Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

College entrance scandal

Feds allege coaches bribed for school admission

The FBI and federal prosecutors have uncovered a massive bribery scheme to get students admitted to elite universities as recruited athletes and help them cheat on college entrance exams to gain admission.

The U.S. Attorney's Office in Boston says the scheme, which it dubbed "Operation Varsity Blues," includes 50 people, including college coaches, actresses and CEOs who collectively paid $25 million to get their children into schools such as Georgetown, Stanford, UCLA, Texas, Wake Forest and Yale....

Hollywood actresses Felicity Huffman ("Desperate Housewives") and Lori Loughlin ("Full House") were among those who paid bribes to help their children gain admission into the universities, according to the indictment. Huffman was among 13 people taken into custody Tuesday in Los Angeles. Both actresses face one charge each of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud.

Parents spent anywhere from $200,000 to $6.5 million to guarantee their children's admission, officials said. Authorities called it the biggest college admissions scam ever prosecuted by the U.S. Justice Department....

More at link

Last edited by Sooner or later; 03-12-2019 at 12:16 PM..
Old 03-12-2019, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

If you're going to spend $6.5 million, why not just do it the "legal" way and "donate" it to the university (and probably get your name on a building in the process)?

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."

Last edited by legion; 03-12-2019 at 12:17 PM..
Old 03-12-2019, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You can't fix stupid.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
If you're going to spend $6.5 million, why not just do it the "legal" way and "donate" it to the university (and probably get your name on a building in the process)?
No kidding.

There was also cheating n SAT scores. One kid went from around a 1000 to 1400.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

This does not surprise me at all, even the UCLA part.
They DO NOT accept the most qualified students, seen that first hand.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
While this all sounds pretty bad, how is it illegal to pay someone to help your kid get into a school? What crime is that?
Old 03-12-2019, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Get off my lawn!

Garage
Ok, so the cheating to get in, and the fake the SAT scores. That does not make the kid smarter. Does he not have to pass the tests and learn the subject? Did they bribe the professors to give them better grades?

And yea, if you have 6.5 million to "donate" do it up front and get some season tickets to games and some invites to some parties withe the other big spenders. That what I did.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 03-12-2019, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
While this all sounds pretty bad, how is it illegal to pay someone to help your kid get into a school? What crime is that?
The money went to falsify info. Paid to cheat on ACT. Money to coaches so a scholarship was taken, some by students that had never participated in the sport. And they apparently used US mail in some capacity.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Information Overloader

Quote:
Why donít you just give the kid $6.5M and be done with It?
Old 03-12-2019, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
Ok, so the cheating to get in, and the fake the SAT scores. That does not make the kid smarter. Does he not have to pass the tests and learn the subject? Did they bribe the professors to give them better grades?

And yea, if you have 6.5 million to "donate" do it up front and get some season tickets to games and some invites to some parties withe the other big spenders. That what I did.

Doubt these kids are majoring in engineering or medicine. Iíve been told repeatedly that an Ivy League liberal arts degree is a cakewalk. Once theyíre in theyíre made.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Inflation sucks, it only cost $2.5 million to get Jared Kushner into Harvard, but that was in the 90's.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

These aren't universities. They're 4-year all-inclusive resorts.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I agree, money went to more than falsifying test scores and athletic records.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Especially private university.
For an undergraduate degree at that?!

ASU was connected to a scandal of chinese paying 3-5 grand for someone else to take the english proficiency exam... But I guess that's small fries.

IRR... What IRR!
Old 03-12-2019, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Bribery is a federal crime. Wire fraud or mail fraud may also apply.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Lori's kid is a class act.

https://www-nytimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/03/12/style/olivia-jade-giannulli-college-admissions-scandal.amp.html?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2019%2F03 %2F12%2Fstyle%2Folivia-jade-giannulli-college-admissions-scandal.html

After Ms. Giannulli arrived on campus, she began to incorporate college into her personal brand.

In a paid post for Prime Student, Amazon’s paid membership program for college students, Ms. Giannulli posed sitting on a bed, with the caption “Officially a college student! It’s been a few weeks since I moved into my dorm and I absolutely love it. I got everything I needed from Amazon with @primestudent and had it all shipped to me in just two-days.” (In a YouTube video posted in early September, Ms. Giannulli said that Amazon had “hooked me up with like, everything in my dorm.”)

In another post, an advertisement for Smile Direct Club, a company that sells dental aligners, Ms. Giannulli wrote: “For back-to-school season, I’ve been using a doctor-directed, at-home invisible aligner treatment.”

The fall semester at her school began on Aug. 20; a day later, Ms. Giannulli announced on Twitter that she had just arrived in Fiji. In a YouTube video, she said that she had gone for work.

Ms. Giannulli has been a public presence for several years, thanks to her frequent social media posting. She was criticized in August after posting a video with the title “basically all the tea you need to know about me (boys, college, youtubers)” in which she said that she was only going to college for “gamedays, partying.”

“I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know,” she said.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
"O"man(are we in trouble)

Quote:
Taking the tests for someone else, called cheating.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Quote:
https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/investigations-college-admissions-and-testing-bribery-scheme
Old 03-12-2019, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
unusually large member

Location: Rancho Mescalero, on the high, high desert of New Mexico
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbob View Post
Why donít you just give the kid $6.5M and be done with It?

So true, so true.
various shoes, feet (2)
box
Old 03-12-2019, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:

Sadly it means a deserving kid misses out because the available space was taken up by a cheat.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: