Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Will somebody please kill bambi? (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/1033274-will-somebody-please-kill-bambi.html)

wdfifteen 06-27-2019 07:24 AM

Will somebody please kill bambi?
 
Last year they nearly ruined my apple trees. This spring they munched their way through the strawberries.
Last night - arghh! The early sweet corn was about 5 days from being ready to eat. Last night a gang of deer stomped through the corn patch and ate every ear of nearly-ripe corn. At first I thought it might have been raccoons, but the deer left their footprints. The next batch of corn is about two weeks away from being ripe. :mad::mad:



http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1561648949.jpg

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1561648949.jpg

bmcuscgr94 06-27-2019 07:35 AM

Careful you don't want PETA after you. :rolleyes:

We gave up a couple of years ago and put up deer fence around the garden (50' X 150'). Now the problem is gophers. I can't tell from your photo how big your corn patch is, so fencing may not be an option. Deer don't seem to be interested in our 17 acres of walnuts. Ground squirrels and gophers are the problem there.

bkreigsr 06-27-2019 07:41 AM

Couple of these (4) strategically place around the yard did the trick for me.
This year, so far, my tender veggies are still intact.

https://www.ebay.com/p/2-PAck-Solar-Powered-Predator-LED-Eye-Pro-Night-Wild-Animal-Repeller/2283093579?thm=1000

Bill K

Tobra 06-27-2019 08:00 AM

Go to a hunting/fishing shop and get some urine from a predator, like a fox or wolf. Also, mark it yourself, if you get my meaning.

Seahawk 06-27-2019 08:08 AM

Get a Minivan, drive it fast on rural roads...catnip to deer.

Problem solved:cool:

There is really no one answer other than layered defense...the suggestions above are excellent.

I do not know what the laws are where you are, or the lay out of your property, but I allow hunters to set up stands and hunt my farm. You can even specify bow or shotgun only. I vet everyone.

There is a crazy amount of deer here.

island911 06-27-2019 08:48 AM

LOL ^

Self driving cars needed.

KC911 06-27-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdfifteen (Post 10505186)

Funny lookin' deer tracks :). They are thriving here...have been for a loooong time. Kiss yer corn adios...

Set out a trail cam or two...you might be shocked at how many your little parsdise supports....at least 20 munching at our trees....groups of 2-3...like clockwork. They don't range far (1 mi. radius)...yer buffet is tasty...they'll be back ;).

Sooner or later 06-27-2019 09:24 AM

Deer tracks?

BK911 06-27-2019 09:25 AM

Get an outdoor dog.
Mine chased away (or ate) every deer, possum, coon, squirrel, bear, etc..
I have found deer carcasses on my porch.
One pooch is a Rhodesian Ridgeback, so no lion issues either!

KC911 06-27-2019 09:30 AM

I think my Lab pup just thinks they belong in her yard...just 20' below her as she lounged on my deck last week...one even went to check the mailbox ;). They don't seem to mind the local fox either....

arcsine 06-27-2019 09:36 AM

Reintroduce natural predators; wolves, cougars, mountain lions, coyotes and accept that they will do a much better job of controlling the population than we ever could.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1561656988.jpg

Scott Douglas 06-27-2019 09:41 AM

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1561657100.JPG

Best gopher killer I've used yet. Fought 'em for years in our garden with gopher bombs, water down the holes, etc etc to no avail. Finally bought this pack of gum. Two sticks is all it took. Haven't seen hide nor hair of them since.

My experience with deer is limited to what I dealt with up on the vineyard. A very tall fence is what kept them out.

stevej37 06-27-2019 09:53 AM

On any given morning, I can see 8-15 deer out behind my house. They leave the garden and shrubs alone in the summer because they have plenty of other food. In the dead of winter, they will come into the yard and strip all the arborvitaes all the way up to the house.

WolfeMacleod 06-27-2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcsine (Post 10505382)
Reintroduce natural predators; wolves, cougars, mountain lions, coyotes and accept that they will do a much better job of controlling the population than we ever could.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1561656988.jpg

Then the cattle ranchers will complain...

Evans, Marv 06-27-2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Douglas (Post 10505385)
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1561657100.JPG

Best gopher killer I've used yet. Fought 'em for years in our garden with gopher bombs, water down the holes, etc etc to no avail. Finally bought this pack of gum. Two sticks is all it took. Haven't seen hide nor hair of them since.

My experience with deer is limited to what I dealt with up on the vineyard. A very tall fence is what kept them out.

Scott. I tried the gum thing & it didn't work at all. I also tried the poison bait down the gopher holes. They pushed the bait up on top of the dirt they pushed out of the holes. There are a couple of good comments about deer prevention here.

Icemaster 06-27-2019 10:40 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-62100-Activated-Sprinkler-Detection/dp/B009F1R0GC/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=orbit+62100&qid=1561660716&s=l awn-garden&sr=1-3

Solved it for me. I also water my plants using personal reserves from time to time. Neighbors love me.

Ziggythecat 06-27-2019 10:43 AM

Bought one of these, but haven't had the heart to use it...yet.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1561660958.jpg

arcsine 06-27-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfeMacleod (Post 10505420)
Then the cattle ranchers will complain...

And that is unavoidable.
I've learned one thing over the years and that is regardless of any solution proposed to any problem, someone will complain about something.
Sorry but nature always demands that you are willing to take some bad with the good.

Rinty 06-27-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK911 (Post 10505366)
One pooch is a Rhodesian Ridgeback, so no lion issues either!

I had two of them.

In Africa they also use them to keep the baboons out of the orchards.

They're pretty tough dogs, with great dispositions.

Sooner or later 06-27-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcsine (Post 10505487)
And that is unavoidable.
I've learned one thing over the years and that is regardless of any solution proposed to any problem, someone will complain about something.
Sorry but nature always demands that you are willing to take some bad with the good.

Correct

We have invaded their territory, offer them up a buffet and then we get upset if they take us up on the offer.

We don't get mad at the house dog of he eats the t bone we place on the floor.

Scott Douglas 06-27-2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evans, Marv (Post 10505431)
Scott. I tried the gum thing & it didn't work at all. I also tried the poison bait down the gopher holes. They pushed the bait up on top of the dirt they pushed out of the holes. There are a couple of good comments about deer prevention here.

Don't know what to tell you Marv. When I opened the package of gum I could smell the spearment from it a good two feet away. I was also very careful not to actually touch the gum itself, just the paper wrapper, when putting it down the holes. For whatever reasons it worked, thankfully. I've also tried the strichnine laced gopher bait to no avail too.

Zeke 06-27-2019 12:56 PM

Razor wire around the garden? Electrified for extra measure.

pete3799 06-27-2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner or later (Post 10505365)
Deer tracks?

Don't look like deer tracks to me either.

Seahawk 06-27-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete3799 (Post 10505609)
Don't look like deer tracks to me either.

"Bambi" is the hot neighbor, in flip flops, with a corn fetish.

This has nothing to do with deer.

RWebb 06-27-2019 03:37 PM

based on this "losing apples" thread, I can't wait for the next Lyme Disease thread

Crowbob 06-27-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner or later (Post 10505535)
Correct

We have invaded their territory, offer them up a buffet and then we get upset if they take us up on the offer.

We don't get mad at the house dog of he eats the t bone we place on the floor.

I wouldn't shoot a deer unless I had to. But if I did it would be with a pellet gun right in the eye so it could go home and tell its friends and family to stay off my lawn.

Dirty, rotten and worthless animals they are.

gduke2010 06-27-2019 05:27 PM

They don't look like split hooves. Maybe not a good picture?

BeyGon 06-27-2019 06:08 PM

looks like you need a bear, talk to Varmit.

wdfifteen 06-27-2019 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Douglas (Post 10505385)
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1561657100.JPG

Best gopher killer I've used yet. Fought 'em for years in our garden with gopher bombs, water down the holes, etc etc to no avail. Finally bought this pack of gum. Two sticks is all it took. Haven't seen hide nor hair of them since.

My experience with deer is limited to what I dealt with up on the vineyard. A very tall fence is what kept them out.

Interesting. One of the deer repellents I use is peppermint based. I use it and Plantskid, which is dried blood, on my apple trees and haven't had a deer attack them all season.

wdfifteen 06-27-2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete3799 (Post 10505609)
Don't look like deer tracks to me either.

What else would they be? They are the right size and shape for deer. The hooves don't appear to be cloven, but that has to be an anomaly - clogged with mud or something.

KC911 06-28-2019 01:58 AM

Got any more pics? Those do not appear to be deer tracks....

Mebbe the lower imprint stepped over the top one? Get another pic...

rfuerst911sc 06-28-2019 03:06 AM

We have plenty of deer/rabbits and the occasional black bears to contend with . My wife read online that Irish Spring brand soap is a good repellent . You take bars of soap and shave them down into smaller slices . Take cheese cloth or similar and make bags with the Irish Spring shavings in them . Hang them around your garden and the theory is they don't like the smell and will go elsewhere . We have game cameras and while we do see deer we don't see them going near the garden . Your results may vary :D

kach22i 06-28-2019 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdfifteen (Post 10505186)
Last year they nearly ruined my apple trees. This spring they munched their way through the strawberries.
Last night - arghh! The early sweet corn was about 5 days from being ready to eat.

Sounds like you have found the secret recipe for converting crops into Venison.

Man verses nature..........good luck with that.


https://www.gardeners.com/how-to/keeping-animals-out/5452.html
https://www.gardeners.com/on/demandw...1_01V_grid.jpg
Quote:

Fencing is the only sure-fire way to keep wild and domestic animals out of a prized garden. Although it can be expensive to keep out large animals, such as deer, it may be the only way to protect your yard from costly damage. Here are some points to keep in mind:
In one trip that lead me between country and city I noticed a fence dome that was about 40 feet in diameter.

Maybe search Craigslist for a worn out Geodesic dome and staple chicken wire to the open frames?

Perhaps two baseball domes face to face?

https://reliablefenceboston.com/allvinyl
https://reliablefenceboston.com/site...?itok=XO3kaJ5n

The 10 acre Frank Lloyd Wright house/estate I was at last year had high fences and raised beds as in the first image.

Crowbob 06-28-2019 07:11 AM

So this AM I happen to look out the window waiting for the coffee to be done and I see two small piles of mulch maybe the size of a figallon bucket’s worth smack in the middle of my lawn.

Coffee got done so I poured myself a cup and slid open the slider to check out this new development.

Those two piles of mulch jumped about 4 feet straight up, hit the ground running on four spindly-swivel legs with the whitest of two white tails high-tailing it outta there.

Fawns.

Got to get me a dog. Thinking very small German Shepherd 24-7 on perimeter patrol.

The other day I was nearly close enough to stab one. That loathsome thing stared at me, wondering what that goofy thing yelling at me wants now?

Muthureffers.

Sooner or later 06-28-2019 07:15 AM

Do you live in a rural area?

MBAtarga 06-28-2019 07:22 AM

When we purchased our current house, we wanted enough land to have a garden and for me to have a workshop. First year in, we cleared an area 35'x65' for a garden. The dimensions were chosen so that a 200' roll of wire fencing would surround the area. We also knew there were deer in the area - as they actually pass through our property every other night or so as a herd. I used wooden 6' fence posts - sunk 2' in the ground and then used electric fencing posts inserted holes drilled in the top of the fence posts. I bought an electric fence charger and wire from a Craigslist add for $40 or so and went to town. As it ends up - I haven't even had to energize the fence - ever. I guess I consider myself fortunate. We have had ZERO issues with wildlife in the garden.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1561735245.JPG

Crowbob 06-28-2019 07:22 AM

Yes, sorta. SL,

Township officially calls it low-density residential. 1A minimum lots in pockets of huge Ag-rec plats, State and National forests. Really tough zoning, too.

Goddamn deer got no right whatsoever to live here.

Filthy things. Two years ago the Giant Mammoth Gargantuan or whatever hosta that I’ve been nurturing met its demise on account of three of them chatting away with giant green leaves hanging from their organs of wanton destruction.

vash 06-28-2019 07:29 AM

WD. how big is the garden? is is cost prohibitive to put a tall fence around it?

i've seen some nice hog-fence options around some of our local gardens. the deer stand outside, staring at the succulents from afar.

Crowbob 06-28-2019 07:30 AM

Oh there’s lotsa ways to protect food plots.

But how do you keep the diseased overgrown rodents out of potentially award-winning home landscaping? I mean esthetically.

I can’t nuke em with poison fire from space, a right they have justly earned, so a dog is in my future. A smart dog.

Sooner or later 06-28-2019 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBAtarga (Post 10506318)
When we purchased our current house, we wanted enough land to have a garden and for me to have a workshop. First year in, we cleared an area 35'x65' for a garden. The dimensions were chosen so that a 200' roll of wire fencing would surround the area. We also knew there were deer in the area - as they actually pass through our property every other night or so as a herd. I used wooden 6' fence posts - sunk 2' in the ground and then used electric fencing posts inserted holes drilled in the top of the fence posts. I bought an electric fence charger and wire from a Craigslist add for $40 or so and went to town. As it ends up - I haven't even had to energize the fence - ever. I guess I consider myself fortunate. We have had ZERO issues with wildlife in the garden.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1561735245.JPG

You were smart and took charge from day 1 so they didn't develop the habit of easy food.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website


DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.