Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

When your body betrays you

A few years back, popped a tendon in my left foot. Now walk with a slappy foot. Uncomfortable and goofy, but I can still deal with it for the most part. Pretty obvious that my 100 yard dash days passed some years ago anyway.

What REALLY bugs me is that I can't do the clutch work I used to. No more heel and toe, I have to try to stab at the clutch with leg muscles only, ankle not involved, difficult to hold the foot at the right angle. This a real esteem blow. Hell, since my first car, I've always had a manual transmission. I learned to drive manual in no synchro machines...a WWII surplus jeep, a 1950 F-1 pickup.

This is NOT a for sale ad. Strange as it sounds to those here, I already have willing buyers for my 30,000 miles old '09 Mustang Bullitt lined up. I've been net researching the new Mustang GT premium with performance pak one and the new 10 speed automatic with paddle shifters. Love the mechanicals, 460 horsepower, independent suspension, brembo brakes, torsen rear end, etc...HATE the electronics and the star trek dash. Ford knows it's demographics...the younger guys in their 30's seem to love this stuff.

So, the dash is enough of a turn off for me, Mustang is sliding off the list. I guess my question to the group is for what else to look at? $50K or less, decent performance, auto trans, and hopefully not having to learn how to operate a star trek dashboard to drive. My searching seems to reveal that all the makers love this stuff...probably because it sells.

Sigh...maybe it's time to put a wooden stake through the heart of my inner car guy, and buy a luxobarge Buick? Gawd! Just shoot me now...
Old 09-16-2019, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Does it have to be new? Used Cayman with the paddle shifter setup maybe.

For the foot, you want functional orthotic with Kirby skive modification. You are in Bend right? Frank Cobarrubia can hook you up on that.

Mark Twain
Old 09-16-2019, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Nope, I'm west of Bend by 120 Highway 20 miles or so. But many thanks for the tip! I really would prefer keeping my old, slow, and obsolete Bullitt Mustang over a new one. I've found it to be a very well balanced driver that does nothing in a spectacular manner and everything pretty damned well.

Ill be looking into orthotics...seriously, many thanks!

I was sliding into a funk over the thought of having to get rid of a car I enjoy.

Last edited by pwd72s; 09-16-2019 at 10:42 AM..
Old 09-16-2019, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

My body may not be betraying me, but it certainly is paying me back
Old 09-16-2019, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
sorry to hear, Paul

what auto-trans options can you get on a used mustang of the MY's you like?
Old 09-16-2019, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
sorry to hear, Paul

what auto-trans options can you get on a used mustang of the MY's you like?
Only the old style "gooey go" trans in 2009 and earlier unfortunately. The 2010's had a slight body change I'm not crazy about. Kinda reminds me of when I first saw a 1974 911, and then decided to look for a '73 or earlier. The new Mustang 10 speed trans comes only in cars with star trek dashes.

Good one, Sammy. With nearly 76 trips around the sun, I know exactly what you mean. Our lists of the paybacks may be different, but there they are.

Last edited by pwd72s; 09-16-2019 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: additional thought
Old 09-16-2019, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Bland

Garage
ok, how about a Mazda? (zoom, zoom)

not a Miata something else - a Mazda 3

or the sportiest Civic

and don't diss 'em until you try a test drive(!)

I also assume you want something that is not too low to the ground and is fairly easy to get in & out of...

BTW, does your PowerWagon have a stick?
Old 09-16-2019, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Paul,

Take a look at an E92 M3 with the DCT. I love mine. Four liter V8, 8250 rpm redline, 414 hp, incredible handling, comfortable, pretty and fast. Last made in MY 2013, so there are still nice ones out there, and very nice ones in the $32-35K range. A Mustang was on my short list when I bought mine, but the M3 won out. There are a few things to look out for, so let me know if you are interested.

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/1022378-yes-its-another-white-911-build.html
Old 09-16-2019, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobra View Post
For the foot, you want functional orthotic with Kirby skive modification.
Just make sure it is a well sorted Kirby Skive...there are some Wong Skives on the market.

Seriously, Mr. Paul, whenever my body decides to rebel I used to be the master of workarounds. No more.

Get it fixed. I want a ride in the Bullitt, btw...get the slappy foot fixed first
Old 09-16-2019, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

If it helps you feel better at 46 Iím already complaining about climbing up and out of sedans.

Test drive a ton of stuff and report back so we can enjoy the search from afar.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

I have been looking at the 392 Challenger. Very tempting.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
Just make sure it is a well sorted Kirby Skive...there are some Wong Skives on the market.

Seriously, Mr. Paul, whenever my body decides to rebel I used to be the master of workarounds. No more.
Knees by Zimmerman. Could not afford the upgrade to the Kirby Skive. Went with a small block Chevy instead.

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/1022378-yes-its-another-white-911-build.html
Old 09-16-2019, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I weekend of cutting, moving and splitting firewood has my body screaming at me too. Hopefully with enough bourbon it will feel better soon. Cayman is a good idea, I'm looking for one too. Different trans though. The challenger is interesting, but man are they big!
Old 09-16-2019, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
ok, how about a Mazda? (zoom, zoom)

not a Miata something else - a Mazda 3

or the sportiest Civic

and don't diss 'em until you try a test drive(!)

I also assume you want something that is not too low to the ground and is fairly easy to get in & out of...

BTW, does your PowerWagon have a stick?

Don't like front wheel drive...like in Cindy's Camry.

'77 Power wagon was a 4 speed manual. It's gone. Shifting it became problematic, but the real reason sold was that I didn't drive it much, maybe 100 miles it's last year here...and I just got tired of messin' with it.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
Aging is cruel becuase mentally you think you can - you body didn't quit on you - the parts are getting old.

I just passed on a VW GTI-R stick car. I love manual transmissions but, as cool as this is (and it was), it isn't the car for me. I settled for something else. No shame -

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 09-16-2019, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
The Camry is a nice appliance. The Mazda/Civic Si are better than that - just try a test drive...

Another idea is to make a list of all dealers in your preferred radius (I know Portland is out - I don't visit there either), then work thru the likely models for each dealer.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

Really like the idea of a dodge retro hot rod of some sort.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Guys, thanks for all the advice...first I'll be looking into some sort of ankle appliance. If not that? Well, I can learn to ignore the electronics I don't care about while using the ones I find useful...it works for me in Cindy's Camry...I use the touch screen enough to plug in the ipod set to shuffle play, then pretty much ignore the damned thing for the rest of the drive. If not that, I might look into the cost of converting the Bullitt to an automatic. That would make it a rare car indeed, since they came only with a well proven tremec 5 speed. Probably not cost effective though.

Randy, I am 100% set against front wheel drive..just hate the steering, a common characteristic of all. Boy do I ever agree with you on avoiding Portland...the traffic nightmare alone...any car that would require going there for service is off the list. That was one of the reasons I shipped the old 911S off to Istanbul more than a decade ago. Things have only gotten worse up there since.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
I'm against it on theoretical grounds too. But I once had a Honda Prelude, and the thing was great! Good hood views too (much like a 911). So I suggest trying a drive, as they've only gotten better...

and BTW it only deserved the Qualude moniker at low speeds - it was a better high-speed car than a Supra ("tested" them both by crossing Nevada...)
Old 09-16-2019, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
I see you

I have a slappy foot too due to SCI. Been living with it for 19 years. You can make it work, believe me.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 09-16-2019, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: