Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I always thought that if it hadn't had been for the TV show's success Jerry would have just been another standup guy. And if it were not for Julia Louis-Dreyfus the show would have never made it.

I think standups age out and lose their mojo. They get into TV or movies and some do very well but after they top out they try to stay relevant. These guys can't go back on the road and start doing 4-6 shows a week. I'd never pay to see them now. At least Jerry came up with the Cars and Coffee deal. Andrew Dice Clay should be so lucky.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 07-22-2019, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Leadfoot Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by URY914 View Post
I always thought that if it hadn't had been for the TV show's success Jerry would have just been another standup guy.
I've always felt the same way. Jerry caught lightening in a jar the day he met Larry David. I really enjoyed the show, but I think it's creative energy came mostly from Larry, not Jerry. That and having an ensemble cast that just blended together beautifully. Elaine, George, Kramer, Newman, the parents...all perfectly cast and written.

Last edited by rcooled; 07-22-2019 at 01:59 PM..
Old 07-22-2019, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Band.

Send a message via AIM to Gogar
I too feel that if it weren't for his success he would have been less successful.
1973 Honda CB350F
Old 07-22-2019, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by URY914 View Post
I always thought that if it hadn't had been for the TV show's success Jerry would have just been another standup guy. And if it were not for Julia Louis-Dreyfus the show would have never made it.

I think standups age out and lose their mojo. They get into TV or movies and some do very well but after they top out they try to stay relevant. These guys can't go back on the road and start doing 4-6 shows a week. I'd never pay to see them now. At least Jerry came up with the Cars and Coffee deal. Andrew Dice Clay should be so lucky.
You can say that about most comedians. The exception would be the Bob Hope's of the trade.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Many things in life are about timing and the timing and casting for the Seinfeld sit com was perfect . Whether by design or shear luck is anyone's guess . But really almost any TV show that takes off and has a long run is the same way . Bill Gates and Steve Jobs both started in their garages and look where they got . I give Seinfeld credit for wanting to still do work . He has enough money for 100 lifetimes and is 65 years old .
Old 07-22-2019, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I like to work, can't imagine not doing something.

Rickles and Dangerfield never lost their stand up mojo, I don't know about that age thing.

Mark Twain
Old 07-22-2019, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Are you kidding me? If I saw Eddie Murphy and Jerry Seinfeld in a freakin' Carrera GT I would probably scream at them and point and cry like an American teenage girl seeing the Beatles for the first time. As a Porsche guy, who grew up in the late 80s and early 90s, it does not get any better than that, my friends.

It was certainly nice to see Eddie Murphy at his most mellow, introverted self. No lines, no script, no Dr. Doolittle special effects, just two guys reminiscing about their struggles early in their adult lives. It was very sweet, and Eddie was very genuine.

And then there was the fact that they were in a Carrera GT (HEL-LOOO), probably the only car that you might pick over a McLaren F1 or at least struggle a bit to choose between one and the other. I laughed at the fact that there is no cup holder, and Eddie had to jam the water bottle between the seat and center console. I found it interesting that neither wore sunglasses, and found out why in the Ricky Gervais episode.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

rusnak, you can't live in SoCal. Seeing someone famous is to not gawk. Enjoy the sightings, but be cool.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogar View Post
i too feel that if it weren't for his success he would have been less successful.
lol...
Old 07-22-2019, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
rusnak, you can't live in SoCal. Seeing someone famous is to not gawk. Enjoy the sightings, but be cool.
I totally understand and agree, yet the cool guy thing is what you do when you see Colm Meany from the cast of Deep Space Nine in line at Starbucks. When you see these guys, I think I would regret not losing it a little bit. BTW Carrera GT sightings are not exactly rare on the Central Coast PCH this time of year.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Free Exams All November!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Whether by design or shear luck is anyone's guess .
What do you call it when someone survives an 8.0 earthquake?
Old 07-22-2019, 11:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
What do you call it when someone survives an 8.0 earthquake?
In LA? That would be Tuesdays.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusnak View Post
It was certainly nice to see Eddie Murphy at his most mellow, introverted self. No lines, no script, no Dr. Doolittle special effects, just two guys reminiscing about their struggles early in their adult lives. It was very sweet, and Eddie was very genuine.
Netflix last night. Eddie did a couple of impressions during casual conversation that made me crack up. Sammy Davis Jr included.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Leadfoot Geezer

Quote:
If I saw Eddie Murphy and Jerry Seinfeld in a freakin' Carrera GT I would probably scream at them and point and cry like an American teenage girl seeing the Beatles for the first time..
This brings up another question. How is it that no one in these cafes is looking at two A-list celebs sitting there eating lunch? They can't all be so LA-cool. Jerry's been joined by some very well-known people, yet it seems like they're being totally ignored wherever they go...even when not in LA. Does the production crew come in before hand and instruct people on how to act? What about those who walk in during the shoot...or is the place closed for the duration? Are all the customers cleared out and replaced by stand-ins from central casting?
I once happened to be in a restaurant where Jerry was having lunch with a few others. People didn't gawk, or repeatedly cruise by his table, but I could see a lot of heads turning from time to time to have a look. This never happens CICGC...people act almost TOO oblivious.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Retired Member

^^^^^^^

I remember the Letterman episode. Dave asks in the coffee shop who are all these people. Jerry replied they're just people not actors. It went something like that.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Watching it now. I'm about half way through but I couldn't help but notice Eddie's watch.

If I had to guess it's something Swiss & very high end... More soon.

(The big 3: Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe, and Vacheron Constantin)

Last edited by sc_rufctr; 07-24-2019 at 05:36 AM..
Old 07-24-2019, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
I totally understand and agree, yet the cool guy thing is what you do when you see Colm Meany from the cast of Deep Space Nine in line at Starbucks. When you see these guys, I think I would regret not losing it a little bit.
I have seen a good handful in airports. LAX/ORD/LHR mostly. I don't get too excited.

Speaking of Starbucks, I do regret not shaking the hand of John Gaeta, special effects supervisor for The Matrix, in line with me getting coffer at LAX. He was arguing with his lady friend. He did not need the Bobster at that moment.

I did go a tiny bit fan-boy meeting Brian Johnson at VIR.

Carry on.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcooled View Post
This brings up another question. How is it that no one in these cafes is looking at two A-list celebs sitting there eating lunch? They can't all be so LA-cool. Jerry's been joined by some very well-known people, yet it seems like they're being totally ignored wherever they go...even when not in LA. Does the production crew come in before hand and instruct people on how to act? What about those who walk in during the shoot...or is the place closed for the duration? Are all the customers cleared out and replaced by stand-ins from central casting?
I once happened to be in a restaurant where Jerry was having lunch with a few others. People didn't gawk, or repeatedly cruise by his table, but I could see a lot of heads turning from time to time to have a look. This never happens CICGC...people act almost TOO oblivious.
There are several people along for the shoot. How would you handle 3 camera guys and the support? It's our nature to not step in front of a camera. Look at how people behave at a car show. Guy taking a pic with just his cell and people stop or walk around. The shots are close and there's little opportunity for swivel heads to be in included. The waitress in the Murphy show clearly was excited.

I'll have to go back ans watch again, but they cut away to cups being poured close up a couple dozen times. Dialog may have continued during some of those shots meaning they edited out some idiot.

Everyone in the shop has to sign a release. The production people pretty much take control. Lots of security.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
I think it depends where this happens. The episode in soho with Matthew Broderick was cool for me because I lived in that neighborhood and seeing them get turned away from the Patagonia shop was funny. This sort of thing happened all the time when i lived there. Not with this show but with others and movies and commercials and it was normal and the people there, though many are tourists, are used to it. Iíve seen Jerry walking around nyc totally unbothered. The scooter episode was cool for me because they were right by the garage I parked my motorcycle in and they clearly just drove in circles over and over

I used to see Matthew Broderick in the neighborhood on a Vespa all the time. Surprised they didnít use scooters with him but then getting to Mets stadium wouldnít have been possible I guess
Old 07-24-2019, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post
Watching it now. I'm about half way through but I couldn't help but notice Eddie's watch.

If I had to guess it's something Swiss & very high end... More soon.

(The big 3: Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe, and Vacheron Constantin)
At a guess... Patek Philippe ($$$) but I can't find an example.

Last edited by sc_rufctr; 07-25-2019 at 12:13 AM..
Old 07-25-2019, 12:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: