Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Doesn’t Petrolicious attempt to explain this stuff in each film?
Old 09-14-2019, 03:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Any car that can haul as much ass as the Tesla I watched rocket down a runway at a small airport I work at has mega soul, be it evil or not. That thing would spank the fat ass off of my modded Turbo, without even trying very hard.

Only once. Try to do it a second time in a row immediately after the first run, or third, or all day long.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 09-14-2019, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

I wuz at a stoplight a few daze ago in my F150...I only saw the word "Platinum" (didn't see the emblem)...that thing quietly left me behind....meh ...souless efficiency .

Not for me...different strokes.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
IMO "Fast" and "have soul" are not synonymous. Fast may be exciting and amazing but that isn't soul stirring. A painting may be huge but that doesn't mean the subject or the technique used by the artist stirs my soul.

To me (just me) to "have soul" is to have a distinct personality that I make a connection with. YMMV (or should I say "your battery charge time may vary")

Last edited by Por_sha911; 09-15-2019 at 10:49 AM..
Old 09-14-2019, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Por_sha911 View Post
IMO "Fast" and "have soul" are not synonymous. Fast may be exciting and amazing but that is soul stirring. A painting may be huge but that doesn't mean the subject or the technique used by the artist stirs my soul.

To me (just me) to "have soul" is to have a distinct personality that I make a connection with. YMMV (or should I say "your battery charge time may vary")
That. A REALLY fast Tesla does not necessarily have soul. Maybe it does, I've never driven one, but I doubt it.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 09-14-2019, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to petrolhead611
The Renaultsport Clio 172 Cup was alive, so raw( they were a homologation special) , a joy to drive .Regret changing it for faster better equipped Brabus Smart ForFour which is squirmy under hard acceleration and the back end won't unstick when trying hard on Autosolos, unlike the Clio which would be hopping around on 3 wheels tightly round the same corner
My Vindicator Vulcan is totally open, no windscreen, doors,carpet,heater,radio, but that is all compensated for by the absolute responsiveness and interestingly, the smooth ride despite flat cornering .
Vindicator Vulcan V8 spyder, street legal sports racing car
(300hp,1400 lbs kerb weight) used for sprints on circuits, and hillclimbs
Old 09-14-2019, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Reelin' In The Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr View Post
my Porsche 964 after a couple of days driving it up and down mountains in the Alps
Same here, only the Maryland Alps

I have had access to a number of cars with the accepted parameters of "soul": 911's, BMW 2002Tii, RX-7, '87 Audi Quattro, Lotus Super 7, Abarth Zagato Double Bubble Coup, '77 BMW 320i, etc.

But (always a but) there are any number of definitions of "soul" that have nothing to do with performance...at least on the street.

The car with the most-est soul for me was my '96 Defender 90 with a rag top and aluminum hardtop.

I would drive it to the trails in Virginia, off-road (nothing too serious) and then drive home. Get up on Monday and drive it to work. There was just something about that rig that made me happy.

It remains the only car I regret selling...perhaps the truest test of soul.

BTW, those of you who doubt the veracity of my Maryland Alps claim: https://dnr.maryland.gov/centennial/Pages/Centennial-Notes/Skiing-NewGermany.aspx

Last edited by Seahawk; 09-14-2019 at 06:25 AM..
Old 09-14-2019, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Good Morning Gentlemen,

Great choices! Absolutely great!

I absolutely agree that "soul" in an automobile is not a performance equation. It's intangible, experiential.

I hesitated adding my truck to the list, but I'm glad other's did. Driving through the worst Vermont blizzard I've experienced in 40 years of New England weather, my 2006 GMC Sierra's all wheel drive was sure-footed amazing! Having to re-route both highways and by-ways, the Jimmy just glided through everything at pretty much posted speeds. With great wipers, ventilation and heat, my daughter and I were cozily secure for 300 miles of that hushed quiet you experience driving on fresh snow.

I've never driven a Lotus and was fascinated to see that selection. After further consideration I'm going to repeat my 1973 BMW 2002 and Audi Quattro choice and add the Renault R5 'LeCar'.

-----------------------------------------
"A man must consider what a rich realm he abdicates when he becomes a conformist." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~ (thanks to Pat Keefe)
Old 09-14-2019, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Gotta speak up for 944...first an '84, then an 85.5, now an '87 - yep...they've got it!
Old 09-14-2019, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
74 911Ebay

100cc go kart. It handles just like, well, a go kart. Summary. Your car that handles like a go kart, no it doesn’t.

Lotus Elise. The suspension/car communicates so well that I swore you could drive it blind folded.

Porsche 914. First car I owned that I though, “Yep, this is how I though a car could handle. Now if I could just get the shifter to work like the suspension does…”
Old 09-14-2019, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Super 7s are fun, but they feel like kit cars. The most soulful car I had was my 79 911sc Targa. The 76 BMW was a bit of a rust bucket and had been ‘restored’ too many times, but I still find them appealing.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavulon View Post
Doesn’t Petrolicious attempt to explain this stuff in each film?
This is not the first time we have discussed it and we have superior writers.

I think it has to go more than 3000 feet tall to be an Alp

Mark Twain
Old 09-15-2019, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
To me, a vehicle with "soul" is more akin to a vehicle exhibiting "personality"; you know when it's "happy" and you know when it's not. Kinda like riding your favorite horse.

I have had some great cars that acted as mere "appliances" (Audi A6 Avants, Q3, Dodge 1500 half-ton, old Subaru) - they get you there but you just don't feel as "connected" as you should. The A6 Avant was undeniably the best road car I've ever owned but it pretty much drove itself and I was merely the guy behind the wheel guiding it there. It would run rings around my old 911 without issue. But I don't miss it. If I was going for a drive and could pick anything in the garage, the A6 usually sat and something else would go in its place.

Cars I've had with "soul":

76 Audi Fox - Light and nimble and silky gearbox with a motor that loved to rev (to a point). Great driver feedback for a front-wheel drive car. Every outing was an adventure. You were never sure you'd get there or not...

92 Audi 100 - Solid highway cruiser that always wanted to go faster. Never let me down and always brought me home. Super quiet, like riding in a bank vault. I always felt at home and "at peace" with this car for some reason.

I owned those for ~20 years each (with ~10 year overlap).

And of course my 911 (for all the reasons everybody always mentions and then some...)
Old 09-15-2019, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

It may be that cars with souls have quirks...like the quirks associated with being predominantly or entirely analog.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
pretty much anything Italian

AND... an Italian car looks good sitting on the side of the road while you wait for a tow truck (unlike most Brit-mobiles)
Old 09-15-2019, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Based on the majority idea of what "soul" means in a vehicle, then my 1990 E350 box truck, with an International 7.3l DMFI diesel, has soul in abundance (it's old, entirely analog, slow, quirky, has plenty of rattles and squeaks, has its own personality when it comes to steering and braking, you feel every bump and ridge in the road, there's no mistaking when it is happy or sad, etc.). Maybe that's why I've owned it for 22 years?!?!
Old 09-15-2019, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Not a car but a motorbike. A triumph 650. It had a LOT of soul. Sometimes like "No, I don't want to go out today." "Yeah, I'm ready to ride. Race even." You could feel it's good days and it's bad days. Moody but I loved that bike.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

65 vw bug
Old 09-16-2019, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

First gen M cars, whether e30 or e28. Felt handbuilt, which they were. Balanced performance out the wazoo.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 09-16-2019, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
Only once. Try to do it a second time in a row immediately after the first run, or third, or all day long.
This is a good point.. I would have chance to show a Tesla the superiority of turbo pooowwwaahhhhh after a little time had passed (the bisch would be looking for a wall socket while I was still swilling fuel at 9mpg (about 4mpg during boost).

Not to mention that my meat locker a/c would freeze the nutz off that thing (modern cars with their so conservative vent temps really make me laugh).
Old 09-16-2019, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: