Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

pb tweeks ltd

Found this online thought it was cool to look back at what the porsche hobby was in the mid 80s.

Well before pelican parts was pb tweeks. These catalogs I collect mostly to further my knowledge of period porsche accessories and aftermarket parts.

The catalogs pb tweeks and automotion are excellent references for porsche parts long gone and also what was a period correct mod.

Last edited by 93097004xx; 09-04-2019 at 05:01 AM..
Old 09-03-2019, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
Cool/ The prices in those ads make me sick. If only I had bought and stashed away that stuff...

Here's 80's Porsche

Old 09-03-2019, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Years ago, before the internet, when a Porsche was sold, the seller would usually give parts sources to the new owners. Tweeks and Automotion had strong businesses based on their catalogs traveling in the cars as they got resold. Tweeks always had an annual swap meet in Indianapolis. It was a strong gathering and you could find almost anything at the event. I miss those days!
Old 09-03-2019, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93097004xx View Post
Well before pelican parts was pb tweeks.
The pb was for Peter and Brett Johnson, who founded the company in the 70s.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Is that the Tweeks that was out of Effingham, I'll? I attended a Funfest there in 2003 and won a Judges award. Got a granite plaque.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

My 71 i have receipts going back to 76.

There are a bunch of tweeks receipts in that pile from the location in Long Beach. A few torn out pages from the catalog too with stuff circled. And some hand written notes on how to get there.

Gotta love the days before the internet...!!!
Old 09-03-2019, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Don't forget Performance Products, Stoddard, and later GPR and Strasse. There are a few really good parts places on the rise now.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Kantry Member

Thanks for that.
When I bought the old E in 2000, it still had the Recaro "Idealseat N" (one of the most comfortable seats I have had the pleasure of plonking my rear onto) and the SC whale tail.
They had been installed while the car was still in Germany in the late '80s.

Best
Les
Old 09-04-2019, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
weekend wOrrier

I remember some of those specific pages. Particularly the seats and rear wings/ panels page. That PB Tweeks was pretty much a permanent coffee table book in our den.

Thanks for posting.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I used to spend hours flipping through Automotion catalogs.
22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 09-04-2019, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Has anyone seen or heard of Brett in the last few years? I lost track of him when I left the 356 Registry in the 80s. I think he had already sold the company by then.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROC View Post
The Automotion catalog took car parts catalogs to a different level. I remember they used to have a big sale once a year I'd fax my order form to them the day before.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 09-04-2019, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Wildman Emeritus

Just pitched an Automotion catalog a while ago. Looking for a Griffiths receipt a few weeks ago, I discovered receipts from GPR, Strasse and Automotion. Obviously, pretty old but options back then.
2009 Suby Forester Wife's
2000 Boxter - Sold
Old 09-04-2019, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROC View Post
Me too. I got all of the Porsche catalogs. At War Bonnet Tech in the 1980s Chuck Stoddard would show up and support the Tech sessions. They would bring a large display booth of parts that had on hand and they made everyone slobber. The first polished stainless steel 911 heat exchangers were debuted then, and that received more orders than they could fill for a year.

Chuck Stoddaard was the Grady Clay of the time. Just a walking encyclopedia of Porsche knowledge. He would give a talk and we would never schedule any other speakers at the same time because almost everyone wanted to go to his session. He never had a prepared program, just question and answer, and everyone loved his sessions.

It was the analog version of the technical boards of Pelican today.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 09-04-2019, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
I was cleaning out some stuff a while back and found a receipt for a set of SSI heat exchangers I'd bought for my '72 911 - $300 and change!
Various VWs
Old 09-04-2019, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
The pb was for Peter and Brett Johnson, who founded the company in the 70s.
I thought Tom Ridings had something to do with it. Once located in Signal Hill CA (small city inside Long Beach). I went to a swap there.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I've been a victim of identity theft one time in my life, and that was by an employee at tweeks.
Used my credit card to run up all sorts of crap.
Their response? Not our problem, call the cops.

I say good riddance.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
I thought Tom Ridings had something to do with it. Once located in Signal Hill CA (small city inside Long Beach). I went to a swap there.
Peter and Brett started it in Indianapolis in the 70s. I think it was first located in the back of their fatherís veterinary clinic. The company expanded and had a presence in California, but I didnít know if that was before or after they sold it
Old 09-04-2019, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
I remember hitting that swap sale, late 80's I think.
Saw Seinfeld at it with his hat and aviator sunglasses on.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Crusty Conservative

Garage
Bill Kelly, on this forum as Techweenie, was the guy who produced the original AUTOMOTION catalogs, back on the day.
I bought my first 911, a 1969 T Targa in the Bay Area back in the early 80ís and soon discovered AUTOMOTION. Their only store was in Santa Clara, mere blocks from my office. Spent many a lunch hour picking up parts, needed and not so much there.
I got to know Bill thru this forum years later, still very active in the early 911 world.

69 911 T Targa, 2.4E w/carbs (1985-2001)
70 911 S Coupe, 2nd owner (1989- 2015)
73 911 T Targa, 3.2 Motronic (2001- )
Old 09-04-2019, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: