Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Same for us. Lots of hard work at school, SAT scores and a little luck. Our son swam year round and at uni. Once you get in, you have to make the grades to stay in. No coasting. He majored in computer science and while others partied and studied, he had to practice and study. Lots of long nights. He did well and graduated in four years, unlike so many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy View Post
Totally saw this ugly mess coming and I am actually glad that it is finally out in the open. Corruption at the highest levels of even Ivy League schools. We were heavily involved in collegiate sports 10 years ago and our kids got in the hard way with real SAT scores and real grades.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
The bail amount of one million bucks is nuts. Accused murder suspects have lower bail.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 03-13-2019, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

Garage
They can afford to pay half million to cheat they can pay bail like the criminal they are !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2019, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

Garage
I paid a bribe to get in school. I paid in blood and sweat! It was "The School Of Hardknocks"!

Now I'm just a happy man living a happy life. Being rich isn't all it's cracked up to be, just guessing. But I work with some rich, miserable MFer's. Nein danke.

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson
Old 03-13-2019, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)

Similar kinds of things have been going on for a loooong time. Back in the '60s I was transferring to a local college. They had reached their quota for applications and weren't accepting any more. I was invited to dinner by the family of a girl I was seeing at the time. During the dinner the father, who was a huge industrial presence in the area, asked about my plans. I commented the college wasn't accepting any more applications. He volunteered to call a person there who he knew to help me. I told him thanks but I was a veteran, and they had to accept my application. Later on I realized the person he knew was the President of the college.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner or later View Post
Not buying it. None of these kids came up with this on their own, and no one takes the SATs for the first time when they're 18 or older. Their parents may have arranged it all, but, unless it involved falsifying gov't-issued IDs, I doubt it's a crime.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Not buying it. None of these kids came up with this on their own, and no one takes the SATs for the first time when they're 18 or older. Their parents may have arranged it all, but, unless it involved falsifying gov't-issued IDs, I doubt it's a crime.
You mean the USDOJ doesn't know federal criminal law better than someone who didn't stay at a Holiday Inn?
Old 03-13-2019, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post
You mean the USDOJ doesn't know federal criminal law better than someone who didn't stay at a Holiday Inn?
USDOJ does whatever the hell it wants. The fact that they had to resort to wire fraud, which is an all-encompassing charge when they really want to make an example of someone, is telling. If states were unwilling to enforce their own laws here, then that should be looked at too.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
The universities are blaming their corrupt employees, but isn't that the university? At least at USC there will be more. Some reports of deep ties into USC ...

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-college-admissions-fraud-corruption-list-20190312-story.html

USC has had a lot of scandals and are churning through administrations. They won't shake this one easily.

G
Old 03-13-2019, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
You’d think that kids admitted on false pretenses with junk test scores wouldn’t flourish at top schools. No one seems to have worried about that.
Yep, the kids being dumb is a mixed blessing. On the one hand, they didn't question how they got into an elite school with a 1000 or less SAT score. (The reporting consistently says the kids weren't told how they got in. One kid even told his mom on the way back from freshman orientation that his adviser mistakenly thought he was on the track team.)

On the other, once they're in they've got to be struggling unless they're all theater majors or something...
Old 03-14-2019, 12:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

Quote:
USDOJ does whatever the hell it wants. The fact that they had to resort to wire fraud, which is an all-encompassing charge when they really want to make an example of someone, is telling. If states were unwilling to enforce their own laws here, then that should be looked at too.
Where are your sense of ethics and morality? You have slid down the slippery slope of amorality where it has become normalized for you. You see nothing wrong with it..it is just business as usual.

The foolishness of it all is that these successful people have succumbed to the hype that the glittering name of a prestigious paragon of academia actually confers success upon you by association. What a joke it all is and the joke is on them.

These people actually believe the hype that by virtue of being an American you deserve to be number one. The real world says otherwise, and that is why America is slip sliding away.

If you want a sinister reason why these successful people were singled out it was to discredit and tear down the aura of their success as being based upon corruption. All to incite the wrath of the common folk that privilege stacks the deck against them.

Last edited by tabs; 03-14-2019 at 01:01 AM..
Old 03-14-2019, 12:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
Yep, the kids being dumb is a mixed blessing. On the one hand, they didn't question how they got into an elite school with a 1000 or less SAT score. (The reporting consistently says the kids weren't told how they got in. One kid even told his mom on the way back from freshman orientation that his adviser mistakenly thought he was on the track team.)

On the other, once they're in they've got to be struggling unless they're all theater majors or something...
Maybe they kept right on cheating after they got in.

I've had a peculiar slice of experience here. I am an instructor at a local university. I first taught there 2001-2002, then again in 2015, and now again starting last year. So I have a longitudinal(?) look at nearly a 20-year span. I think, anecdotally, that cheating is up, and it's just been made easier with the advent of smart phones. Maybe the former caused the latter, and maybe not, but it seems there is a correlation. It's discouraging because if the cheaters spent half as long studying as perfecting ever more sophisticated ways to cheat, they'd do fine in class.

I do know that the pressure placed on the kids--particularly the Asians--is high, and ever increasing. Apparently some rich white folks prefer to pay bribes directly so the little dears glide through life and pass along their parents' ****ty genes to the next generation.

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/1022378-yes-its-another-white-911-build.html
Old 03-14-2019, 12:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by URY914 View Post
I don't think the top two girls in the above photos really need college to get ahead in the world. I would be happy to hire them and pay them just to walk around the office.
Those two wimmins could just sit there in my office....you're just an overly demanding boss imo
Old 03-14-2019, 02:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)

Quote:
Rick, there are multiple cases where kids have been charged by local jurisdiction. You have created a crime if you pay someone to take the test. It is a crime if you take the test for someone else.

Maybe I don't understand what you are saying, This is a New York case. 7 students

7 students arrested in SAT cheating scheme - US news - Crime & courts | NBC News
Old 03-14-2019, 02:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilk View Post
Inflation sucks, it only cost $2.5 million to get Jared Kushner into Harvard, but that was in the 90's.
Interesting.

Remember That Time When Jared Kushner’s Dad Donated $2.5M to Harvard and Then His Son Got Into Harvard?
https://www.theroot.com/remember-that-time-when-jared-kushner-s-dad-donated-2-1833241931

If people were interested in what's fair, then all kids would get a chance at thriving in a caring loving household where they are encouraged to better themselves and feel they have a future place in this world.

Good grades and education just are not a priority for kids that think the system is set to screw them, and guess what? They are right as this incident proves.

Life is not fair, anyone pretending that it is, should be woken up from their little dream.
George, Architect
Old 03-14-2019, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)
Information Overloader

Because life is not fair, the progressive response to the elimination of life is not a dream from which to be awoken.

It is a nightmare.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)
"O"man(are we in trouble)

Wonder how many involved are democrats??
Old 03-14-2019, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)

Old 03-14-2019, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)

at least one of the parents was a doctor. he will lose his license if convicted of a felony.
Gone but not forgotten: 2003 R1100s BCR, 77 R100s, 09 S63 AMG, 74 911, 88 R100RS, 78 930, 01 996 C4, 05 Cayenne, 09 Audi TT, 03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans, 07 WRX STI, 03 R1150GSA, 78 R100/7, 01 Audi S4, 98 Audi A4, 98 R1200c, 78 GL1000, 92 Accord coupe, 89 KE100
Old 03-14-2019, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
Interesting.

Remember That Time When Jared Kushner’s Dad Donated $2.5M to Harvard and Then His Son Got Into Harvard?
https://www.theroot.com/remember-that-time-when-jared-kushner-s-dad-donated-2-1833241931

If people were interested in what's fair, then all kids would get a chance at thriving in a caring loving household where they are encouraged to better themselves and feel they have a future place in this world.

Good grades and education just are not a priority for kids that think the system is set to screw them, and guess what? They are right as this incident proves.

Life is not fair, anyone pretending that it is, should be woken up from their little dream.
I'm not tracking here. Are you saying that buying a way into a university because your parents have means makes it all good and that people just need to cope?
Old 03-14-2019, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: