Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Brew Master

Garage
Guess I can scratch a Ford Focus off the list of cars for my kids

OOF! They have a mess on their hands with this the way it looks.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/ford-knew-focus-fiesta-had-flawed-transmission-sold-them-anyway/ar-AAEb0x6?li=BBnbfcN

The funny thing is, after the catalytic converter failure that resulted in engine issues with my son's Hyundai Veloster I was going to trade it in on a Focus. Back to Subaru for me!
Old 07-11-2019, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Pinto redux !
Old 07-11-2019, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The powershift auto is a known POS, thats why all of them you see are priced so low. The manual versions are completely fine.

I daily drive a focus ST which I got very cheap with rebates and it is a good fun car. My last daily, which I still have, is a 131k mile wrx wagon. It has required alot of maintenance in the last 10k miles. Subaru OEM parts are quite expensive as well and awd flat layout makes some maintenance items a nightmare.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Have you considered a Ford Mustang?
Old 07-11-2019, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tervuren View Post
Have you considered a Ford Mustang?
No... but my 17 year old son has..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
The powershift auto is a known POS, thats why all of them you see are priced so low. The manual versions are completely fine.

I daily drive a focus ST which I got very cheap with rebates and it is a good fun car. My last daily, which I still have, is a 131k mile wrx wagon. It has required alot of maintenance in the last 10k miles. Subaru OEM parts are quite expensive as well and awd flat layout makes some maintenance items a nightmare.
My son said he'd like to get one with a manual but I see it as something that will just get old after a while. I drove manuals in my first 3 or 4 cars... then got tired of shifting. I have been discouraging the idea of a manual but maybe I shouldn't be?

Last edited by cabmando; 07-11-2019 at 01:57 PM..
Old 07-11-2019, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabmando View Post
My taste in cars sure has changed since I was a teenager and had the money saved up for when the time was right to buy a Porsche.

It is my opinion a little passion for whatever car is being driven isn't a bad thing, helps focus on taking care of it.

I still have and enjoy working on the 944. Looking at my join date, that was 15 years go.

For me, the change is broadening of taste. I still love a manual gearbox four cylinder hatchback.

Last edited by Tervuren; 07-11-2019 at 01:54 PM..
Old 07-11-2019, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Brew Master

Garage
Both my daughter and son do a good job of taking care of their cars. My son is constantly cleaning his Veloster. He likes a nice clean shiny car. My daughter isn't as picky but still likes her car to be clean. I'm going to be in the market for a car for my youngest pretty soon and was really considering a focus. Subaru's are just a bit pricey for the mileage.

I used to love driving my manual trans cars but it just got old after a while. I like driving my 911 but wouldn't go back to a manual for a DD.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

yeah I have had 3 wrxs in the last 17 years, I am emotionally attached to them but in general I think subaru's resale is too high for them to make sense.

I think focus is still a decent idea, if and only if you decide to get a manual of course. I drive in alot of traffic and don't mind a manual at all. Clutches are super light in modern cars and sycros work very well, so low effort.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Maybe before I take redo the synchros/sliders/dog teeth in my 915 I should take him out and let him drive it so he knows what a bad shifting (1&2 only) manual feels like. Plus it would give him some experience for going out and test driving a few if he decides he wants to move on from his Veloster.

I've been a Subaru fan for years now. Had my first one when I was 18 (47 now). The resale on the newer ones is getting out of hand. I wouldn't mind paying what some are asking for the older Impreza hatchbacks if I could find one with good maintenance records and knew I wasn't going to have to deal with the timing belt and water pump in the near future as well as the known 2.5L head gasket issues. The cars will run for many many miles if maintained properly... it's just hard finding that car. I'd love to get my youngest a Crosstrek but those things are just crazy.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to petrolhead611
I drove my former Ford Focus
, manual shift , 249000 miles ,in 9 years, then bought my first automatic, a Hyundai. I would not go back to a manual for daily driving.
Vindicator Vulcan V8 spyder, street legal sports racing car
(300hp,1400 lbs kerb weight) used for sprints on circuits, and hillclimbs
Old 07-11-2019, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
The manual versions are completely fine.
Which is great for kids because they are busier driving and have less time to devote to passengers, cell phones, the radio, etc....
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 07-11-2019, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
I think focus is still a decent idea, if and only if you decide to get a manual of course. I drive in alot of traffic and don't mind a manual at all. Clutches are super light in modern cars and sycros work very well, so low effort.
Exactly, as long as it's not a big block anything from the 60's or an econobox from the 80s or early 90s with a really bad shifter.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Auto Subaru, no thanks CVT.

Was looking for newer car crossed off everything with a CVT, when they fail they are scrap no chance of rebuild, dealer item only.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Personality, ability, and environment really play a lot in manual vs auto.

I genuinely enjoy the automatic in my 2009 Jaguar XK. It is my car of choice if I have to visit the "rat race" areas with short sighted stupid drivers in abundance.

However, for driving around on single lane roads that don't engender as much red misted driving, I love my 944 and 'Vette; both manuals.

There are so many trade offs with cars. the 944 gets run over by SUV's, I've had to go offroad. However, the small size is great in parking situations.

The baby SUV's are popular for solid reasons, small wheel base and track, yet tall enough to be seen.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tervuren View Post
Personality, ability, and environment really play a lot in manual vs auto.

I genuinely enjoy the automatic in my 2009 Jaguar XK. It is my car of choice if I have to visit the "rat race" areas with short sighted stupid drivers in abundance.

However, for driving around on single lane roads that don't engender as much red misted driving, I love my 944 and 'Vette; both manuals.

There are so many trade offs with cars. the 944 gets run over by SUV's, I've had to go offroad. However, the small size is great in parking situations.

The baby SUV's are popular for solid reasons, small wheel base and track, yet tall enough to be seen.
I've got a 6 spd Boxster S. I'd happily have a Macan or something with an auto for times that I'm cruising with the missus.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
I got a car when I was 16. I wanted a stick. Never had anything but until I made the mistake of buying a DSG gti 4 years ago....lame and loads of transmission problems the dealer couldn’t even figure out. Now I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and obviously it has to have an auto but if I was ever going to get a wrangler or smaller car, no way it would be anything but manual.....I’m almost 50 and had many cars and all but 2 were manual. Point is, I’m really glad I learned on a stick and that my parents didn’t try to change my mind. I think it’s great the kid is interested in learning and I would definitely support that

... and for work, I drive probably at least 4K miles a month and definitely miss my stick shift

Quote:

My son said he'd like to get one with a manual but I see it as something that will just get old after a while. I drove manuals in my first 3 or 4 cars... then got tired of shifting. I have been discouraging the idea of a manual but maybe I shouldn't be?

Last edited by ramonesfreak; 07-11-2019 at 04:00 PM..
Old 07-11-2019, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
OOF! They have a mess on their hands with this the way it looks.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/ford-knew-focus-fiesta-had-flawed-transmission-sold-them-anyway/ar-AAEb0x6?li=BBnbfcN

The funny thing is, after the catalytic converter failure that resulted in engine issues with my son's Hyundai Veloster I was going to trade it in on a Focus. Back to Subaru for me!
Even after a large class action suit, Ford is still putting the Cyclone V6 in the new Taurus vehicles. The issue is the internal water pump that runs on the timing chain in the center of the V. Once they fail they dump coolant directly below into the oil pan resulting in catastrophic failure of the engine.

That being said, the 2015-2017 Mustangs used the same Cyclone V6 engine where they replaced the internal water pump of the Taurus with an idler on the chain and front mounted a new belt driven water pump. I think if one were looking for a used Ford automobile, the V6 mustang of those years has a lot to offer.....uses regular fuel and gets decent mileage while making more than 300 HP. Too bad they discontinued it for the 2018 models and offer only the 2.3 4 cylinder "Ecoboom" or the big V8.

As for Subaru, I still own 3 Legacy wagons, I'm not sold on the CVT just yet and the last 4 or 5 speed automatic in a Subaru ended in 2014. You can still get a manual shift in the newest Impreza base model as a "budget" vehicle.

Last edited by SCadaddle; 07-11-2019 at 04:41 PM..
Old 07-11-2019, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

Wow, that’s criminal neglect, and if anyone dies, all directors of Ford should be charged with homicide...
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 07-11-2019, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthn View Post
Wow, that’s criminal neglect, and if anyone dies, all directors of Ford should be charged with homicide...
Pretty sh.tty that's for sure. As bad as Hyundai/Kia having an issue that causes the engine to shut down without warning while driving that also takes the engine out. It's sad that an accident has to happen before these issues get addressed.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCadaddle View Post
As for Subaru, I still own 3 Legacy wagons, I'm not sold on the CVT just yet and the last 4 or 5 speed automatic in a Subaru ended in 2014. You can still get a manual shift in the newest Impreza base model as a "budget" vehicle.
Just reading up on that.

I think that's when they started:
-Brake Assist (brakes hard even if you are pushing soft)
-Brake Override (stops throttle when braking which mean drive-by-wire)
-EyeSight® Driver Assist Technology, DriverFocus Distraction Mitigation System, Blind-Spot Detection/Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, Apple CarPlay™ and Android™ Auto Integration, and the machines that go bing!

I like to control the car, not the other way around.
That sort of sours me to the idea of a new Subaru.

Drive-by-wire is bad?
I was recently driving a newer Prius at night out-of-state on vacation, sitting at a red light, when some young girl came racing up behind and was obviously not going to stop in time. I could see the blue glow of her phone inside and blond head down. The road was clear ahead so I stomped on the gas hard. What did that drive-by-wire car do? Nothing! It just sat there doing nothing for three full seconds! I watched her get closer and closer. She finally slammed on the brakes and ended up sideways about an inch from my rear bumper. Considering today's plastic cars that would have been a total.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: