Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

IRS short form. Post card?

I just got home from my tax accountant. Apparently the idea that you could do your taxes in a post card size form isn't quite that simple. I guess to use the "short form" you need about seven other forms to properly fill it out. Is anyone using the "simplified" form this year?
Old 03-27-2019, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
The tax package from my accountant was about 1/4 inch thick. Same as last year.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
We used Turbo Tax on-line. Relatively quick and easy. E-filed the forms and got our refunds(!) from both Fed and State within 2 weeks or so.

I was surprised as this was during the gov't shut down if I remember correctly. Well worth the money in my book. I HATE accounting stuff.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

The print out from the actual e-file could be a postcard. The IRS only looks at the supporting forms if the computer kicks your return out for review. Otherwise it's a very mechanical/digital process not touched by human hands.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

My taxes are relatively simple. If I was an employee, 1040EZ would've sufficed but I'm self employed so I have to do the long form. This year it took 8 pages to file. Last year was 5. With the same income.

It wasn't difficult at all but annoying how you have to do this schedule first but you need line 12 from this schedule to add to that schedule before adding to line 26 of the first schedule before you can enter in your income on line 4 of the first schedule. It's just ridiculously complicated when it doesn't have to be.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I envy you guys (I think) as our returns are @ an 1" thick and require hundreds of pounds of flesh along with them.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Douglas View Post
We used Turbo Tax on-line. Relatively quick and easy. E-filed the forms and got our refunds(!) from both Fed and State within 2 weeks or so.

I was surprised as this was during the gov't shut down if I remember correctly. Well worth the money in my book. I HATE accounting stuff.
I use TurboTax, too. Keep all my business stuff in QuickBooks, import it to TurboTax--all pretty easy. Meshes well with the wife and my W2 incomes, too. Stopped using a "tax service" many years ago--back when you actually had to buy the TurboTax discs each year.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Used to be able to get the forms at the public library. Now I just order what I need directly from the IRS.

This year they have combined several schedules in one package along with the 1040.

Not sure anything else has really changed though.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The "post card" form is for those that don't itemize. Not likely many of those folks on a Porsche forum.

'83 SC Targa - since 5/5/2001
'06 911 S Aerokit - from 5/2/2016 to 11/14/2018
Old 03-27-2019, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Besides, you would just use free file. right?

I'm taking it on the chin, I'm sure many of us are.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Iíve been using Free Tax Act the last few years and it goes pretty quick. I started a small llc last year and the online program even has schedule C on it. Took me about 45 minutes and cost $12 including state and e-filing everything.

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 03-27-2019, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I thought it might be REAL tax reform. Not quite what it was advertised to be. Although big corporations got a great big tax break so there's that. I think the tax laws were written for big bidness anyway.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Mach .86 View Post
I thought it might be REAL tax reform. Not quite what it was advertised to be. Although big corporations got a great big tax break so there's that. I think the tax laws were written for big bidness anyway.
been saying this all along.

they took page one, cut it in half and all the rest is just additional schedules to add.

complete and total BS.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
I see you

I just call "the guy", ok so my guy is a woman but you get the idea.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 03-27-2019, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: