Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Any Honda with a manual tranny.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
My Gen 1 Miata, with another 80HP it would have been epic.

My 05 MCS JCW is an amazingly fun car.

My 2000 Subaru with a WRX swap was a very fun can everyday anywhere.

My 911 looks great, love the engine, HATE the 915, ruins the car IMO.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Kantry Member

I think the connection with a ride (car , truck or bike) is made in different ways at different times.
In the fall of '84, I bought a bone stock '85 Jetta sight unseen, it hadn't yet made it to the dealer. Never regretted buying the car. I upgraded to GTi brakes on the front, as my driving style was too much for the front rotors. I took a performance driving course in the Jetta. I could have done the course in the wife's '86 MR2, but never bonded with that car.
Similarly the '87 924S checked all the boxes for me. Possibly the best all round car I owned for a couple of decades. It was a willing companion whether the goal was getting home at the end of a long day with a 200 km drive ahead or hooning up a near by switchback.
I sold my first generation Miata last winter . I had fun for six years in the Miata, but had no regrets when I dropped it off with the new owner. On long trips, the car just asked too much of me in the way of dealing with noise and handling which was great for an hour or so, but grew tiresome over twice that time. Twice I found myself selecting the F150 over the Miata on a perfectly fine day, but the drive was too long.
I replaced it with a '07 C280. Strangely, this car has made a connection with me. Like the 924, much of the time the car feels like it is bored with the necessary function of conveying me to where I need to be, but then I discovered how the thing likes to be driven through corners and comes out the other side at velocities which make me appreciate the time the engineers spent on suspension tuning.
Yes, I am boring and to most folks, so are the cars which have made my time on the roads better.
But that is the point. They did exactly what I wanted them to do.

Best
Les
Old 09-13-2019, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheGAL View Post
My Lotus Elise ticks that box and every time I drive it, I have a smile on my face.
same elise/exige is the epitome of a driver's car for me. The rattles and suspect quality on a few of its parts adds to its personality as well.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
+1 on the 911. It's like putting on a well-fitting suit of clothes.
It used to be that way with my Speedster. It is quirky (so is a 911) but mastering the quirks make it feel comfortable and predictable. It isn't practical anymore to drive daily where I live, and it didn't get driven much during the years I was so busy with practical things. I need to start putting more miles on my Speedster and get that feeling back.

Last edited by wdfifteen; 09-13-2019 at 04:04 PM..
Old 09-13-2019, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

There are 3 cars that I'd love to own that I know would have a ton of soul. I'd love to have another pre-964 911 (anything from <1990, but that's not going to happen.

But, more as toy cars, that could happen eventually...

'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 09-13-2019, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Actual Porsche owner

Garage
I think "oneness" comes from hours in the seat. Any car can qualify.
Edit:
I take that back. I had a ‘67 Barracuda notchback and a 273 V8 and that odd version of the 727 Porkflite they had the bellhousing fo a V8 and the guts for a Scant 6. Totally unloveable Pos.

Last edited by wdfifteen; 09-13-2019 at 04:47 PM..
Old 09-13-2019, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavulon View Post
It seems that cars with soul should have similar or consistent characteristics.

I think they should make a person smile when they light off and sit at idle, maybe it's their sound and/or perhaps the entire car shakes a bit when just sitting there for starters.
Now you're talkin' about my '44 Jeep (Ford GPW) with the 283 Corvette and a Duntov 30/30 cam, squish lifters and a modded small dia. HEI dizzy with Ford electronics firing thru an Accel coil. Holley 450 vac secondaries well set up with a power valve for the lack of idle compression.

But it's cramped to drive, lifts up left on acceleration and dives right on hard decel (high RPM). Not fun at all and that's why I said cars with soul shouldn't be scary. The thing was designed to go 45 MPH max. It's pretty much stock except for the engine. Tranny and axles are from a CJ5, not much of an improvement except for bigger brakes.

If the thing has soul, then so does the Devil.

But it's fun when idling through cars and coffee.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I've never owned an appliance car, but the F355 oozed character and soul. That car, at 8K rpm, with straight exhaust, was unbelievable.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post
. . .

Third is an 84 M491 that I'm currently dialing in. Just put in fixed-back Momo, a mystery geared '75 915 that shifts like a Honda, George's headers with custom Ben McFarland muffler (really megaphones masquerading as a muffler) and serious weight loss have transformed the car into quick little rocket on rails, and I haven't even done the suspension yet. This car will be perfect next spring. So much fun.
Now all you need to turn that thing into a real machine, and not some kind of wannabe, is one of these, Shaun!

Old 09-13-2019, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Caterham needs to bring back the CSR line.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Now all you need to turn that thing into a real machine, and not some kind of wannabe, is one of these, Shaun!
Pffft. It takes me two days to make lobster bisque. Would you rather I do that or wait the same time for the turbo to spool up after shifting from 2nd to 3rd?

I'm working on a 4.0L MFI engine. You know, a real motor.

This, or a single shift. Which is better?

Old 09-13-2019, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

That food does not look stock, and likewise, a non-stock turbocharger does not suffer from long spool times. Why Porsche used a 1950s era, truck turbocharger on the 930, for a decade and a half is beyond comprehension (same reason they chose to keep using Dilivar head studs, 1940s era relays and fuse panels, CIS fuel injection, etc., I suppose).

PS - my boosted mil will make your 4L MFI shat itself and cry out for its mama!!!!
Old 09-13-2019, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

That food is stock. lobster stock.

You make a strong point with CIS.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavulon View Post
Caterham needs to bring back the CSR line.

A small company is building one even more radical.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
A small company is building one even more radical.
Do tell. After I posted, I searched and found some references to a Caterham 485 CSR dated this past summer. I left a message at my closest Caterham dealer--maybe they're already back!
Old 09-13-2019, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
Rumor has it that Tesla had a soul but it was sold to the devil.
(the devil got a bad deal)
Old 09-13-2019, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Any car that can haul as much ass as the Tesla I watched rocket down a runway at a small airport I work at has mega soul, be it evil or not. That thing would spank the fat ass off of my modded Turbo, without even trying very hard.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

I’d say any air cooled 911 is the pinnacle, I’ve not experienced a more communicative car that you can simultaneously use and trust. Someday I’ll have another, just a question of when.

I’d rank modern Porsches a step below. They offer better practicality and performance but have lost some of the character and communication in the process.

My 1991 FJ80 Land Cruiser had it in spades. It was like your dog, a trusty old friend that you could always count on. Miss that thing.

My C63 AMG had it, that was a car with a personality. It was keg party 24/7 personality but still.

Other honorable mentions would be the RX7 and 8, Miatas on steroids that have a very unique engine.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

My '78 Jeep CJ5, '87 Supra Turbo (mebbe not "soul"... but ), and my 911.

Tough call between the CJ5 and the Carrera tho'....different critters .
Old 09-14-2019, 03:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: