Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
Ok, so I discovered that I already had holes for 6.5" speakers in the kick panels behind the covers and bought these on eBay for ~$40 brand new:

What speaker wire should I buy for an equally CSOB price online?
Just get a 20 spool of the gauge you want, that should not cost much.

Old 01-18-2020, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
any rel. thick speaker wire will be as good as any other

Radio Shack is fine
Old 01-18-2020, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
any rel. thick speaker wire will be as good as any other

Radio Shack is fine
You still have Radio Shack where you live?
Old 01-18-2020, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

14 or 16 gauge should be fine. A long wire run (50 ft), high power amp, or low impedance speakers might require 12 gauge.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner or later View Post
14 or 16 gauge should be fine. A long wire run (50 ft), high power amp, or low impedance speakers might require 12 gauge.
Thanks. It's only going to be about 3' on the long side from the head unit to the speaker. I'm going to hit Best Buy tomorrow and see what they have. They still exist around here.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks. It's only going to be about 3' on the long side from the head unit to the speaker. I'm going to hit Best Buy tomorrow and see what they have. They still exist around here.
Wal Mart, Lowes, or Home Depot will also have what you need.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Looks like those are 4 ohm speakers so go with the 14 gauge. That has been my go to size over the years.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Just make sure you make good, solid connections and get the polarity properly squared away. It's never going to sound great, but little things still make a difference.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

I have NOS McIntosh head / amp in my 911 with Focal speakers in the door and a slim 10" sub under the pass toe board. Sounds great and looks amazing. Although the amount of $$ I spent was ridiculous in 2005 - Nothing looks like it and is period correct.
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 01-19-2020, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
Quote:
You still have Radio Shack where you live?
yeh it's north of the Grange Hall...
Old 01-19-2020, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by herr_oberst View Post
Just make sure you make good, solid connections and get the polarity properly squared away. It's never going to sound great, but little things still make a difference.
Thanks. With this in mind, (little things), I'm wondering if I should stuff insulation of some type in the kick panel before installing speakers? The car already has holes for the 6.5" as I mentioned, finally getting around to putting them in but it seems like a big sheet metal cave around them.

Will it help? Thanks again as always.

The holes:
Old 02-15-2020, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Model Citizen

A piece of DynaMat on the door skin right behind the speaker wouldn't hurt, and you can buy foam cups specifically for car installs. I wouldn't use regular insulation because of the moisture.

Old 02-15-2020, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Nice guy eddie

Garage
Thanks!
Old 02-15-2020, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

^It should be a closed-cell foam material to prevent moisture absorption.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Used User

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrochex View Post
^It should be a closed-cell foam material to prevent moisture absorption.
Anything if that cavity gets moisture. Door panels usually have plastic over the inner door body before the panel is set. I would think that applies to kick panels, etc.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: