Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
What glider to get?

Am in process of finishing Private Pilot Glider certification. Plan is to rent for a while as I research what glider, instruments, trailer, etc to get. Would appreciate comments/input from pilot/glider owners as to what they like and don't like concerning anything glider related.

As a secondary interest, I'd like to fly in the Rockies. If you have area to recommend... please do.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930. '79 Anthracite 930.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Karl, Iíve only been soaring once, many years ago, and I did it out of Black Forest, CO. It was directly east of the Air Force Academy, on the east side of I25. The conditions were great for soaring there. Iím not sure if the same outfit I flew with is still there, but Iím sure thereís an active soaring organization in that general area. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Are you talking about a "glider" or a "sail plane?" There's a huge difference. I'm not any sort of expert & have only been up in a sail plane a couple of times, although I got to pilot them after the tow plane let go and before landing. Fun activity. Maybe you could go to a glider port to talk to people there.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to petrolhead611
What's the difference between a glider and a sailplane?
Vindicator Vulcan V8 spyder, street legal sports racing car
(300hp,1400 lbs kerb weight) used for sprints on circuits, and hillclimbs
Old 08-04-2019, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Kantry Member

A glider will come down, albiet slowly, as its sink rate can not be offset by flying in thermals. A sailplane is able to climb in thermals as its sink rate is lower. Theoretically, one can remain aloft indefinately in a sail plane if the conditions allow.

Best
Les
Old 08-04-2019, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldE View Post
A glider will come down, albiet slowly, as its sink rate can not be offset by flying in thermals. A sailplane is able to climb in thermals as its sink rate is lower. Theoretically, one can remain aloft indefinately in a sail plane if the conditions allow.

Best
Les
Didn't realize there is a distinction!

I stand schooled. Am soaring... not gliding.

Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930. '79 Anthracite 930.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldE View Post

Best
Les
So youíre saying a glider is just a low performance sailplane?

OP, are you in contact with local glider (or sailplane) clubs to find out what people are flying, how they like them, plusses, and minuses, etc?
Old 08-04-2019, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Detached Member

Had a girl friend who, after we split up, lost her left arm and leg on a glider, but whatever...
Old 08-04-2019, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrochex View Post
So youíre saying a glider is just a low performance sailplane?

OP, are you in contact with local glider (or sailplane) clubs to find out what people are flying, how they like them, plusses, and minuses, etc?
Yes Paul... joined Soaring Association of America. Started looking through their directory for clubs/airports throughout the Rockies... and elsewhere. Excellent reference. Thought there has to be a few people in PPF with soaring experience to share.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Richards View Post
Karl, Iíve only been soaring once, many years ago, and I did it out of Black Forest, CO. It was directly east of the Air Force Academy, on the east side of I25. The conditions were great for soaring there. Iím not sure if the same outfit I flew with is still there, but Iím sure thereís an active soaring organization in that general area. Good luck.

...Thanks Jim.

Looked them up and original location closed and operation moved to Kelly Airpark about 8 miles west of Elbert. They are an SAA member. Gona give them a call.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

I hope they fit the bill for you, Karl.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Information Junky

I’ve also only been soaring once, many years ago. So,.. get a white one with long narrow wings.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discseven View Post
Yes Paul... joined Soaring Association of America. Started looking through their directory for clubs/airports throughout the Rockies... and elsewhere. Excellent reference. Thought there has to be a few people in PPF with soaring experience to share.
My experience is dated and indirect.

We had a family friend who owned a sailplane, a Diamant. Not sure if it was 15 or 17m wingspan. It was actually assembled once in our backyard.

But my dad used to crew for him at El Mirage in regional and national contests. They were family trips. Those were spectacular experiences. My dad eventually got a license and I went up with him once in a Schweitzer, at Perris.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

I've found several different things online that seem to indicate something similar to the below.

Quote:
Let's set aside motorized gliders for a moment, and just consider un-powered aircraft. All sailplanes are gliders, but not all gliders are sailplanes.

A glider is any airplane without an engine.

A sailplane is a glider that is aerodynamic enough that sustained flight is possible by using rising air currents to maintain altitude, or even to climb.

A glider that is not a sailplane is not expected to maintain altitude or travel very far. During world War II the US, Britain, and Germany all used large troop carrying gliders. These could in no way be called sailplanes.

All gliders need to be provided some form of propulsion to get off the ground - often they are pulled by an airplane, or pulled by a wench on the ground. To allow them to fly launch without assistance, powered gliders have been developed, using a very small engine to take off. This is turned off and the propeller folded back to allow it to operate as a sailplane.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 08-05-2019, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

We just watched the original "Thomas Crown Affair" with Steve McQueen and the remake with Pierce Brosnan this weekend. There were glider scenes in both this weekend. The glider in the old version was odd looking compared to the more modern version, shorter, tapered wings with a wider span and a thicker fuselage.

My parents did a glider/sailplane thing when I was about 5-6 in Pensacola, FL. I'd like to go for a ride some day.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 08-05-2019, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by island911 View Post
Iíve also only been soaring once, many years ago. So,.. get a white one with long narrow wings.
Don't have the budget for anything with long narrow wings Islandmon. White... I can do.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrochex View Post
My experience is dated and indirect.

We had a family friend who owned a sailplane, a Diamant. Not sure if it was 15 or 17m wingspan. It was actually assembled once in our backyard.

But my dad used to crew for him at El Mirage in regional and national contests. They were family trips. Those were spectacular experiences. My dad eventually got a license and I went up with him once in a Schweitzer, at Perris.

This Diamant is a '70. Sold for around $6,500. Fine price but being unfamiliar with sailplanes, I have yet to learn what one would invest in getting this vintage to a point where there's no question concerning structural integrity. That's purely a curiosity on my part---preference in this case is modern form.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

The true sailplane pilots have to have mastery of thermal conditions and local experience plus a heaping of patience.
Those long thin wings in turbulence could be a blessing or a curse, I would imagine.

What about a powered sailplane?
http://www.aeros.com.ua/structure/al/index_en.php

Other slower (but powered) aircraft you might be interested in are:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slepcev_Storch
(almost VTOL in a strong headwind)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_DA20 or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_DA40
(different engines. one of those flew low overhead recently and I could barely hear it)
Old 08-05-2019, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Information Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discseven View Post

This Diamant is a '70. Sold for around $6,500. Fine price but being unfamiliar with sailplanes, I have yet to learn what one would invest in getting this vintage to a point where there's no question concerning structural integrity. That's purely a curiosity on my part---preference in this case is modern form.

I think that there is always question concerning structural integrity. Speed and ridiculously high wing loading will break things. I mean, if you are driving your car at speed and crank the steering wheel too hard shts going to break. Same for air frames. Know the speed and G-limits. If you want higher limits it cost more.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I like the fast ones.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: