Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

They are out there. Just not into the cars we are into for the most part. They like the late 80's, 90's, early 2000's rice burners. No carbs, points, distributors. They like FI and computers. But that is OK. It's the same just different. Probably not unlike the guys with the T-buckets, and various rods vs. the guys coming home from WWII and Korea with European cars like MGTD's, Jag 120, 140, 160's. This guy is all in for dropping a C230 Kompressor drive train and engine in my 71 280's.

Last edited by drcoastline; 09-23-2019 at 07:42 PM..
Old 09-23-2019, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Insert Tag Line HERE.....

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rattlsnak
My son showed zero interest in cars growing up. He would help if I needed someone to help bleed brakes, etc. but other than that.. nothing... BUT.. just last week he asked me to change the brakes on his wife's car AND he wanted to know how/learn how to do it. I jokingly told him, why now?? he said well, you're not going to live forever!! WTF?? ha ha ..
Old 09-23-2019, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
San Ramon, CA

I think you can split the generations by 'raised in a car seat or not'
Old 09-23-2019, 10:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

This is a diffent world than the one most of us grew up in without cell phones, internet, or video games. We had monthly car magazines, bicycles, and our imaginations to keep us busy. It personally thrills me to see kids riding their bikes, and throwing a ball around any more.

The internet has created an instant gratification society that can't concentrate long enough to do a bench rebuild on a carb, or to set points/timing correctly by hand. Physical labor is for someone else to do.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
My friends call me, Top

Garage
My son and daughter . They grew up and learned to drive on my herd of P-cars and BMW's. They did SCCA events, Street survival and Solo, and learned a lot about car control and maintenance. I have always done all of my own work, and they got to help. It instilled in them an appreciation of vehicles that continues to this day. When my daughter graduated from college this past May (numero uno at Geo. Mason school of Marketing) I gave her my last Porsche. Of course, the stipulation is I keep it at home until she has a secure garage (how's that for incentive) to keep it in. My son will get my '71 charger when I finish resurrecting it from years on neglect.
They always send me pictures of cool cars they see in their daily travels.

'87 924S
'71 440 Charger R/T
Old 09-24-2019, 03:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

idk. I see plenty of kids at the local C&C.. both as spectators and participants. The Fast and Furious crowd if you will.. Spoilers, wheels, bagged suspensions etc. Large turbos. Always talking about "stage 1" or "stage x" mods. Computer programs/reflashes to get more HP from their 1.5L Honda/Hyundai turbos.. suddenly going from 200hp to 300 hp (or more for a short time at least) with a tune and ethanol.

Then, as others mentioned, cars for the most part are reliable. Or plug in a computer to get some codes and just do wholesale part replacement. Not a lot of mechanical issues.. points, plugs, condensors, lubing chasis, heat exhangers rusting, throttle springs snapping etc.

The new basics are:
1) Add gas (or remember to plug in over night)
2) Learn how to change a tire (assuming the car has a spare tire, vs a can of sealant)
3) Roadside assistance (whether it be AAA or Mom/Dad)
4) Check oil
5) Check coolant
6) Check brake fluid
Spark plugs? those are 100K miles now. Change coolant? nope.. "lifetime" there too

I hope my kids find my 914 interesting. At least its taught them about "manual windows" !
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 09-24-2019, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbay View Post
I think you can split the generations by 'raised in a car seat or not'
+1

The general interest has changed away from the car scene. I can understand. Cars that teens can afford haven't been very interesting in a long time.

I do see the behavior that some here are complaining about. But I see ambition and actual physical activity a lot too. There are a lot of good kids out there. I will not paint an entire generation with a brush wielded by crotchety old men.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
There has always been an evolution in the car scene. Just last Saturday I was at a local car show that has been going for 35 years. Lots of old American iron, and some imports. They invited our local Porsche club to participate, so we did.

I wondered around and the cars were ranged from really nice slightly modernized 1959 Cadillac Eldorado to total rat rods. Evey single car was something some owner loved and spent time and money on. Over 150 cars and I did not see one single Model T, not even a T-bucket. There was a time when Model Ts were the hot thing in car shows, because they were cheap and easy to hotrod. That generation and the kids of that generation are gone, or don't do car shows.

I had two different kids that really like my car. One was a boy about 12. I let him sit in it, and talked to him about it. The other kid was a very cute 6 to 8 year old girl that was hanging on to her dads hand. She told her daddy that was the car she want to have when she was old enough to drive. I let her sit in in as well. Bot kids remembered to say thank you to me. I hope I helped make two more future "car guys" and car enthusiasts.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!

Last edited by GH85Carrera; 09-24-2019 at 06:03 AM..
Old 09-24-2019, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Zink Racer

My son may be outside of the age range you are concerned about but he daily drives a Golf R 6 speed and this is his project, a 79 Blazer. He recently turned 27. He's restored the interior, done brakes, etc. His last year of high school was spent at the tech college in auto shop. If he lived closer I'm sure I'd have him in a 914 or similar by now. He learned to drive in my old SC. I'm not sure we'll ever live close enough together to really share the hobby other than at a distance given his career.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

That /\/\ is nicely done!
Old 09-24-2019, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

For me - essentially I'd like to share my knowledge and experiences with the young generation about the basics of learning something 'hands-on' that has value - in exchange for their time and effort where I also pay them.

IE: I had one guy in his early 20's that wanted to help me, this instance with yard work. We had to move a medium size amount of dirt from a pile to then spread it over a large area about 20 ' away.
1) I explained what we were going to do: because the previous home owner had purposely built this pile of dirt to unload his riding lawnmower.
2) Why: I didn't like it because it detracted from the back yard.
3) Why not pay someone else to do it?: Because this is how you save money in your household budget by doing this yourself instead of paying a contractor $1000 - 1500 to move it.

He did OK - but after a while lost a fair amount of steam. He did come back one more time and that was it. BTW - I paid him $15 / hr..............
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 09-24-2019, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

I do think as others have said that there is a lot of things, largely social media that vie for young peoples attention.

Also, where I live............there is very low unemployment, adjacent to 2 of the wealthiest county's in the US and the fact that parents seem to cater to their kids instead of requiring something from them.

The service industry is HUGE here.

IE: a guy that I work with who does Uber in the late evenings frequently gets calls to pick up McDonald's food and then deliver it to someone's house. Typically to high schoolers or young 20 something's. As in a crap fast-food $12 meal now costs $25 delivered. Like livin hillbilly rich..........

Last edited by asphaltgambler; 09-24-2019 at 08:29 AM..
Old 09-24-2019, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Seriously, go out to a oval short track, dragstrip, or kart track event.

Look around.

You guys are stuck in a routine where you no longer are going out to the right places.

As a youth, you sought out the right places.

Now you just expect any place to be like your youth.

It is more about where you are. You are stuck not being able to see where you could be.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

There are many other things that they can do. When we ere coming up we didn't have a fraction of what kids have today. Kids today also don;t want to get dirty. How many of us cut grass to make money. Now we have adults that do that for a living. Different times and when electronics and slick marketing now dominate kids attention.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop

Kids have more choices today. If I could have: played on a computer, drone, go pro, etc instead of playing in the woods, I sure as hell would have. Every generation is different and every older generation laments that things have changed.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

I realize that my two sons, now 30 and 27 years of age, are somewhat unusual in this day and age. Both are rabid car enthusiasts. So are all of their friends, but that is kind of a "chicken or the egg" question. Two out of the four young engineers that joined my group at work before I retired are also rabid enthusiasts, but that may be more due to the nature of the work and who it attracts.

I see plenty of young people at our local cars and coffee events as well. Maybe, as a percentage of the population they are fewer than my generation was, but there is no shortage of enthusiasm.
"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 09-24-2019, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Hey fellas-
This is my daughter. Weíll call her ďAnnikaĒ. Typically donít post much on social media - but you guys are (for the most part) pretty benign.

She is pictured here with Ďherí car. Gifted by grandma. Photo is last year when we picked it up. She was not old enough for learnersí permit then, and is currently doing behind the wheel. Will be able to take her test around end of December / start of January.

Grandmaís car is all there, and only 47,000 miles on the clock.

Annika and I spent about 2 weeks (free time, mostly weekends) vacuuming, steam cleaning, detailing the interior (grandma drives their dog around quite a bit) and wash / clay bar / polish / seal & wax the exterior.

Then, we went through the oil change, and check-over routine. Needed to get alignment (something was terribly wrong - broken sway bar link, steering wheel out of whack 90 degrees out). Never did get the straight scoop from grandma.
Also did a 4 wheel brake job. Checked over calipers, replaced pads & rotors, bled the brakes.

This last weekend, we noticed it was missing on #1 cylinder. She came along to local FLAPS with me and we had the ECU read. Bought new plugs and installed. A can of sea foam and tank full of premium - just to make sure thereís no gas issue.

Annika has been by my side the whole time, and helps when necessary / possible.

This coming weekend is timing belt (preventative measure - age, not miles) and water pump.

Plan to have my son in the garage for at least some of that too.

More than I had exposure to when I was a kid.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

We were at the Japanese classic car show down in Long Beach this weekend. This was my second time and the last time, there were a bunch of older guys there, 40-50s. This time around, the show was about 3-4 times the size named packed with people. Most were younger folks in their 20-mid 30s with only a few old guys. its alive just not like what it was 30 years ago when I was a teenager
Old 09-24-2019, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Did you get the memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tervuren View Post
Seriously, go out to a oval short track, dragstrip, or kart track event.

Look around.

You guys are stuck in a routine where you no longer are going out to the right places.

As a youth, you sought out the right places.

Now you just expect any place to be like your youth.

It is more about where you are. You are stuck not being able to see where you could be.
Yup. If you hear do-wop music and old muscle cars you arenít in the right place. Our local cars and coffee is big and gets bigger every month, itís probably 50% or more people under 30. Diverse cars, diverse owners, but car enthusiasts all. Just because they donít like your flavor of cars or do the upgrades that you would do doesnít make them less of car guys. This topic surfaces every few months and is always equally ridiculous.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

^^^^ good response^^^

Old 09-24-2019, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: