Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I agree, that Cal 22 looks pretty nice. I'm guessing if buying it through the broker some kind of agreement for a haul out and inspection would be part of the deal. Finding/renting a trailer and getting it back to Mississippi then another trip to take the trailer back would have to be figured into the initial cost of the boat. That's a tall fixed keel, probably before I do anything with regard to a fixed keel sailboat, I need to go make some measurements at the preferred ramp---I can get the current pool elevation of the lake and then create a Profile of the ramp depth along the dock just to see where it is.

As for the sailboatlistings.com in Mississippi, I'm finding 26 boats listed between 15 and 30 feet, with perhaps 1 or 2 I'm not interested in being listed in 2019, then the ads go back from more than a year ago to more than 8 years ago. The lady friends Dad gets calls from time to time on a boat he sold 10 years ago. Don't know if there is an issue deleting old ads from the site or what.

I talked last week with a fellow on the Gulf Coast that had an Irwin 32 needing a lot of work for sale, he said he would consider selling his really nice Montgomery 17, and if I'd like to I could meet him up in Kentucky (650 miles away) where he keeps the boat and go sailing with him, if I liked the boat and we could agree to the price then I could haul it back. Those little boats appear to be quite strongly built, easily trailerable and have quite the following on the market.

Last edited by SCadaddle; 09-10-2019 at 03:26 PM..
Old 09-10-2019, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #121 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Re: the Cal 22, Triad Trailers makes trailers for a wide range of fin keel sailboats like the Capri 22, J/22, etc. They should work fine for the Cal 22. There might be one you could acquire used in the SE US for $1-2K.

Iím not familiar with the Montgomery 17, but if it looks good...
Old 09-10-2019, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #122 (permalink)

Here is a nice little daysailor, big cockpit, cuddy cabin for the porta potty and cooler.
These are said to be good sailing boats. Comes with Engine and trailer, Good price

https://mobile.craigslist.org/boa/d/mobile-precision-18-sailboat/6977147424.html

Cheers Richard

Last edited by tevake; 09-16-2019 at 04:50 AM..
Old 09-14-2019, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #123 (permalink)

I've yet to sail off the edge of the Earth, Fellas, have turned my focus to finding a nice Catalina 22 with a trailer. Narrowly missed on a 76 model with a swing keel, now negotiating on an 88 "New Design" model with a wing keel. It may not be as competitive racing as the swing keel, but I really don't want to hassle with the swing keel maintenance that probably wasn't an issue when these boats were 5 or 10 years old, but by now they are going on 40.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #124 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

It sounds like a good plan. Good hunting, SCaddle. I hope you find a good one!
Old 10-08-2019, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #125 (permalink)

The search is on...awesome!
Old 10-09-2019, 02:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #126 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
I like the Benetau's

https://batonrouge.craigslist.org/boa/d/mandeville-beneteau-first-26/6992372739.html

I had a San Juan 24 - fixed keel for ages - as well as 505's Flying Dutchman and Thistle - lately a Force 5 - couple of Sunfish - all fun good luck -
Old 10-09-2019, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #127 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage

Old 10-09-2019, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #128 (permalink)

Garage
I LOVE sailing and if you want to too, please don’t start out looking for a large boat and cabin. Every sailor has seen many get a beautiful large boat only to learn to hate sailing for all the compromises, costs and time sucks associated with a large boat.

You will get a ton or respect from sailors starting with a laser, where you are sailing 10 min after arriving and can come in 2 hours later exhausted with a huge smile and a much better sailor. Plus you are learning pure sailing, the waters, rudder/tiller, winds, currents, navigation and also sail quality/patching, fiberglass, rigging, trim and with little wind and no maintenance facilities as you said, you can be doing this in a week for very low money and risk, having a great time and talking technique quickly.

others like VincentVega and Jim Richards basically said the same.
“If you are really cutting your chops and figuring out if you want to do this get a saling dinghy. Takes up minimal space, rig in minutes, learn a ton and use it as a tender for the big boat if/when you move up.”

Nothing like going out in a strong wind in a platform boat, hiking and screaming into the wind no matter what age. Don’t be embarrassed at all the junior sailors.
The key reason is that every boat is a collection of compromises and with less than 10K you need to pick very very well.
speed, draft, complexity, passengers, wind needed, crew needed, cost, skills, diesel engine/outboard.

The more sailing you do (and crew for others) the more you will know exactly what you want and why.

I really hope this works out well for you. I can’t afford a big boat but have standing offers from several people to take their boats out and I do. Then buy them a nice bottle of Mescal or Scotch-that is the smartest use of sub 10K boat money!
Old 10-09-2019, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyD View Post
I currently have a Beneteau First 265. Itís a newer model that replaced the First 26, as far as I can tell.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #130 (permalink)

Well, this morning the first mate and I decided it was a nice day for a road trip.

So off we went to L.A. (That's Lower Alabama for you Non-Southerners)

First item of "must see when in L.A." was this one, and I still haven't figured out exactly what model of fine MacGregor trailor sailors she is:

https://mobile.craigslist.org/boa/d/grand-bay-22-sailboat/6985071187.html

That being said, she wasn't nearly as clean as advertised with the falling matter from the old pecan trees she's under, but what the heck, let's take a look. HIN indicates she's a 1973 model. With what appears and feels to be a cast iron swing keel to my knuckles. The hull is actually in incredible shape. The bottom is extremely nice as well, it was painted sometime in the past when it was on another set of bunks because they missed those spots with the paint. The lower edge at least that what I could see of the keel has been painted as well. Fit left and right inside the keel well of the bottom of the hull is nice and uniform.
Topside didn't really find any soft spots. One of the posts for the lifeline on the port side has been broken off taking a chunk of the deck with it, leaving a hole in the deck. No big deal.
Looking inside. Nuts. Water again?! This time only a couple three inches deep. Greeted by a large Grey Tree Frog, tried to rescue him but he leaped aft. One long piece of board that is the front of the port settee to the left of centerline is in the water, but it's not plywood and it appears it hasn't been damaged, yet. Swing keel pivot bolt in place and looks fine. Swing keel winch still has a cable to the keel and I can loosen and tighten the cable with the winch. Rest of the wooden stuff in the boat above the standing water is pretty much junk--good for templates for new stuff. Not a piece of foam with cloth covering to be found anywhere.
Sails.....Took them out of the bags for a look see. Main appears to be fine by me, a bit dirty and the first mate claims she wouldn't be caught dead on the water under that filthy sail. The other sail the first mate deems to be a Genoa and it is in really nice shape.
Trailer.....looks ok, no brakes, probably need new tires and there is one cross member that has broken clean through and has been tack welded back together rather poorly.

Really nice folks selling the boat, they have another power boat and Mama wants the sailboat GONE. Today, for you, 40% off. Take it away for $600......first mate reminds me that SHE wants to go sailing and that I have too many "projects" going on right now yada yada yeah, ok, let's go look at some others.....

To the Marina at Dog River! A bunch of LARGE boats, well, I guess you'd call them yachts, on the hard in the boat yard. A monster sized wood Chris Craft is dwarfed by an even more monster sized boat. I stepped off the length of what appeared to be a Catalina 30, and just standing there opposite it, the gravity of how large that boat really is and how high it is off the ground made me realize that the "budget C&C 30" that's already in the water on my home lake really is a large boat.

And of course, there was this one. Complete with a bilge pump AND a wet (VERY wet)/dry vac in the cockpit. So sad.

A nice dinner at a local favorite in Bayou La Batre then on the road headed home.
Tomorrow, well, it's already tomorrow by now, will be another day. Maybe off to? Stay tuned!

Last edited by SCadaddle; 10-10-2019 at 12:52 AM..
Old 10-10-2019, 12:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #131 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Stored wet to prevent sun-baking the gelcoat, eh?

30 footers are pretty big. Smaller is better when you’re still learning the ropes. Good hunting!

Last edited by Jim Richards; 10-10-2019 at 08:09 AM..
Old 10-10-2019, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #132 (permalink)

You do not have permissi

Don't rule out a smaller day sailer or renting for a year.
Trailer it easy. Pop it in water and garage. You just go whenever.
Low overhead. Not inheriting someone else's problem.

The season is almost over for having fun on the water, at least around here.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #133 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1114128705424078/
Old 10-10-2019, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #134 (permalink)

Catalina 22 you say?

Here is one that seems pretty complete and well priced

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/383720488948057/?ref=browse_tab

Cheers Richard
Old 10-11-2019, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #135 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Catalina 22 you say?

Here is one that seems pretty complete and well priced

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/383720488948057/?ref=browse_tab

Cheers Richard
Thanks Richard! I've sent the seller a message. That's pretty much the exact package I have been looking for. Are you local to Panama City?
Old 10-11-2019, 11:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #136 (permalink)

Perfect...

But what does the first matey say ?
Old 10-12-2019, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #137 (permalink)

I'm not far from that boat and would be happy to have a look at it for you.
Let me know once you have connected with the seller, I'll pm you my contact details.

Cheers Richard
Old 10-12-2019, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #138 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC911 View Post
Perfect...

But what does the first matey say ?
Her Dad was the Catalina 22 National Champion back in 1977, with a crew of 2 14 year old 100 pound girls. 2nd place was a Catalina Dealer with a pair of sail makers for his crew. I think just about any Catalina 22 would make her happy!

Richard has contacted me and he is local to the boat in Panama City. Check your PM's Richard, SUPER to have a fellow Pelican on the spot!
Old 10-12-2019, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #139 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: