Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My ol' fleabag dawgy....

Did a search here before heading to the pet store yesterday. Just spotted them, 6 mo lab...fleabagz next door are pals . I want to use a powder/spray sparingly....picked up both

Vet's Best plant based (peppermint oil and Eugenel)...

If that doesn't work

Advantage spray

I didn't see a powder Baz had suggested...

For now, shampoos are out....and monthly pills and stuff applied down her back methinks.

But she's gonna be a dawg...outside a lot.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Make it simple. Advantix or Frontline type stuff.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Frontline is worthless nowadays. Fleas and ticks have become immune to it. Advantix isn't much better (same chemical, different brand). Vectra is what I've used the last 2 years and it works well...so far. Just one application in April/May is all you need for the year. Don't believe the 'monthly' part...it's just to get you to buy more. In all our years of using the back-of-the-neck treatments, we've ever only used it once a year and it works just fine.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Thread Killer

My vet recommends Trifexis. Expensive, but the best.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

We liked Revolution
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 09-08-2019, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I give my lab Nexgard. Chewable treat once a month. Seems to work.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Just went through this in the last couple days. Capstar pill for the dog of cat and complete house treatment at floor level plus any place the animal goes to floor height or other.

the Capstar is somewhat brutal but works for just a day. No live fleas whatsoever after a few hours but you still have to deal with the flea cycle meaning eggs galore and larvae. So far, we are successful but we aren't done by any stretch.

If you dog goes outside and picks up more fleas, you are in for a battle. If you don't want to live in a house full of chemicals, you're gonna have to go serious on the dog all the time. As mentioned, we live in a world of super fleas now.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks all! I've never had a flea issue, so declined the combo hw/flea/tick stuff when mentioned a couple of months ago. I'll visit the vet tomorrow. Haven't seen any fleas on either before yesterday...they do like to wrestle & play tho'....ol' fleabagz
Old 09-08-2019, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
You city people and your small animal vets are funny...

I have a vet on call and have brought them out to my place several times when it’s not convenient to bring the animal into the clinic.

We pay the same hourly rate it is for one of our cows or our dog... to put farm vet costs into perspective, it cost me under $800 to deal with my dog that got run over last year including a Sunday call out (took the dog to the clinic), x-ray, stitching, suturing, splinting, cone and 4 weekly bandage changes with sedation every time.

Go see a rural large animal vet and your costs will be 1/3rd to 1/2...
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 09-08-2019, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebilly View Post
You city people and your small animal vets are funny...

I have a vet on call and have brought them out to my place several times when itís not convenient to bring the animal into the clinic.

We pay the same hourly rate it is for one of our cows or our dog... to put farm vet costs into perspective, it cost me under $800 to deal with my dog that got run over last year including a Sunday call out (took the dog to the clinic), x-ray, stitching, suturing, splinting, cone and 4 weekly bandage changes with sedation every time.

Go see a rural large animal vet and your costs will be 1/3rd to 1/2...
This is true. I use a rural vet in Porter Hill. Population of about 2. There are always horses in front of my appointment time.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rescued the "Black Boy" six months ago.......Still trying to keep up and learn all of this....
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 09-08-2019, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Wash the dog with DAWN dish soap, allow them to fully dry before applying any topical treatment. My dogs had many different treatments over the years, Revolution and Advantage edibles for heartworm/flea and tick worked the best. No doggies now though.

Treat the yard as well, and follow directions.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered ConfUser

Don’t waste your money on monthly Heartguard tabs for heart worm. Active ingredient is ivermectin. Got to tractor supply and buy a small
Bottle of injectable ivermectin. A few drops/month in their food...a bottle should last a lifetime. Cost about $45. Been doing that for 20 years. Our mastiff breeder suggested it and our vet agreed.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Never did that, but have heard it works.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

There are also some natural sprays like lavender oil which might work.

I was using Revolution and Heartguard but at the same time the critters were puking from food.
The cat still has occasional hairballs, and may have nothing to do with it, but it's just for mention.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

................ Active ingredient is ivermectin. Be careful as Collie breeds cannot tolerate this medicine and may cause harm. Please make sure your dog breed is OK with it.
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 09-09-2019, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Get a cat.. Fleas go to the cat... then cat goes outside.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabmando View Post
Get a cat.. Fleas go to the cat... then cat goes outside.
I take it yer advice wuz free...and worth every penny? My girl is rid of fleas, but has been restless all night...I just chased two cats away from my front door.

Seriously ...I hope they have permanent flees now

Went by the vet, they had Bravecto (Fluralaner)...fleas are mostly gone 12 hrs later, 3 month dosage in one chew....perfect! No side effects on pup....other than the new cats....

I will use when the fleas appear again (fleabagz next door) as needed.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Oh yeah....Uncle Billy....wanna gue$$ how much a chew of thi$ $tuff i$?

signed...

A $ucker
Old 09-10-2019, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlton View Post
My vet recommends Trifexis. Expensive, but the best.
We use that. It seems to work really well and covers all of the bad stuff, fleas, ticks, heartworms, etc....
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 09-10-2019, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: