Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Why do German cars require more care and maintenance than Japanese counterparts?

Iím shopping for a used Boxster and the ones Iím seeing have had so much more work and parts replaced than Miatas of the same age. If thought German cars are supposed to be well engineered and better built?
Old 07-12-2019, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I just want to take this opportunity to point out that you are comparing a Boxster to a Miata.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

There's a reason we bought a Camry instead if a VW as our main grocery getter.

We still remember all the problems we had with the VW Rabbit back in the day.

Haven't considered a VW since.

Last edited by pwd72s; 07-12-2019 at 09:27 PM..
Old 07-12-2019, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Driver, not Mechanic

More complex systems = more things that could go wrong. I got a used Cayenne and luckily the PO got most fixed under warranty. I did have to pay for one door lock actuator... OTOH my 2011 Sienna had a sliding door recall.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Information Junky

False premise.

Some Jap cars are more reliable than some Germ cars.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Why make systems more complex? Maybe I’m generalizing but I worked for a German company and all of the processes I had to work with seemed more complicated than necessary. We had to come up with workarounds to get things done. That’s basically what additional maintenance is, workarounds.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I'm not sure I know the answer, but I like the different philosophies. The Germans deliver a high level of driver involvement, and perhaps expect the driver to be similarly highly involved in the care and feeding of the car. The Japanese deliver remarkable levels of reliability and longevity, but, to my tastes, still lag behind the Germans in feel and driver involvement.

Alas, the gap is narrowing over time, and not in a good way. Instead, there is regression toward the mean, where Japanese cars are gaining feel and German cars are losing it. My 10-year-old E92 M3 feels special--and it is special--with its 414 hp 8250-rpm V8. The F generation M3s and M4s are fast cars, but they are turbo motors, which is what everything is becoming, and the legendary BMW steering feel has gone pretty numb with the switchover to electric assist.

Now, in the case of the new BMW Z4/Toyota Supra, we have a shared BMW Toyota platform, and the regression toward the mean is nearly complete.

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/1022378-yes-its-another-white-911-build.html
Old 07-12-2019, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by island911 View Post
False premise.

Some Jap cars are more reliable than some Germ cars.

Always wondered what you looked and sounded like.

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/1022378-yes-its-another-white-911-build.html
Old 07-12-2019, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Information Junky

LOL - ah no.

I'll have to remain in your head w/o image.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusnak View Post
I just want to take this opportunity to point out that you are comparing a Boxster to a Miata.
Guess which of the 2 is rated #4 of the top 10 most reliable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX4QeENdCmM
Old 07-12-2019, 10:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
Guess which of the 2 is rated #4 of the top 10 most reliable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX4QeENdCmM
I promise you, I tried to watch that video because it's probably interesting. But the douchenozzle host...nope sorry. "these SOMEWHAT United States" Ö..sftu you fudge packer
Old 07-12-2019, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
^^^ His head is crooked...
Old 07-12-2019, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Funny, I have been thinking the same thing . Honestly, at this stage of the game, with all the technology automakers have at their disposal, there is no excuse for unreliable vehicles from any manufacturer
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 07-13-2019, 01:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdrv55 View Post
Iím shopping for a used Boxster and the ones Iím seeing have had so much more work and parts replaced than Miatas of the same age. If thought German cars are supposed to be well engineered and better built?
The European car makers seem to prioritize refinement over service intervals.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfredracing View Post
Funny, I have been thinking the same thing . Honestly, at this stage of the game, with all the technology automakers have at their disposal, there is no excuse for unreliable vehicles from any manufacturer
This. I strongly agree.

As a side note....I sold my 87 Carrera about 2 years ago. Replaced it with a 2010 Miata with a 6 speed, power retractable hard top, working AC, etc. it’s faster (and quicker) than the Carrera, far more nimble, and a blast to drive...and requires almost no maintenance or repairs. Certainly not Boxster performance but the fun factor has to be close for a fraction of the cost...and grief.

Yes, all modern cars should be very, very reliable. This is mature technology.

Last edited by Chocaholic; 07-13-2019 at 02:36 AM..
Old 07-13-2019, 02:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
I see you

A query if you please...do the Japanese outsource as much as the Germans do?

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 07-13-2019, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

The only possible answer to OPs question is they euro cars are not as well engineered and built.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Mazda has had its troubles with some of the Miata ND's 2016 transmission. So it is not perfect right out of the box. Much like the IMS on earlier Porsche watercooled engines there is a small percentage that are problematic.

The difference between Mazda and Porsche is that Mazda has been replacing the defective transmission. The ND however is only three years old now so transmissions can be replaced within the warranty period. Once out of the warranty period who knows whether Mazda will cover problematic transmissions but if not they are not that expensive to replace.

Porsche likely is good at honoring issues within warranty but outside not so much as witnessed by the IMS problems.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Buy the Miata.
I'll take the Boxster.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
The work done on a car may also have to do with the owners.

Some owners do work they don't need. Often from overmuch passion and a wilingness to spend money combined with not enough knowledge.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: