Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Free Exams All November!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brshap View Post
Obviously outside of illegal discrimination, whats stopping them?
That reminds me of “other than that, how was the play Ms. Lincoln?”
Old 03-14-2019, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #141 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigster59 View Post
I would think with the advent of online courses and degrees the whole higher education "industry" will see a huge transition away from the norm, similar to what has happened in media and the way we watch movies and television.
Probably true, but as someone who is almost done with an MBA through online classes, I would add that the experience is quite a bit different and not necessarily better.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
That reminds me of “other than that, how was the play Ms. Lincoln?”
Does the exception of criminal activity really need to be spelled out in every post?
Old 03-14-2019, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigster59 View Post
I would think with the advent of online courses and degrees the whole higher education "industry" will see a huge transition away from the norm, similar to what has happened in media and the way we watch movies and television.
The transition has been going on for years. On-line courses at for-profit schools hand out meaningless degrees to government sponsored students (VA, low income, etc) and the taxpayer get to pay for it. The acceptance rate is 100% at for-profit colleges.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 03-14-2019, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #144 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brshap View Post
Does the exception of criminal activity really need to be spelled out in every post?
Let's say you start a private university in Irvine, CA and you do not ask race on the application. Let's say acceptance is based 100% on academic merit (grades and test scores) and nothing else - no community service hours, high school athletics, debate club trophy, no alumni legacy connection, etc. School offers no financial aid. It's all on you to come up with the money. Assuming the school is reputable and attracts the best and brightest, how long before there's a discrimination lawsuit (or worse) because 98% of the students are Chinese?
Old 03-14-2019, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #145 (permalink)

https://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2019/03/14/hallmark-severs-ties-with-full-house-star-lori-loughlin-amid-fallout-from-college-admissions-scheme/23692534/

"We are saddened by the recent news surrounding the college admissions allegations," Hallmark said in a statement. "We are no longer working with Lori Loughlin and have stopped development of all productions that air on the Crown Media Family Network channels involving Lori Loughlin."

While Loughlin is best known for her role on "Full House" (and its reboot, "Fuller House"), Hallmark is essentially her second career home. In addition to "When Calls the Heart," Loughlin will no longer appear in "Garage Sale Mysteries" nor the network's annual Christmas movie programming.

The announcement came just after makeup giant Sephora confirmed that it will no longer work with Loughlin's daughter, Olivia Jade. The teenager had become a prominent partner for the brand, filming demo videos for various products and launching her own makeup line.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #146 (permalink)

^^ Ouch...
Old 03-14-2019, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #147 (permalink)

You do the crime....you do the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner or later View Post
https://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2019/03/14/hallmark-severs-ties-with-full-house-star-lori-loughlin-amid-fallout-from-college-admissions-scheme/23692534/

"We are saddened by the recent news surrounding the college admissions allegations," Hallmark said in a statement. "We are no longer working with Lori Loughlin and have stopped development of all productions that air on the Crown Media Family Network channels involving Lori Loughlin."

While Loughlin is best known for her role on "Full House" (and its reboot, "Fuller House"), Hallmark is essentially her second career home. In addition to "When Calls the Heart," Loughlin will no longer appear in "Garage Sale Mysteries" nor the network's annual Christmas movie programming.

The announcement came just after makeup giant Sephora confirmed that it will no longer work with Loughlin's daughter, Olivia Jade. The teenager had become a prominent partner for the brand, filming demo videos for various products and launching her own makeup line.
Oh well! I won't lose any sleep over that.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148 (permalink)

And the hits just keep on coming! A half mill down the toilet

Lori's two girls withdrawing from USC..

The family reportedly agreed upon the plan of action to avoid Isabella Rose, 20, and Olivia Jade, 19, getting "viciously bullied" if they returned to the university.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149 (permalink)

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 03-14-2019, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #150 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
The bail amount of one million bucks is nuts. Accused murder suspects have lower bail.
Bail is based on ability to pay.

It is set by being high enough that you don't just want to walk away.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Late to the thread.

Interesting to differentiate who here among us can see that the issue being talked about the most isn't the issue the federal government is investigating.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #152 (permalink)

Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post
Rick, I'd suggest you consult a criminal lawyer before embarking on your next business venture . . . your instincts about what is and isn't a crime are not very accurate :-)
I can't stop laughing over this post. Understatement of the year so far.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #153 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner or later View Post
And the hits just keep on coming! A half mill down the toilet

Lori's two girls withdrawing from USC..

The family reportedly agreed upon the plan of action to avoid Isabella Rose, 20, and Olivia Jade, 19, getting "viciously bullied" if they returned to the university.
Just send them to one of the "Colleges of the Dumb Rich" on the east coast. Maybe Bennington or something. Here is the article, laugh at the 1987 tuition rates and nicknames, like "Dartmouth Lite."

(Scroll up and down for complete article):

https://books.google.com/books?id=UTXxn2wDUtwC&pg=PA59&lpg=PA59&dq=spy+magazine+colleges+of+the+dumb+rich&source=bl&ots=Y1Vg1jL6PR&sig=ACfU3U2Iwrl_jeneF91105f_Ce-_XL0mzA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjAiuHrx4ThAhWB7Z8KHfELAucQ6AEwCXoECAcQA Q#v=onepage&q=spy%20magazine%20colleges%20of%20the%20dumb%20ri ch&f=false

They would get nothing but sympathy and being hot chicks from LA, they would be VERY popular on the east coast. A HS buddy went to Boston College on a hockey scholarship, total stud. Tall, looked like a movie star, etc. Dated the hottest Swedish-American girl you've ever seen in Minnesota. I ran into him home on Christmas break during college and he told me that the girls were hideous in Boston.

Bennington has its own ski hill and is just a repository for drinking and anal sex. These girls would be the Belles of the Ball.

Last edited by speeder; 03-15-2019 at 10:20 AM..
Old 03-15-2019, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Admissions to the very top schools is an interesting process, which I went through with my kids and am glad to be done with.
I traveled the US and met with coaches from Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Williams, Amherst, Brown, Emory and several other top schools. Not for football, basketball or baseball.
It’s an interesting process. For the most part top schools don’t really care too much about sports, but they do care about “development” i.e. potential future donors/donations, i.e. money. So while they do look for good athletes, the kids on many of the teams tend to share very similar, let’s say, family financial and educational backgrounds. They are also, not surprisingly, almost entirely full pay students. That doesn’t happpen by accident.
I found there’s a lot of unwritten and unspoken things involved with the legal “backdoors” or “side doors” to the very top schools. To do it legally takes a pretty good measure of athletic talent and accomplishment, very high academic numbers and a good deal of resources to get it done.
My nephew rowed varsity for 4 years @ Yale, not only did it not have anything to do w his admission but no scholarship either. He was already admitted and met the coach during orientation week and invited to try out. He was a super HS athlete, (all-state swimmer, stand-out baseball player), but did not even try to use athletics to get into college. I met many of the other crew parents at a meet, they all seemed rich. One team mate was on the British National team, maybe he was a recruit. I never asked.

He was definitely a full pay student and fwiw, no legacy. No one in my family had ever gone to Yale. I would say that going to a school like that opens up incredible connections that follow you through life as well as it's a top tier education.

His younger brother, also an all-state swimmer, goes to Notre Dame. I foolishly asked my sister whether he would try to swim, she said that he could never make the team. He plays intramural water polo, studies and goes to football games. Having the time of his life.

I don't know how these dumb kids, (one had a 1000 SAT score), could survive in college classes. I went to the University of Minnesota 40 years ago and the classes were usually fairly challenging. Even theatre classes, which someone made a joke about, required reading Shakespeare and Moliere and writing analysis once in a while.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155 (permalink)

Wow! Re: Speeder's article on colleges for the rich and dumb. My H.S. girlfriend (not dumb) was sent off to Stephen's College (finishing school for women) by her rich family before she transferred to U of O. I guess one of the preprofessional skills she picked up there was a noticeable improvement on B.J.s. I wonder if that was part of the curriculum.

Last edited by Evans, Marv; 03-15-2019 at 09:11 AM..
Old 03-15-2019, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #156 (permalink)

500 billion, yes billion, class action lawsuit. Plus others lol

https://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2019/03/15/felicity-huffman-lori-loughlin-and-others-sued-by-angry-parent-for-dollar500-billion-over-college-admissions-scandal/23693140/

Jennifer Kay Toy filed a complaint on Wednesday in the Superior Court of California, County of San Francisco, against all the defendants in the college admissions bribery scandal, including Huffman, Loughlin, her husband, Mossimo Giannulli, businessman Gregory Abbot, private equity investor Bill McGlashan, and many others.

However, Toy is not the only one filing lawsuits against those accused of being involved in the scandal.

Erica Olsen and Kalea Woods, two Stanford students, filed a class action complaint on Wednesday against USC, Stanford, UCLA, the University of San Diego, the University of Texas at Austin, Wake Forest, Yale, and Georgetown for negligence and fraudulent behavior.

Their suit also names Singer,
Old 03-15-2019, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #157 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans, Marv View Post
Wow! Re: Speeder's article on colleges for the rich and dumb. My H.S. girlfriend (not dumb) was sent off to Stephen's College (finishing school for women) by her rich family before she transferred to U of O. I guess one of the preprofessional skills she picked up there was a noticeable improvement on B.J.s. I wonder if that was part of the curriculum.
Exact opposite: A had a HS girlfriend that earned an academic scholarship to Williams.

She forgot what a BJ was

The "Gentleman's C" has been around since the dawn of Universities...and will be soon after this particular "scandal" subsides. Adjustments will be made.

As an interesting aside, in my experience graduate schools are even worse...I got into one of the top five MBA programs in the world because I knew a guy who knew a guy. I did not go.

Same as it ever was.

Last edited by Seahawk; 03-15-2019 at 10:23 AM..
Old 03-15-2019, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #158 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: