Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Still Doin Time

Passing of an Era in Young People?

Is anyone here mentoring someone in the car hobby? P-car or other?

Just curious as it seems to me that young people, teenager's specifically are just not wanting to learn about cars, the hobby or even performance related wheeled stuff anymore.

Been through a handful of young people at my church and it seems fruitless. I don't really have any end expectations other than are they willing to learn and work? ....................apparently not.

We have a medium sized 275+ congregation with a very active youth program. Put the word out again..................crickets.

OK - says I - does anyone want to make some extra cash helping me with yard work and other things house and possibly auto related?.......................................... ....crickets.

Recently I went just short of advertising in the local online paper for any to all the above. I've asked around. I'm easy going / fairly generous in giving back to others and a good amount of patience.

For now - I've put that on hold as the fall / winter season is about here and I don't have the time or projects where I need inexperienced / no experience help.

What say y'all?

'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 09-23-2019, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Modern cars are reliable enough you don't need to know how to do the kind of things you're offering.
People can still be into cars without knowing how to rebuild a carb.

My 2009 Jaguar, just fluids/filters/tires/batteries.
It is ten years old.

It isn't like my 944's where there is always something in need here or there, sometime more than one something at a time.
You'll find a lot of the car enthusiast in a younger generation are into far more reliable cars.
To them working on a car is putting spacers on the wheels, changing out the springs to lower it, etc.
This is because the car they like doesn't "need work", so it is about cosmetics.

Last edited by Tervuren; 09-23-2019 at 02:49 PM..
Old 09-23-2019, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ask em' if anyone can help youth set up a web site or anything computer related. I bet you have them lined up at your door step. Car, house, yard work requires actual work instead of pushing buttons and looking at a screen.

Last edited by look 171; 09-23-2019 at 02:54 PM..
Old 09-23-2019, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Unit they worked a little save a little money and buy that first fixer upper, then that when they know they need to learn how to do stuff around the house to save a few bucks. Now, not a care in the world. I don't know about some of the folks that grew up in the farms, they still have to fix things or they just pay to have it done?
Old 09-23-2019, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
I was at a cars and coffee in a suburb just north of Chicago in June. I met up with a couple of friends. I took my 944, my friends had a new Alfa and an all electric Hyundai. I was so happy not to see tri-five Chevys or a 69 Camaro. I did see a 70 Camaro. The mix was primarily Asian and German. Body kits, lots of chrome turbos, lowered cars, tints - it was actually refreshing. A lot of money in some of these rides. There were a few Corvettes, mostly late model stuff.

I think the car culture is there - it is changing.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 09-23-2019, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I doubt if Greta Thunberg is pining for a Porsche or Alfa or Aston Martin. Her "How dare you" is getting a bit of attention. Good on her.

Controversial for sure.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I still get the occasional young guy walk in and beg for a job,
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 09-23-2019, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
My sons were mentored from a very early age to work on their own stuff. I have a cousin who is interested so I try to give him as much advice and hands on as I can.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
I have no problem finding high school age kids to do yard work for $10 an hour. Very few of them have any interest in cars.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.” -Socrates
Old 09-23-2019, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tervuren View Post
Modern cars are reliable enough you don't need to know how to do the kind of things you're offering.
People can still be into cars without knowing how to rebuild a carb.
Or knowing how to change a flat.
Or checking battery under load or parasitic drain from a component.
Or tracking down a fuse blowing.
Or adjusting a bent window bracket.
Or fixing a ding with PDR.
Or any other worn out component.
Or anything else related to normal wear and tear for a simple powered metal box on wheels.

Knowledge comes with experience.
Experience costs a whole lot of money when someone else fixes it...
That basic necessity takes away from other budgets. (and ability. feeling of self-worth. self-confidence. etc.etc.)

Even simple things are now more complex for the older generation growing up with them..

The youth of today not only need to know the past but also be able to prepare for the future.
Or they will simply be replaced.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
I believe it has more to do with the personal circumstances of the original poster than that there are less young people into cars.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Can you please explain further?

Is the asphaltgambler dude too wild?...or right-wing?....which puts the younger crowd off?
I honestly don't know.

With a former 'ASE-certified Master Mechanic' title, I've got a few years of mechanical experience behind the belt (or at least enthusiasm for the trade).
I've offered multiple times to teach my nephews how to work on a few things.
A gift horse from a faker-quasi-pro. (just imho)

They did not seem too interested or were always busy....meh whatever...

As a young man I would have jumped at any chance to learn the insider tricks of a trade.
"Stay frosty"
"Stay hungry"
(But back then I was cleaning carpets, working in a warehouse, paper route, mowing lawns, collecting cans at halftime games, or for lunch money, and running entire studentville McDs grill by myself before 16.)

Last edited by john70t; 09-23-2019 at 05:15 PM..
Old 09-23-2019, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

You are bang on, both my sons aren’t really into, or for that matter interested in driving. Both my wife and I are stumped, we couldn’t wait to drive when young.

I taught them the basics about maintenance but that’s as much as they want to learn.

I see it in a lot of kids in the neighbourhood, interest is just not there
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 09-23-2019, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Both of my boys were surrounded by exotic cars and bikes from birth; one likes cars, the other likes bikes. Not many of their friends do, although a few might.

There’s no question that their generation has comparatively little interest in cars and bikes than mine did. It’s not even close.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Kids today would rather play a video game with a helicopter in it than crawl all over an actual helicopter.

When I was a kid, nobody went home or went inside their house until it was dark. Nowadays, I almost never see any kids outside.

Things are different, for sure.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

My youngest is a car nut. Both old and new. Loves the real early Mercs and Ferrari's etc. Even knows who Auto Union is! We are both about to do the mechatronics unit is his fiances Golf. He'll wrench while I supervise.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Many of y'all's perception eis coloured bai yer perzerpzion of youzes own youth as an enthusahmiast about ottimoebills.

Becauzes youzes wersah intah tha ottimoebills tha utter youths dat younzes wanted to be around werz also into ottimoebills.

Youzes perseptions iz biazed to zee ownly the youths youzes hongs outz wiff from a mootual interisk in ottimoebills.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Are kids too comfortable to be risk-adverse at all?
Too afraid?

Danger is the natural state of reality:
Get hit by a bus crossing the street while texting your feelings about some media personality.
Consume poison pills for self-created bad thoughts until the heart or liver fails at age 16.
Build a backyard rocket and fly it into space in a blaze of burning glory.

Same difference. (well no, not actually the same thing)
Same result.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewolf View Post
My youngest is a car nut. Both old and new. Loves the real early Mercs and Ferrari's etc. Even knows who Auto Union is! We are both about to do the mechatronics unit is his fiances Golf. He'll wrench while I supervise.
my son is too, as are some of his friends. Jack (20) has an old blazer and one of his friends has a lowered 60s(?) gmc pick up at the extreme. They are always tinkering. Bad news for my driveway, but worth the stains. On the flip side, some of his other friends seem to drive appliances - early 2000's corollas and civics, etc.

I have faith... people just have different interests. My daughter won't drive - it makes some kind of sense. A car, gas, insurance, maintenance, etc. pays for quite a few ubers a year when you're 17.

Last edited by peteremsley; 09-23-2019 at 07:34 PM..
Old 09-23-2019, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: