Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche 996 or 928??

I've seen Porsche articles touting the 996 and other articles describing the 928 as 'best current values in the Porsche stable. Recently I've noticed that prices for Porsche 996's and 928's have reached something of a parity -- both cars can be had for 'around $20m (obviously with examples both higher and lower)

This has me curious as to which of these cars would Pelicans prefer to have? -- for any reason whatsoever. Clearly this is an 'apples to oranges choice, but in terms of 'Porsche experience per $dollar$ it's a comparison that collector/enthusiasts might make.

Suppose you had a dear departed uncle who willed you either of these cars from his collection (or the money to buy one) -- which would you choose?

While this is obviously is a value question, it's actually more of a preference question -- which car would give you greater Porsche satisfaction for the dollars invested?

Personally, since I've never driven either car, I have no clue! But I'm very curious to hear what other might think!

-----------------------------------------
"A man must consider what a rich realm he abdicates when he becomes a conformist." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~ (thanks to Pat Keefe)
Old 07-12-2019, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

I thought 928s bottomed out in the 4 digit range many years ago. I've always thought they were cool, and would love to drive one. I think owning one might be a pain WRT parts availability and that sort of thing. I think the grail of 928s is a mid 90s (94-96?) GTS with manual trans, and those command quite a bit more than $4k.

Still, if I was about to buy a car, and the choice was between those two, I'd probably go with the 996.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 07-12-2019, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
I'd choose the 996 because it's a very accomplished car. They drive incredibly well.

I haven't driven a 928 but they look dated IMO.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

How well can you spin a wrench? not too many people who can maintain a 928.
GT vs Sporty GT.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

928s seem to be either very rough or very nice, and not that many in between.

I think the right 928 is super cool, but that is a manual later model in good shape. I think these are still 40k cars.

im sure 996 is a better car being so much newer, but 928 is certainly the more interesting car IMHO
Old 07-12-2019, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Own and drive a 928 GTS manual, love it.

No problem finding parts. There are a couple of go to places, new and used.

Careful, a 4K car can car set you back an additional 10K to make it a 10K car.

Mine has more than doubled in value since I got it 10 years ago for $40K. It is an excellent example, not concours. But is a unique color, 1 of 4.

Realistic difference in driving is the 928 us just as capable (set FTD at autocross) but will not wear you out. A drive across the state feels like you just drove across town.

Often get compliments when stopped.

Will sadly be selling it. Have a health issue that took away my ability to drive stick.

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 07-12-2019 at 07:04 AM..
Old 07-12-2019, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ignoring the two main issues
1) 996 and IMS failure
2) 928 and electrical gremlins.

Assuming both are well maintained and maintenance current, they are both fantastic cars. The 928 is the more unique experience. V8 rumble. I've always wanted an '86 with the 32V motor.. 288hp. Stick. Large brakes. My mom had an '84 928S, Guards red/tan with Auto. It was a great "cruiser" car and ate up the highway like nothing else can. The cockpit surrounds you with that flowing dash console. The whole instrument cluster moves when you adjust the steering wheel.

While I hate mentioning the "investment" angle, a beautiful old 928 seems more interesting to me than the 996.

Given the 996 recent vintage (I know, they are 20 years old, but thats crazy)... the build methodology is so different than the 928 that came out in the 70s but never left the party.

You'd really have to drive them to see which you prefer.
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 07-12-2019, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Well...

If both are in good condition I'd take the 928.

However, I highly doubt for equal money I could get as nice of a 928 as a 996.

I must admit, I've gotten spoiled by the interior in my big cat, the 996 doesn't cut it in comparison. Even my "drastic plastic" Corvette has a nicer interior if the steering wheel and seats get changed.

996 Turbo would change the game significantly.

Last edited by Tervuren; 07-12-2019 at 06:56 AM..
Old 07-12-2019, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Well a 996TT and a nice late 928 with a stick are a fairer comparison from a $ perspective.
In that case color me TT.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
Both are old cars and something you will have to continually deal with.
I like the 928. It was Porsche's flagship back in the day.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 07-12-2019, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
nice guy

996 drive
928 work on
Old 07-12-2019, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered Cruiser

Subjective opinions and looks aside, I think a $20K 996 is a better car than a $20K 928. Always liked the looks of the 928 and a GTS like Richard's is a beauty but like he mentioned you're not getting into one of those for anywhere close to $20K.

I have never really completely understood anything.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

A 928S4 with auto for me, black with tan interior. The only way I'd go for a 996 is if I wanted a cabriolet, and that would put the 987 Boxster in the running.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

To drive a well maintained, low mileage 928 of any iteration is quite an experience. They are such a good car to drive. Have driven many 928's across Australia and had no issues at all. Driven many times from Adelaide to Sydney and back and always take off highway roads for some serious leg stretching. Have to slow down around sun-up and sunset....Kangaroo's. Even the wife gets up to around 200kmh and always loves how planted they feel.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

The problem with 928s aren't electrical at all, that is some over sensationalized internet garbage from owners that a) don't know how to work on their cars; b) take their cars to shoddy mechanics; or c) buy a used and abused car with a shady past.

I currently own two (2) 928s and everything works right down to each individual dome light, even the light in the glove box. Things do wear out as can be expected on any car, but these cars are logically built and not hard to work on, parts are plentiful and there is great forum support and camaraderie.

During the 1980s when aftermarket stereos, alarms and car phones were the craze, many of these car's electrical systems were hacked and by far this is the leading cause to electrical gremlins.

I've driven a few 996s and they are good, but a 928 is a rung or two above them.

Here is one of mine, 150k on it and runs great, still on the original paint, original interior, engine has never been out, just maintenance and a few well chosen upgrades along the way:

Last edited by slow&rusty; 07-13-2019 at 06:17 AM..
Old 07-13-2019, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Not sure your 928 would qualify as an under $20K car there.

I'm not sure I'd buy any 928 that wasn't pristine.

The amount of Pristine 928's for sale isn't the norm compared to the condition most 928's for sale have migrated to.

I would take a pristine 928 over a non turbo 996.

However, market value reflects that I would not be alone in that choice. Pristine 928 is $$$.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Soooo entertaining!

Drove my 996 hard this morning, and absolutely love how tight, powerful and responsive it is. I really want a 928, and have several friends that own them. My own air-cooled guy always tells me, somewhat jokingly, that if I pull the trigger on a 928, do not bring it to him for service--but I"m sure he'd take my money anyway if I did.

I'm worried that the market has passed me by now, though, as anything that's not a project is at or above $20k.

Todd
'85 Carrera Targa/'87 951/'99 996 Carrera Coupe/'17 Macan
"Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained" Thomas E.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Great comments guys! Very informative.

Another thing that prompted my question is that I’ve ALWAY loved the looks of the 928 and have ‘window-shopped’ them ever since they came out.

But I’ve never driven one, so I don’t know if I’d like the car as much as I like the styling. The only car I’ve owned that’s at all similar is a BMW M6 automatic. If anyone could venture a comparison between the two, it would give me a better sense of things.

Thanks deWolf! I must say that the image of running across Australia in a 928 is pretty exciting! Maybe not the kangaroos, but…

epbrown, why an auto? That surprises me. I had 1987 BMW 535i, 5-speed, that was black with tan interior. One of my all time favorite cars! I don’t think I’d say that if it had been automatic trans.

Jorian, interesting comment! I tend to agree that the 996 probably is a ‘better’ car for the money. But the 928 is such an revolutionary Porsche, that for the same money, it seems an equally attractive acquisition.

As you say, the choice is ultimately subjective, but what a possible dilemma for a porsche guy who’s already got his air-cooled 911 sorted out and has a desire to experience something else!

Clint, may have ‘hit the nail’ suggesting it would depend on your preference for driving or wrenching. I would truly enjoy working on and learning the 928. But a 996 with more modern comfort and reliability is pretty appealing, as well!

Racer wrote:

“...the build methodology is so different than the 928 that came out in the 70s but never left the party. “

This is certainly one of the most sagacious comments I’ve read on this board! Or maybe it just describes my feelings rather aptly. I sometimes think I want a ‘modern’ car – until I drive one. That’s when I discover that I haven’t ‘left the party’ either!

The visceral experience of earlier cars is so compelling, that I’m always drawn back to them. The idea of being chauffeured around town by a computer driven Tesla makes me ill.

RKD – That’s a GORGEOUS car! And this comment is especially intriguing:

“Realistic difference in driving is the 928 us just as capable (set FTD at autocross) but will not wear you out. A drive across the state feels like you just drove across town.”

Are you suggesting that the 928 is more comfortable car than the 996? Humm, interesting.

That’s a car you obviously love! It’s a shame you need to part with it.

-----------------------------------------
"A man must consider what a rich realm he abdicates when he becomes a conformist." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~ (thanks to Pat Keefe)
Old 07-13-2019, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
I have an 87 S4 and love it. I drove it to Anaheim for sharktoberfest a couple of years ago and it was very comfortable. more comfy than my land rover.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
beancounter

I can't believe anyone who actually had hands on experience with both models would suggest that the 996 is a better car. Its a newer car, and to the extent that one thinks that newer features make a car "better" I suppose I can understand. However, there is NO COMPARISON with respect to build quality. The 928 is hand built in the old school Porsche way, 996 isn't.

I owned an absolutely pristine '87 928S4 5 speed manual. Purchased with 18k miles, sold it with 23k(?). Unflappable handling, comfortable, fast, undeniably cool and felt like it was chiseled from a single block of granite. At the time I also owned a '79 930 that I had restored and hot rodded. I needed to sell a car, and had I not been so underwater on the 930 post resto (this was before the market heated up), there's a decent chance I'd have kept the 928 over the 930. It was that good. I know a lot of people think they are a nightmare, but I think the 928 is one of the coolest cars ever.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: