Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Model Citizen

Garage
I have a vegan cycling buddy, he's stronger than $#!^, and has a ton of energy. He turned me onto beet-root powder as a post-ride recovery - I've done it for a while, and it really seems to help. It sure doesn't hurt.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

once you get hungry you are DONE. its too late.
try a good meal before.
you need to find out what works best for you. me, I liked waffles and a coke. pancakes would work too. the spaghetti thing the night before never did it for me.
back when I rode GU was the life support.that and perhaps bagels. for bagels take a bite and then drink water, the water dissolves it so it goes down. bananas didn't work for me either.
I really only prepped like that for rides over 50 or 60 miles, unless it was in the mountains.

the longest ride I did was 9 hours, cramps were the issue, not bonking.
did the hotter than hell one hundred once. we averaged 28mph for the first 60 miles (got behind some tandems). last 40 I cramped horribly due to the speed and not riding for a month. no bonk.

you have to force yourself to eat. on rides like that, MT Mitchell in SC/NC I would eat something every half hour.

if you out on the rode and you bonk try and energy drink just to get home. I don't like them but I did try one once when I was dead (riding with others) and it helped. BTW that is the only one I have ever had.

I would usually just have a bad day once in a while, barely able to do 10-15 when I can average 20-22 by myself for 100 miles (flat roads). those days you just have to do what you can do. usually the next day I was flying.

I went crazy over the light stuff at one time. then I went for durability. I have had handlebars break on me and go over the bars. that is not fun at all.

I did the heart rate monitor and tracking for a while. racing, once my rate got in the 190's I was not going to last much longer. I gave it up.
so I mostly rode to how I felt. if the pace got too hi there was nothing I could do by monitoring my HR. I learned my body pretty good that way and it taught me how to race/ride smart.
learn your body and how hard you can push it and for how long.

the key to getting better is accelerations and recovery. don't train on a TT bar. that wont make you better. use a TT bar just for that, a TT.
get with others about your level or better. you people that will push you. go to the front and push yourself there then drop to the back and recover. if there is an opportunity to sprint then do it, then recover. bike riding is not about long steady speeds. you can get out and train 50 miles at 18-20 by yourself but once you get in a group the accelerations are going to kill you.

learn to ride with no hands. eating, drinking, putting clothes on or taking them off. you need to be able to ride steady and do these things.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 02-12-2019, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by herr_oberst View Post
I have a vegan cycling buddy, he's stronger than $#!^, and has a ton of energy. He turned me onto beet-root powder as a post-ride recovery - I've done it for a while, and it really seems to help. It sure doesn't hurt.
Beet root = massive amounts of sucrose. For post ride recovery, that is just fine.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
T77911S is right.

After many years of trying different things, my pre-ride breakfast was Ramen noodles. Salty, with liquid and lots of easy to digest carbs.

Bananas and fruit are good at rest stops. I have tried freeze dried everything during rides. Jells are great. But JAT fuel was the easiest, since it is a gel. And my gel tubes are 8OZ each! Put one in a Bento Box. For 70-100, a second one in a jersey pouch.

Stay away from protein. And I had issues with high fructose corn syrup and with oatmeal. Pancakes/waffles & syrup are great pre-ride. Do not go for the peanut better & jelly sandwiches. I think they interfere with fast, high calorie absorption.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Garage
One other thing about bar shape, Steve; if that's your bike on the OP, before you buy bars, try flopping your stem. You might find that hoods or bar tops will now be as comfy as in the drops. Just a thought.

Also, maybe you carry in your jersey, so apologies if I'm overstepping, but I don't see tools on your bike. As a way to end a ride, walking from a bonk or walking from a mechanical sucks equally bad. A tube, a multi tool, a CO2 inflater, maybe a tire boot and a quik-link are easy to carry in a seat bag and will get you back on the road in case of bad luck.

(BTW, I'm happy for you that you're and Mrs. Steve are putting in real good miles! MS150 will be a fun ride!)
Old 02-12-2019, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

I've got another question. WRT bar width. I've seen the "as wide as your shoulders" with a specific bone to measure to/from. Most of the bars are 40, 42, 44, etc... If I'm half way in between 40 and 42, what do you think you'd go with the wider or the more narrow bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
I tell you what, come over this weekend and I'll give a personal demonstration on how to make JAT Juice and JAT Fuel. I'll even give a 3 month supply of Malto-dextrin.
James, that's super generous, especially considering everything that you've already done. I'll check with the missus and see what she has planned and let her know and see if there's a time when I could come over.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 02-12-2019, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
I've got another question. WRT bar width. I've seen the "as wide as your shoulders" with a specific bone to measure to/from. Most of the bars are 40, 42, 44, etc... If I'm half way in between 40 and 42, what do you think you'd go with the wider or the more narrow bar?

James, that's super generous, especially considering everything that you've already done. I'll check with the missus and see what she has planned and let her know and see if there's a time when I could come over.
Sunday afternoon should work. I can also get you the Jerseys....

...I may have to clean up my garage...
Old 02-12-2019, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobra View Post
Bear in mind that for most people, over training is not a problem. It is a matter of under recovery.
I don't think we're remotely having that issue.
Quote:
Interesting, good to know. I'll check it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T77911S View Post
You need to find out what works best for you. me, I liked waffles and a coke. pancakes would work too. the spaghetti thing the night before never did it for me.
back when I rode GU was the life support.that and perhaps bagels. for bagels take a bite and then drink water, the water dissolves it so it goes down. bananas didn't work for me either.
I really only prepped like that for rides over 50 or 60 miles, unless it was in the mountains.

the longest ride I did was 9 hours, cramps were the issue, not bonking.
did the hotter than hell one hundred once. we averaged 28mph for the first 60 miles (got behind some tandems). last 40 I cramped horribly due to the speed and not riding for a month. no bonk.

you have to force yourself to eat. on rides like that, MT Mitchell in SC/NC I would eat something every half hour.

if you out on the rode and you bonk try and energy drink just to get home. I don't like them but I did try one once when I was dead (riding with others) and it helped. BTW that is the only one I have ever had.

I would usually just have a bad day once in a while, barely able to do 10-15 when I can average 20-22 by myself for 100 miles (flat roads). those days you just have to do what you can do. usually the next day I was flying.
I'm doing pretty good eating for myself, although as she starts to get faster (and therefore we get faster) I'm sure I'll have to adjust some. I eat pretty good in the morning before we leave and eat more while on the ride. I've also done fasting training while running. I've never felt like I was approaching a bonk, but I suspect you don't get much warning.

Quote:
I did the heart rate monitor and tracking for a while. racing, once my rate got in the 190's I was not going to last much longer. I gave it up.
so I mostly rode to how I felt. if the pace got too hi there was nothing I could do by monitoring my HR. I learned my body pretty good that way and it taught me how to race/ride smart.
learn your body and how hard you can push it and for how long.
I don't train by my HRM, but I do like to see what's going on with my HR. I train more by feel. I understand when I'm at the limit (at least when running) and stay there or back off a bit.
Quote:
get with others about your level or better. you people that will push you. go to the front and push yourself there then drop to the back and recover. if there is an opportunity to sprint then do it, then recover. bike riding is not about long steady speeds. you can get out and train 50 miles at 18-20 by yourself but once you get in a group the accelerations are going to kill you.

learn to ride with no hands. eating, drinking, putting clothes on or taking them off. you need to be able to ride steady and do these things.
Yeah, in one of our earlier rides I think I put in 8-12 miles riding no handed. I was trying to get more of a workout while going a slow enough for the missus so sat up to get more wind resistance.
Quote:
One other thing about bar shape, Steve; if that's your bike on the OP, before you buy bars, try flopping your stem. You might find that hoods or bar tops will now be as comfy as in the drops. Just a thought.

Also, maybe you carry in your jersey, so apologies if I'm overstepping, but I don't see tools on your bike. As a way to end a ride, walking from a bonk or walking from a mechanical sucks equally bad. A tube, a multi tool, a CO2 inflater, maybe a tire boot and a quik-link are easy to carry in a seat bag and will get you back on the road in case of bad luck.

(BTW, I'm happy for you that you're and Mrs. Steve are putting in real good miles! MS150 will be a fun ride!)
That's not my bike, but my bike does have a stem setup for "endurance" so it does angle up like that.

I do have a bag under my seat with CO2 inflator, tire levers, tubes, patch kit and a multitool. I'm always happy to take tips. I'd rather have you folks mention something that I don't have covered than have you not mention something that bites me in the rear later.

Last edited by masraum; 02-12-2019 at 01:02 PM..
Old 02-12-2019, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Sunday afternoon should work. I can also get you the Jerseys....

...I may have to clean up my garage...
Cool, I'll check with her and let her know. She'll probably want to rearrange anything that she might have planned for me to come over.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
T77911S is right.

After many years of trying different things, my pre-ride breakfast was Ramen noodles. Salty, with liquid and lots of easy to digest carbs.

Bananas and fruit are good at rest stops. I have tried freeze dried everything during rides. Jells are great. But JAT fuel was the easiest, since it is a gel. And my gel tubes are 8OZ each! Put one in a Bento Box. For 70-100, a second one in a jersey pouch.

Stay away from protein. And I had issues with high fructose corn syrup and with oatmeal. Pancakes/waffles & syrup are great pre-ride. Do not go for the peanut better & jelly sandwiches. I think they interfere with fast, high calorie absorption.
that's ironic, PB&J was another. it was quick and easy for me. sometimes for me, especially later on in years it was just a matter of having something in my stomach.
early I had to find what did not upset my stomach when riding,. but you also have to understand how I road, it was always as hard as I could, usually trying to keep up with my brother that was faster....at that time. HR probably in the 180's with a max of 207.
you might avoid overly sweet things, that may give you stomach cramps.

drinks:
same thing. find what works and does not upset your stomach.
I would make 2 bottles. I got lazy and just drank Gatorade.
one bottle would be full strength which I drank first, the second was watered down.
you don't want the full sweetness later in a ride, plus they will taste even sweeter.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

The assault on mt Mitchell. 100 miles and 10k+ ft of climbing. I am not a climber. Best time. Finished 250 out of 1000. Did this 5 or 6 times.

Work on bike handling skills.
U can do figure 8's at home.
Find a very short loop you can practice taking the turns at speed.
I learned handling skills trying to keep up with the faster guys on a short criterion course. Had to learn to pedal through corners. This actually helped me win my first race.
When alone ride the white line. If it is safe but remember painted lines cam be very slippery. Look up, not down
Vocus on keeping your knees over your feet and pulling up on the pedals on the up stroke, not pushing down. You will develop a smooth and efficient stroke that will keep you steady. Practice pedaling with one foot out of the pedals at the end if your ride.

Learn to draft.
Keep a steady speed when on front. Don't use the brakes unless absolutely necessary. Keep pedaling but move out into the wind and let it slow you, then move back.
Don't overlap wheels. If you do don't panic and hit the brakes. If the person In front is steady just coast and back off. If the person in front is not very steady, don't get too close.
Learn hand signals.
The person on front should point out road hazards. A flick of the elbow means that person is done on the front and is pulling off.
DO NOT speed up when you get to the front.
If the person in front of shifts to a very hard gear they are either going to sprint or stand up to pedal. Either way, their bike will move back words don't hit the brakes

Cars
Always make eye contact with people that are pulling out from side roads. Everyone but me, 5 if them, plowed into the side of a pickup at 30mph that pulled put in front of us. I barely missed the dropped tailgate. Ironically we were getting ready for the ms150.
The person up front should announce cars.

I don't know how much experience you have so I hope some of this helps.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
I see you

Quote:
I tell you what, come over this weekend and I'll give a personal demonstration on how to make JAT Juice and JAT Fuel. I'll even give a 3 month supply of Malto-dextrin.
Searching for JAT fuel but no joy. What is it?

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 02-13-2019, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
Searching for JAT fuel but no joy. What is it?
bicycle, Tour de Taco JAT FUEL

It is home-made power gel. We used to call it "JET FUEL", but there actually is a commercial JET FUEL. It is sometimes called "Taco Juice".

One of the main reasons I like making my own gels and "Gatorade" is I can pick the flavor. I like Wylers Black Cherry. Originally, both JAT Juice and JAT Fuel were all Dextrose. It needed a 'touch' of sweetness in JAT juice, hence the 2 tbsp. of sucrose, and the JAT Fuel was WAY too sweet, hence the move to mostly Maltodextrin.

I used Hydropak Soft flask, 8 oz and 5 oz, to carry the gel. The ones I have are about 7 years old and clear. But this is very similar

https://hydrapak.com/shop/soft-flasks/softflask-150
Old 02-13-2019, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post

I think you're a 42 at the smallest. I think I run a 42 (but maybe 40) which looks really small on my 60cm frame. I've got to be narrower shouldered than you.

Bar manufacturers do not measure the same. Some measure the outside of the bars and some measure center to center of the tubing.

When looking at bar drop shape, keep in mind that you will probably be most comfortable with upper bar flat to earth like my setup:

Old 02-13-2019, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
I see you

Quote:
bicycle, Tour de Taco JAT FUEL

It is home-made power gel. We used to call it "JET FUEL", but there actually is a commercial JET FUEL. It is sometimes called "Taco Juice".

One of the main reasons I like making my own gels and "Gatorade" is I can pick the flavor. I like Wylers Black Cherry. Originally, both JAT Juice and JAT Fuel were all Dextrose. It needed a 'touch' of sweetness in JAT juice, hence the 2 tbsp. of sucrose, and the JAT Fuel was WAY too sweet, hence the move to mostly Maltodextrin.

I used Hydropak Soft flask, 8 oz and 5 oz, to carry the gel. The ones I have are about 7 years old and clear. But this is very similar

https://hydrapak.com/shop/soft-flasks/softflask-150
Thanks James!

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 02-13-2019, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

In the 80's I used to do a 50 mile ride with out ANY food at all and every time I would bonk and barely make it home.. Then I learned to eat and ride. A banana early on (before I get hungry) and a hardboiled egg @ the 1/2 point. THEN some nuts and a 'sports -snack-bar' as I head home.
I also put powdered vitamins and minerals in ONE water bottle, like non-sorbitol Nunn or Emergen C Check the sugar make sure it diluted a lot. Drink a lot of water, I go through four 22 oz. bottles on a 50 mile ride, easily. Wow, almost 3 quarts...!
'99 MX-5
7 bicycles and a Metro Card...

Last edited by Kraftwerk; 02-13-2019 at 08:54 AM..
Old 02-13-2019, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Wondering if it would help to split the longer rides into two sessions, with a stop at a coffee shoot have a good coffee and cake. I'm thinking that many new(-ish) rides find eating and riding a challenge and so 'bonk'.

To say do a solid 20 miles to a good cafe, stop, refuel ad then another 15 miles 'might' help in the 'eating during exercise' adaptation. We have found that in long days in the saddle (say 190km per day over 4-5 days) most can do it with a stop every 60km. So we have a coffee stop in the morning, then lunch and then a cake stop later on. Each stop has drinks, food, fruit etc etc to help get people stocked up and 20mins later we are on our way.

As you both get used to eating doing a ride then each segment can become longer... and hence the need for a little bit of food during the ride become apparent. Ultimately it would be great to have a 30 odd mile before and after coffee... with bananas and drink during the ride, much like you target event.

If I recall you are aiming for the MS150, and doing it with your wife. It might be beneficial to concentrate on ways of making fun and enjoyable; even if it means a bit longer in the saddle.

In terms of getting narrower bars I have to ask why? The slightly narrower bars make sense if you were seeking to maximise your speed/ efficiency. It might be better to look at improving other areas first. You mention tyres.. that's the first port of call....get some high quality rubber on there, or better wheels. Both offer very obvious gains in terms comfort and speed. I have 42cm on my carbon framed road bike which is used every day for about 100km, so a correct set up is beneficial. The gravel bike which I use for longer rides has 44 cm bars... not ideal yet I know the benefits are so slight that it is difficult to justify the change in bars at this stage. Getting better tyres made a significant difference in speed... and comfort. Next improvement planned is better wheels and in the spring new bar tape, with additional padding.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by T77911S View Post

The assault on mt Mitchell. 100 miles and 10k+ ft of climbing. I am not a climber. Best time. Finished 250 out of 1000. Did this 5 or 6 times. [/img]
I can't even imagine that sort of climb. Around here, on our current practice route, the longest climb is probably not more than 20-30' of vertical at a time

Quote:
Work on bike handling skills.
U can do figure 8's at home.
Find a very short loop you can practice taking the turns at speed.
I learned handling skills trying to keep up with the faster guys on a short criterion course. Had to learn to pedal through corners. This actually helped me win my first race.
When alone ride the white line. If it is safe but remember painted lines cam be very slippery. Look up, not down
Vocus on keeping your knees over your feet and pulling up on the pedals on the up stroke, not pushing down. You will develop a smooth and efficient stroke that will keep you steady. Practice pedaling with one foot out of the pedals at the end if your ride.

Learn to draft.
Keep a steady speed when on front. Don't use the brakes unless absolutely necessary. Keep pedaling but move out into the wind and let it slow you, then move back.
Don't overlap wheels. If you do don't panic and hit the brakes. If the person In front is steady just coast and back off. If the person in front is not very steady, don't get too close.
Learn hand signals.
The person on front should point out road hazards. A flick of the elbow means that person is done on the front and is pulling off.
DO NOT speed up when you get to the front.
If the person in front of shifts to a very hard gear they are either going to sprint or stand up to pedal. Either way, their bike will move back words don't hit the brakes

Cars
Always make eye contact with people that are pulling out from side roads. Everyone but me, 5 if them, plowed into the side of a pickup at 30mph that pulled put in front of us. I barely missed the dropped tailgate. Ironically we were getting ready for the ms150.
The person up front should announce cars.

I don't know how much experience you have so I hope some of this helps.
Lots of good info. I've also watched a couple of videos on bike handling from the GCN guys. One was pretty basic, the other a little less so. They had a lot of the same sort of thing. Learn to ride with one hand, then none. Practice riding very slowly. Practice riding in a straight line (like on the line painted on the street), etc... I've also told the missus about some of this stuff and she's interested in getting better at it. I'm eager to start riding with a group, but she'll need to be more comfortable than she is now before she tackles a group, I think.

Last edited by masraum; 02-13-2019 at 03:31 PM..
Old 02-13-2019, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I think you're a 42 at the smallest. I think I run a 42 (but maybe 40) which looks really small on my 60cm frame. I've got to be narrower shouldered than you.

Bar manufacturers do not measure the same. Some measure the outside of the bars and some measure center to center of the tubing.

When looking at bar drop shape, keep in mind that you will probably be most comfortable with upper bar flat to earth like my setup:

Thanks, good to know on the shoulder width I was leaning towards the 42, and thinking that I didn't want to make too big a change. I've got my bars set so the tops are parallel to the ground now. I'll make sure to keep that orientation when I get new bars.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFAFF View Post
Wondering if it would help to split the longer rides into two sessions, with a stop at a coffee shoot have a good coffee and cake. I'm thinking that many new(-ish) rides find eating and riding a challenge and so 'bonk'.

To say do a solid 20 miles to a good cafe, stop, refuel ad then another 15 miles 'might' help in the 'eating during exercise' adaptation. We have found that in long days in the saddle (say 190km per day over 4-5 days) most can do it with a stop every 60km. So we have a coffee stop in the morning, then lunch and then a cake stop later on. Each stop has drinks, food, fruit etc etc to help get people stocked up and 20mins later we are on our way.

As you both get used to eating doing a ride then each segment can become longer... and hence the need for a little bit of food during the ride become apparent. Ultimately it would be great to have a 30 odd mile before and after coffee... with bananas and drink during the ride, much like you target event.

If I recall you are aiming for the MS150, and doing it with your wife. It might be beneficial to concentrate on ways of making fun and enjoyable; even if it means a bit longer in the saddle.
Good idea. Since we aren't actually racing, the time isn't the priority (although we don't want it to be a 10 hour day either. For shorter training rides of 25-40 miles, I think we should be able to just stop for a few mins a couple of times to snack (until she's able to ride and eat).

Quote:
In terms of getting narrower bars I have to ask why? The slightly narrower bars make sense if you were seeking to maximise your speed/ efficiency. It might be better to look at improving other areas first. You mention tyres.. that's the first port of call....get some high quality rubber on there, or better wheels. Both offer very obvious gains in terms comfort and speed. I have 42cm on my carbon framed road bike which is used every day for about 100km, so a correct set up is beneficial. The gravel bike which I use for longer rides has 44 cm bars... not ideal yet I know the benefits are so slight that it is difficult to justify the change in bars at this stage. Getting better tyres made a significant difference in speed... and comfort. Next improvement planned is better wheels and in the spring new bar tape, with additional padding.
I'm not comfortable with the shape of my bars and how they work for me in the drops, so I was thinking of getting something in a slightly different shape to be more comfortable and work better for me in the drops. In the process, I started wondering about the width, and they did feel a little wide. Based on my shoulder width, it seems the bars that came on my bike might be a little wide.

I do want to get different tires. I've looked at a bunch. Panaracer gravelkings, Continental GP 4000, etc.... so many choices. My bike is currently running 700x38 which limits my selection a lot if I want to stay with that width. I've been thinking that I could probably step down to 35 or maybe even 32 wide if it gives me several better options at possibly better prices.

I don't think I'm ready for a wheel upgrade yet. That seems like a fairly expensive upgrade, especially considering that my bike was only $850.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: