Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Douglas View Post
Sadly it means a deserving kid misses out because the available space was taken up by a cheat.

Waiting for Elizabeth warren to comment.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
While this all sounds pretty bad, how is it illegal to pay someone to help your kid get into a school? What crime is that?
Itís not illegal to pay someone to help your kid get into a school, the tutoring industry is huge. This is a case of cheating and bribing people, do you seriously not understand the difference?

At any rate, I canít stop laughing at the thought of these schitty people sitting in jail. Years ago, Spy magazine did a cover article on colleges for the dumb rich. There are a whole bunch of semi-prestigious schools in New England where anyone w a checkbook can attend. They may have gotten tougher since all colleges have gotten tougher on admissions. I was always under the impression that absolutely anyone could attend USC if they could pay tuition. ďWrite a check, get a degreeĒ, we used to say. I knew some very curiosity challenged people who graduated from SC a couple decades ago.

Some lawyers are going to be buying new yachts.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

Quote:
While this all sounds pretty bad, how is it illegal to pay someone to help your kid get into a school? What crime is that?
Mail fraud apparently
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 03-12-2019, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

yeah, USC?

for $5000 they'd give my dog a diploma.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

How about the fellow that donated 5.3M to his school, they put his name on the building, then he makes a racial slur and winds up asking them to remove his name from the building?!

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/mississippi/articles/2018-09-22/ole-miss-donor-wants-his-name-removed-after-racial-post
Old 03-12-2019, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmint View Post
yeah, USC?

for $5000 they'd give my dog a diploma.
The price has gone up a little since the last time he applied.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbob View Post
Why donít you just give the kid $6.5M and be done with It?
..because a kid raised by parents like that will piss that away in a few years....? not that those parents are smart enough to realize that.

2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
2008 Yamaha R6
2013 Honda 250 CRF
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 03-12-2019, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
This is a case of cheating and bribing people, do you seriously not understand the difference?
Sure, I see the difference. I just don't know how it's a bribe to pay to influence someone who is not a public official. If I give the matre d a $20 to get a table at a crowded restaurant, it's not remotely illegal because that person is not a public official. Is it different when you add a few zeroes? And why is it perfectly ok to just claim Native American heritage to bypass the need to give monetary gifts? Obviously, anyone who takes money to influence their professional behavior should be subject to whatever sanctions their employer decides on. And in this case, it'd certainly be termination. I just don't see how this is a federal crime.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmint View Post
Doubt these kids are majoring in engineering or medicine. I’ve been told repeatedly that an Ivy League liberal arts degree is a cakewalk. Once they’re in they’re made.
FWIW, you have no idea about what you're talking.

Now hotel management, that looked like cake.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Sure, I see the difference. I just don't know how it's a bribe to pay to influence someone who is not a public official. ... I just don't see how this is a federal crime.
Unless of course its a state run University. Is it? Otherwise I agree. Firing offense, nothing more.

2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
2008 Yamaha R6
2013 Honda 250 CRF
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 03-12-2019, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstreit View Post
Unless of course its a state run University. Is it? Otherwise I agree. Firing offense, nothing more.
I went to a state university. The "student" athletes had the equivalent of diplomatic immunity. A total sham and an insult to other legitimate students, but nothing illegal. Would the wire and mail fraud charges be possible if this money were passed by hand in brown bags or envelopes?
Old 03-12-2019, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Let me know when you guys wanna see my "surprised face"........

Steve
Old 03-12-2019, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
I just don't see how this is a federal crime.
That's what I was wondering today. How did the FBI get involved? Did someone suspect cheating at the SAT/ACT level and then call the FBI?
Old 03-12-2019, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Mail fraud committed on a private employer is a federal crime in certain circumstances. As a practical matter it has to be pretty egregious before the feds will indict.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post
Mail fraud committed on a private employer is a federal crime in certain circumstances. As a practical matter it has to be pretty egregious before the feds will indict.
Well I'm no attorney but I did stay at a Holiday Inn... wait, no... No I didn't....

2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
2008 Yamaha R6
2013 Honda 250 CRF
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 03-12-2019, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Information Overloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstreit View Post
..because a kid raised by parents like that will piss that away in a few years....? not that those parents are smart enough to realize that.
Probably true.

So...give the brat $18,000/mo. Not including interest, it would last 30 years.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

The prosecutors are taking it pretty seriously. Something like $250,000.00 bail.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
FAKE charity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
That's what I was wondering today. How did the FBI get involved? Did someone suspect cheating at the SAT/ACT level and then call the FBI?
Big IRS involvement. Looks like there is a FAKE charity somewhere in this.

The huge donations to this charity organisation would have been claimed as tax deductions. So their kids get into the exclusive school and you, as taxpayers, pay for it.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelrik911 View Post
So their kids get into the exclusive school and you, as taxpayers, pay for it.
Hasnít that always been the case? Educational and religious orgs have always been tax exempt.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

The kids answers were changed on the tests to the correct answers by the the Procters administrating the tests.

A ucla coach was involved..
Old 03-12-2019, 11:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: