single file, at least to let traffic by. I’m guessing there’s two sides to this story.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Same thing happened to me and I understand your frustration, but itís why I quit riding. Just not worth getting killed over.

That type of person isnít even the real problem though, at least they saw you. The scary ones are the people who miss you by inches and you see them on their phone as they pass. No camera to record it is going to get me out of the hospital faster.

No long distances on roads with any traffic, Iím a neighborhood rider now
Old 01-28-2019, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

have you guys noticed that everybody in America is at war with someone. Everybody hates the truck guys, bicycle guys, dems. rebubs, different races, atheists, christians, muslims, vegans, manly men. millenials, bla bla bla bla.
There is so much information coming at us every day, and it is all telling us that we should be mad at somebody, or something
we are doomed boyz ! Cant everybody just get along ?
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 01-28-2019, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocaholic View Post
Didnít read all of this so apologies if already discussed.

I ride a motorcycle for relaxation. Almost always nice, quiet country roads. Invariably Iíll come upon a bicycle or several that are happy to force me to cross a double yellow (illegal) to get around them. Very aggravating especially in hilly areas where site line is minimal.

Is it possible that your judgement of room was different than his? 24Ē of space puts you nearly a third into the lane of traffic. A bicycle can travel easily within less than half that distance, especially when there is automotive traffic behind you. If there is a solid center line, you definitely should make every effort to move over.

Itís especially annoying when bicycles riding in groups insist on using the entire lane with no effort to go single file, at least to let traffic by. Iím guessing thereís two sides to this story.
annoying yes..but i try to keep an "i dont get an EFF" attitude. my construction projects; 90% of them are on HWY1. i have developed "inner peace"..i'll happily poke along at bicycle speeds behind a group of thoughtless cyclist. i'll stay there until i can find a spot that i can see far enough to squirt past. no joke, most of them thank me as i go by..or wave. i think they get kinda nervous with me just flanking them like that..eventually i get by.

on my motorcycle, it is even easier. i'm sitting taller, and i'm way Squirty-er.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Quote:
Originally Posted by onevoice View Post
Same thing happened to me and I understand your frustration, but itís why I quit riding. Just not worth getting killed over.

That type of person isnít even the real problem though, at least they saw you. The scary ones are the people who miss you by inches and you see them on their phone as they pass. No camera to record it is going to get me out of the hospital faster.

No long distances on roads with any traffic, Iím a neighborhood rider now
yea..no doubt.

it's why i only MTN-bike now. if i am on the road, i am commuting. i dont recreational ride on roads anymore.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfredracing View Post
have you guys noticed that everybody in America is at war with someone. Everybody hates the truck guys, bicycle guys, dems. rebubs, different races, atheists, christians, muslims, vegans, manly men. millenials, bla bla bla bla.
There is so much information coming at us every day, and it is all telling us that we should be mad at somebody, or something
True words brother...true words!
Old 01-28-2019, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I love to blow up that truck and his apartment but that's just me dreaming. In reality, there's really nothing you an do about it so personally, I just ride on out of that cloud of smoke and enjoy the day. Azzhole is always gonna to be an azzhold. Nothing you can do to change that. he will be looking for you on that road again. I had people throw soda and spit at me. bus driver get within inches of my back tire trying to intimidate me in my young days. I stay my course. if he hit my tire and cause, he would have ran me over but luckily I survived. i don't gt into it anymore.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfredracing View Post
the op needs to open the mind of brainless coal roller with the teachings of buddha and the dao.

On my RAM I'm running a clean/no smoke tune. Sooo OP-Rusty try not to stereotype diesel owners. A lot of us look down on Neanderthals that roll coal, especially on people, and open car windows. The diesel reddit shames those guys pretty hard when they try to go over there and think that they're cool.

Non Cedo Ferio

Last edited by AZ_porschekid; 01-28-2019 at 07:32 AM..
Old 01-28-2019, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocaholic View Post
Didnít read all of this so apologies if already discussed.

I ride a motorcycle for relaxation. Almost always nice, quiet country roads. Invariably Iíll come upon a bicycle or several that are happy to force me to cross a double yellow (illegal) to get around them. Very aggravating especially in hilly areas where site line is minimal.

Is it possible that your judgement of room was different than his? 24Ē of space puts you nearly a third into the lane of traffic. A bicycle can travel easily within less than half that distance, especially when there is automotive traffic behind you. If there is a solid center line, you definitely should make every effort to move over.

Itís especially annoying when bicycles riding in groups insist on using the entire lane with no effort to go single file, at least to let traffic by. Iím guessing thereís two sides to this story.
He was a SOLITARY rider on a 4 lane undivided major road. He was not impeding traffic. There was no reason for the behavior.

I do agree with you about double-pacelines. In fact, they are VERY dangerous for people that are not serious riders.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Taunter of Asshats

Let it go. Parking lot likely has cameras.

I'd wear a camera in the future.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad911 View Post
Let it go. Parking lot likely has cameras.

I'd wear a camera in the future.

This seems like the best advice (and file charges if you video abuse). Under certain circumstances, property can be defended with deadly force in TX. Iíd not mess with othersí stuff, no matter how harmless the impact or how warranted... Too risky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2019, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

I solved the problem 5-6 years ago. I ride almost exclusively on dedicated bike paths. Winning the 'I have a legal right to ride on the road goddammit' argument doesn't do you a lot of good when you're dead or a quad in a wheelchair. Can bike paths be boring? Sometimes. But they're also very relaxing when you don't have to constantly be on alert for distracted drivers or drivers purposely trying to mow you down.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_porschekid View Post
the op needs to open the mind of brainless coal roller with the teachings of buddha and the dao.

On my RAM I'm running a clean/no smoke tune. Sooo OP-Rusty try not to stereotype diesel owners. A lot of us look down on Neanderthals that roll coal, especially on people, and open car windows. The diesel reddit shames those guys pretty hard when they try to go over there and think that they're cool.
Me also, even on my highest tune, the only time I see smoke is when I am pulling really heavy and working it hard. Or , if I really boot it from a low rpm.
I had a dude roll coal on us when my kid an I were in the 914. Sort of dick move, but we laughed it off, and moved on with our lives that day . It occupied about 30 seconds of space in my head .
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 01-28-2019, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

I get confused looks sometimes when I pull into a bike path parking lot full of cars with 'vegan-coexist-i'm with her' bumper stickers with my 1-ton diesel dually and pull my 19-pound vintage steel race bike out of the back.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
I solved the problem 5-6 years ago. I ride almost exclusively on dedicated bike paths. Winning the 'I have a legal right to ride on the road goddammit' argument doesn't do you a lot of good when you're dead or a quad in a wheelchair. Can bike paths be boring? Sometimes. But they're also very relaxing when you don't have to constantly be on alert for distracted drivers or drivers purposely trying to mow you down.
This and MTB is all I do now. Tasty single track all year long on a fatbike.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Functionista

Yeah, my on road cycling days ended around the time Bob Wollek was killed by an RV mirror near Sebring. Mountain bikes for me also, though there is a cool Velodrome track nearby I’d like to try.
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Counterclockwise?

Garage
It takes one person out of two to be a dbag.
Be happy it isn't you and enjoy your life.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 01-28-2019, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

People I know ride with gopros as evidence devices. I've personally been involved in numerous "right hook" accident cases (car passes bike and immediately turns right into bike's path) where the footage has been gamechanging. Same thing for coal-some PD's are aware of the problem and will look at your vid, some not. I ride with a couple cops who usually will forward this sorta stuff to colleagues.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 01-28-2019, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: