Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
A Man of Wealth and Taste

Geez early yesterday morning I wrote about the cynical amoral situational ethics of the Boomers going forward...and how corruption is now endemic...

My case rests, and my critics can now suck on my little wienie..
Old 03-12-2019, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabs View Post

My case rests, and my critics can now suck on my little wienie..
I did not come here to criticize...you weiner
Old 03-13-2019, 02:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Information Overloader

https://www.businessinsider.com/college-admissions-cheating-scandal-full-list-people-charged-2019-3
Old 03-13-2019, 02:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

The loss of an ethical and moral center has had a corrosive effect which is now readily seen by all with this scandal.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabs View Post
The loss of an ethical and moral center has had a corrosive effect which is now readily seen by all with this scandal.
Duz this mean I can't go to Yale like mommy?

signed....

Yenny
Old 03-13-2019, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
I see you

Is a diploma from an exclusive school still such a big deal? I've known plenty of people who have done quite well in life after graduating from a no name state school.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 03-13-2019, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

$250,000 bail for Huffman

https://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2019/03/13/felicity-huffman-released-on-bail-in-college-admissions-prob/23691241/

Court documents showed that Huffman and Macy met with a cooperating witness at their home in Los Angeles, where the witness told the couple he “controlled” a testing center for college entrance exams and could have their daughter’s SAT answers secretly changed, AP reported. The couple allegedly agreed to the plan.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Well, Starbucks is getting very particular about which schools they hire their PhD baristas from these days.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
The one most ironic part, one of the kids that got in, is on video as saying something to the effect, "I don't care much about the education, I just want to party and go to the games and have some fun"

OUCH!

I just got a job and I never went to college. Assuming one had the money from mom and dad, and the inclination could she not have just picked the school she liked, moved to the area, bought the clothes and tickets to games and gone to the parties, and had the fun and not have to bump some kid that wants an education?
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 03-13-2019, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

You can’t be a top Hollywood commodity if your kid is not in Yale or UC Berkley.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmint View Post
yeah, USC?

for $5000 they'd give my dog a diploma.
A bachelor's diploma from USC costs more like $300k now.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

One of the co-conspirators was Mark Riddell. Since 2006 he served as the Director of College Exam Preparation at IMG Academy.

According to court documents, as far back as 2011, he would accept bribes to help students pass the ACT or SAT exams.

In one instance, he learned how to mimic a student's handwriting. In many cases, he would fly out from Florida and take the test in their place.

Officials say he was paid $10,000 per test.

Good work if you can find it.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Founder-JT Fan Club

For that kind of money they could have bought and staffed Faber College....
Old 03-13-2019, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

I still think this is pretty funny. You can legally bribe the school by giving them money directly to admit your kid, and it is a tax deductible charitable contribution. But if you give the money to someone else, it's suddenly wire fraud and tax fraud.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 03-13-2019, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

They used bribes to an individual and then wrote the bribes off on tax returns
Old 03-13-2019, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
I have a one word reply to the shock everyone has over this scandal:
DUH?! (sometimes crude expressions drive the point home)

This is the dirty little secret that has been in plain sight since I went to school in the 70's. WHY is anyone now surprised?
Old 03-13-2019, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
What did they plan for their kid to do once they got in? Get a degree in basket weaving? If the school is worth anything, getting in is the easy part.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
What did they plan for their kid to do once they got in? Get a degree in basket weaving? If the school is worth anything, getting in is the easy part.
Lots of easy ways to coast through college - take easy courses and accrue enough credits for a general studies, communications or English major. It does take some planning, however. Hell, I didn't even try to coast, but I did want to spend a year studying abroad. Pitt's program for that was that I just had to prove I was registered for classes with a university in Germany (didn't even have to go to class, complete the course work, or get grades), translate the paperwork myself when I got home, have a German professor approve the translation and then they handed me 30 credits and carried over my GPA from the previous year. Even though none of those 30 credits counted toward my major, I still managed to finish in four years, going part time my last semester. If you know how to plan, you can get around a lot of things.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner or later View Post
They used bribes to an individual and then wrote the bribes off on tax returns
Right. Which is somehow NOT a crime (and tax deductible) when you bribe the university directly. Methinks the real message here is to other parents to stick to the "legal" and established bribing mechanism.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 03-13-2019, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

A long time ago, "a guy I knew" had a full ride baseball scholarship to a local university.
One year he was invited to play summer ball for the Humboldt crabs in nor-cal.

When got there they told him he had a job. He never really figured out what the job was, but he had to give the coach part of his first paycheck.

At the end of the summer the coach handed him an envelope that said he got straight As in the three classes he took that summer.
Evidently the money he gave the coach from his first paycheck was for tuition.

I've made it no secret that I hold academia in disdain and feel the entire system needs to be scrapped and replaced, this is just one more piece to support that argument.

Last edited by sammyg2; 03-13-2019 at 06:58 AM..
Old 03-13-2019, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: