Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Do tariffs on them = taxes on us? (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/1031814-do-tariffs-them-taxes-us.html)

dennis in se pa 06-10-2019 09:04 AM

Do tariffs on them = taxes on us?

Hope this does not belong in PARF. If so please move it.
If we impose tariffs on a foreign country they pay them = more money in our treasury. They then will pass the increased cost along to the consumer = us. The higher price we pay is then in effect the same as a tax increase on the consumer. Is my reasoning wrong somewhere?

speeder 06-10-2019 09:05 AM

Yes, additional tax on us.

KC911 06-10-2019 09:15 AM

It's not a tax on "them", but on goods from them, paid by the US consumer.

And it's just as stoooopid as it always has been :(.

You can tax China furniture 1000% more....but it's not coming back here..never.

Just higher prices...

nota 06-10-2019 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC911 (Post 10486915)
It's not a tax on "them", but on goods from them, paid by the US consumer.

And it's just as stoooopid as it always has been :(.

You can tax China furniture 1000% more....but it's not coming back here..never.

Just higher prices...

NO the price point that we can pay american workers exists
so made in USA furniture can be made at a profit if the tax/tariff is over that point

but in the real world they just shift to thai or viet production
and unless we tax/tariff all furniture imports production will not come back SmileWavy

vash 06-10-2019 09:31 AM

cant wait to eat a $5 avocado!!

Jims5543 06-10-2019 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vash (Post 10486944)

We have plenty of Avocado's here in Florida, we try to buy local and support our local farmers as much as we can. We do this with all our food purchases.

We purchase from our local green market every Sunday, we use local produce stands and farmer co-ops to buy our proteins.

I am fairly confident my price paid fro Avocado's will remain the same.

KC911 06-10-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

You should have moved to NYC years ago :)!

Furniture manufactoring left this area...it's NEVER coming back...nope!

Sooner or later 06-10-2019 09:39 AM

China has abused trade for decades.

Currently 15% tariff of auto and auto part imports.
Want to open a factory in China. Gonna be a joint venture with forced transfer of technology.
Limits on emissions. China shoots you the bird. Environmental standards. Forget it.
Sweat shops. China loves em.
Illegal immigration. Read up on the massive protests going on in Hong Kong.
Less spending on US military. China has a goal to be the world power by 2050. Using our money.
Product dumping. The EU currently has tarriffs on dumped Chinese steel.

In nearly all instances the things we want our society to accept China is 180 degrees away.

All for a less expensive IPhone

widebody911 06-10-2019 09:47 AM

Want to open a factory in China. Gonna be a joint venture with forced transfer of technology.

This is the part that I've never understood. I can imagine the American CEO saying to himself "Yeah, they're going to steal our IP and clone our products within 5 years, but I get a new yacht, so it's all good"

cabmando 06-10-2019 10:29 AM

It's only a tax on consumers if the consumers choose to pay the tax.

URY914 06-10-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabmando (Post 10487037)
It's only a tax on consumers if the consumers choose to pay the tax.

Try to live without buying something made in China.

Tervuren 06-10-2019 10:38 AM

In a trade imbalance the cost is also passed on to the consumer as the consumer loses power and control to a foreign power.

Yes, a tarrif on Chinese imported steel raises the price of cheap screws.

But that is not the only potential change.

The short term change for suppliers unable to change sources or raise prices spells trouble.

With the USA, the Tarriffs that keep being brought up are primarily tools used for countries that are not acting as our friends. These are meant to bring about a change in attitude than any other purpose. When the table is no longer tilted, their time will fade.

pwd72s 06-10-2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner or later (Post 10486963)
China has abused trade for decades.

Currently 15% tariff of auto and auto part imports.
Limits on emissions. China shoots you the bird. Environmental standards. Forget it.
Sweat shops. China loves em.
Illegal immigration. Read up on the massive protests going on in Hong Kong.
Less spending on US military. China has a goal to be the world power by 2050. Using our money.
Product dumping. The EU currently has tarriffs on dumped Chinese steel.

In nearly all instances the things we want our society to accept China is 180 degrees away.

All for a less expensive IPhone

Thank God somebody here gets it...

cabmando 06-10-2019 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by URY914 (Post 10487050)
Try to live without buying something made in China.

Not as hard as you think it would be really. I don't need a computer, phone, tablet, tv.. whatever. I can afford to wait this out and so could most consumers if they want to. I can flip the item over and see "made in China" and then decide if I actually NEED it. Not hard to do. Consumers have the power to dictate whether the tariff gets passed onto them or not...

cabmando 06-10-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

My Turkey Bacon Guac wrap at Subway was in danger of costing more!

URY914 06-10-2019 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabmando (Post 10487060)
Not as hard as you think it would be really. I don't need a computer, phone, tablet, tv.. whatever. I can afford to wait this out and so could most consumers if they want to. I can flip the item over and see "made in China" and then decide if I actually NEED it. Not hard to do. Consumers have the power to dictate whether the tariff gets passed onto them or not...

Easier said than done my friend....

fintstone 06-10-2019 11:05 AM

It is only a tax if you continue to buy the item regardless of the higher prices. Hopefully, leveling the playing field a bit would encourage U.S. manufacture and although the prices might be slightly higher, tariffs collected and taxes on U.S.-manufactured goods, U.S. employees making them, etc...would ease taxes nd the deficit/debt.

As it is, we are helping China build a military to confront our own. If they buy more offense, we must buy more defense.

wilnj 06-10-2019 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by widebody911 (Post 10486977)

This is the part that I've never understood. I can imagine the American CEO saying to himself "Yeah, they're going to steal our IP and clone our products within 5 years, but I get a new yacht, so it's all good"

It's actually more like "My board wants me to increase revenues by 10% every year. The domestic market is saturated, Europe isn't interested and the rest of the world is still a war zone. If I make this deal I get access to a new customer base of 1 billion people and by the time this all falls apart, I'll have a boatload of options, plus I've got my golden parachute."

RWebb 06-10-2019 11:50 AM

or if you buy something that has the items (parts) in it - like a car

China has been cheating outright and/or gaming the system for decades - something needed to be done, tho not sure if this it

BTW, robots can manf. furniture...

KC911 06-10-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilnj (Post 10487151)
It's actually more like "My board wants me to increase revenues by 10% every year. The domestic market is saturated, Europe isn't interested and the rest of the world is still a war zone. If I make this deal I get access to a new customer base of 1 billion people and by the time this all falls apart, I'll have a boatload of options, plus I've got my golden parachute."

^^^ This. With nothing but short term corporate mentality over the same span....mebbe three decades....and here we are....just more self-inflicted bs :(