Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Zink Racer

Cool old pocket watch in my Mom's things

We just moved my Mom into assisted living. The body outliving the brain is a motherforker!

Going through some of her things and found this cool old watch with the original Sears guaranty document. Purchased for my Mom's aunt who lived to be well into her 90's and passed a few years ago.

I'm not inclined to get it running but maybe should have a watchmaker check it out? I'm not sure how she ended up with it. My Mom's aunt did like her quite a bit but I'm wondering if I should try and track other family of hers down. She did have some kids I believe.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Neat!
Old 02-17-2019, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Jerry - best wishes for you and your Mom. Mine turns 96 this week and probably not far from going into assisted living.

That's a beautiful time piece and should be kept in the family, IMHO. Every family is different but I wouldn't let just any family member have it.

I have known some to sell stuff like that when they get it....little bastards.....
Old 02-17-2019, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Best wishes for your mom. Body outliving the mind is indeed terrible. It seems to be more and more common.
1907! The paperwork makes that a precious family heirloom.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Best wishes for your mom.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Too bad about your Mom, it seems to happen to the best ones.

Neat watch from a cool time period, and in well kept shape. I think it may be worth as more as a family heirloom, than an ebay item.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
I think it may be worth as more as a family heirloom, than an ebay item.
+1
Watch the relatives. Some only value the $$$. When my paternal grandmother died my aunt began selling of family heirlooms before the funeral. My cousins are the same way. My brother wants to keep everything .

When my maternal grandmother prepared to move to a rest home she had a sale of her household items to raise some cash. I came with a wad of money and overpaid for everything - it’s my grandma! I picked up a pan or plate or something and asked her if she would take $5 for it. My cousin said, “You can by those all day long at Goodwill for 50 cents.” I just stared at him. Maybe shook my head a little bit.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
A Secret Place

That is really cool watch, especially given the notes and family ties.

I inherited a number of vintage pocket watches and was surprised how little they were worth unless super rare.

Here is a good link for your watch (no values given but a quick e-bay search will give you an idea):

Washington Watch Company Serial Numbers - transferload

Keep it or find a family member that will cherish the connection.

All the best to you and your Mother - we are starting the same journey.

The Inklings
Old 02-18-2019, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

That's really cool. We found something similar, but not as cool in a desk left by a relative.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 02-18-2019, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
+1
Watch the relatives. Some only value the $$$. When my paternal grandmother died my aunt began selling of family heirlooms before the funeral. My cousins are the same way. My brother wants to keep everything .

When my maternal grandmother prepared to move to a rest home she had a sale of her household items to raise some cash. I came with a wad of money and overpaid for everything - it’s my grandma! I picked up a pan or plate or something and asked her if she would take $5 for it. My cousin said, “You can by those all day long at Goodwill for 50 cents.” I just stared at him. Maybe shook my head a little bit.
Yeah, one of my wife's relatives sold off a ton of stuff that had been her mother's, my wife's grandmother's sister, at an estate sale. We went and bought a bunch of crystal that had been the sisters' parents wedding gifts in the early 1900s.

Not everyone values the same things.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 02-18-2019, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Garage
Build a shadow box and display that puppy and the associated ephemera in a place of honor. Very cool find.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: