Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I'm with Bill

Quote:
The six Florida cities and their rankings were: Fort Pierce (34); Hialeah (13); Miami Gardens (28); North Miami (25); North Miami BThe six Florida cities and their rankings were: Fort Pierce (34); Hialeah (13); Miami Gardens (28); North Miami (25); North Miami Beach (33); Hallandale Beach (37).each (33); Hallandale Beach (37).
I cannot speak for much of that article. Fort Pierce is 2 towns north of me, I know the town well. There is a large ghetto area there and it is slowly shrinking. The downtown area used to be a ghost town in the 90's today it has a fantastic green market on Saturdays and a large street festival the first Friday of every month. With live music, vendors etc.. all set up on the main drag through downtown which is closed to traffic.

The small ghetto is just a tiny part of the town, you go out west it is all farm land. Along the coast fishing and great beaches. I used to tow my boat up to Fort Pierce because the water there is pristine. Where I live they dump out Lake Okeechobee (Thanks US Corps of Engineers!!) so our water is all screwed up most of the summer.

I know a gal who moved to Hallendale, I surveyed her house for her. I was enamored by the area. I took my wife back down there another weekend and we explored around it. It was really nice there. I am sure there is probably a bad area, the area we were in appeared to be a Gay area, we saw a lot of gay bars weird stores etc... We even found a cool candy store that had all kinds of vintage candy and candy / snacks from around the world. Next door was a bondage store. -- Oops My Bad it was not Hallendale it was Wilton Manors not Hallendale. I am actually heading to a Subaru shop in Hallendale in a couple of weeks.

I do not agree with the article at all, especially from the experiences I have had in some of the cities on that list, some I know well others I have visited numerous times. Likes the parts of Miami they are talking about, the train I take to Miami stops in Overtown (made famous in scarface) Overtown is a pretty nice place now, lots of nice shops and restaurants. Hell the Formula E race I attended was about 4 blocks east of Overtown.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World

Last edited by Jims5543; 10-08-2019 at 12:13 PM..
Old 10-08-2019, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
I have no talent whatsoever. Every time I go there, I get stopped at the CA state line. Now to be fair, they do say I can visit for up to 7 days. But no way would they let me live there

I have “talent”. I did storyboards and design work on something that will be on Netflix in a couple months. Half my income still originates in Hollywood. But I left because L.A. is a death hole full of *******s.

Why should I suffer a twenty year mortgage to live in a non **** area when I could just leave and buy a house outright? I miss the canyon racing and a few cultural things. But otherwise my quality of life improved immensely by leaving.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
From my perspective the states with the most population would statistically have more of the cities that rank as the most miserable.

To simplify, if you had two states; one with 50M, the other with 25M; you could expect that out of the 30 worst cities one state might have 20 and the other state might have 10.

What is more surprising is when a low population state scores highly than when a high population state does.

Florida, NY, California, Texas, have populations on a scale that the other states do not.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims5543 View Post

I do not agree with the article at all, especially from the experiences I have had in some of the cities on that list, some I know well others I have visited numerous times. Likes the parts of Miami they are talking about, the train I take to Miami stops in Overtown (made famous in scarface) Overtown is a pretty nice place now, lots of nice shops and restaurants. Hell the Formula E race I attended was about 4 blocks east of Overtown.
Never been there, only know about it from what I've read and saw on "the first 48 hours". They've filmed lots of episodes at Overtown.

But at first glance the numbers don't look so good:

https://www.areavibes.com/miami-fl/overtown/crime/

Last edited by sammyg2; 10-08-2019 at 02:17 PM..
Old 10-08-2019, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Central Falls R.I. the armpit of R.I. Bad Place!
82 Spider, 84 GTV-6. 84 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
87 Milano ( Da Winta Beata)
Old 10-08-2019, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

BTW according to the wik, TJ has the highest murder rate of all major cities

Note that all these cities are in the western hemisphere. The wik doesn't say so but maybe that's all the data the author had available.
Grain of salt.

Last edited by sammyg2; 10-08-2019 at 02:26 PM..
Old 10-08-2019, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Wow, here's something I wouldn't have expected:

Quote:
The Most Dangerous Cities In The World

When planning your next trip, you may want to avoid some of the cities we are about to mention. In 2017, they ranked among the world’s most dangerous places on the basis of murder cases per capita.

Los Cabos, Mexico is the most dangerous city in the world with a murder rate of 111.33 per 100,000 people. This city's position on the list of the world's most dangerous cities is indicative of the increase in crime that Mexico has experienced over the last year.
In 2017 and 2018, the resort town of Los Cabos has made headlines news for a string of alarming murders. The majority of the violence in Los Cabos has mostly been related to the drug trade, and tourists have not been the target. Nonetheless, the instances of violence are still drastic, and have earned the popular vacation destination a spot on the top of the list of the world's most dangerous cities.

Caracas, Venezuela, is the second most dangerous city in the world. With 111.19 murders per 100,000 people, it formerly claimed the top spot.

In third place is Acapulco, Mexico, with 106.63 murders per 100,000 people. Violence brought on by drug trafficking and organized gangs have been blamed for the relentless violence in these cities, although the factors are generally quite complicated.
Unfortunately, none of these cities are strangers to the top three positions, except for maybe the resort town of Acapulco, where violence from other regions of the country has been spilling into in recent years.
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/most-dangerous-cities-in-the-world.html
Old 10-08-2019, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
Never been there, only know about it from what I've read and saw on "the first 48 hours". They've filmed lots of episodes at Overtown.

But at first glance the numbers don't look so good:

We were invited to a wedding in Tulsa OK this past January. My wife happened to look up the crime stats for the city and was worried about our safety.

I looked up the crime stats for West Palm Beach Florida and they were the same as Tulsa. I asked my wife if she felt unsafe in WPB, she said no, so she relaxed.

We went to the wedding, we had not rented a car since we were staying in downtown Tulsa, we walked everywhere, even at 1 in the morning leaving bars. We never felt like we were in a dicey situation. Are there bad areas? I am sure there are we were not in them.

Same goes for West Palm Beach, we go out there from time to time, as a matter of fact the groom of the aforementioned wedding met my wife and I in WPB for dinner and drinks one evening, we were walking around downtown WPB late at night, again, no worries. We were not in the hood.

Miami is the same, as is Fort Pierce, there are nice parts and bad parts, to assume the entire area is all bad is not being genuine. Most every decent size city in this country has bad parts. That does not mean the entire region is bad.

We do a lot of road trips all over the Southeast. Last summer we drove up to Tallahassee Florida. We did not do a lot of research, we picked a hotel we had points with and headed to it. We were so disappointed in the city. We were expecting a sprawling downtown area like Charleston or Savannah, instead it was a spread out mess with no real downtown with everything requiring a car drive to get to. We assumed since it was such an old city it would be laid out more to accommodate walking, we were wrong.

Furthermore, we did not feel safe there walking around at night, we ventured out once, I noted we were being followed we got inside a business fast and hung back and watched. Once I felt we were good to move we bee lined to the hotel and never did that again. We stuck to adventuring during the daytime. I will never return there.

The only other city I have been in that made me feel that way was NYC, but I know NYC I grew up there, I noticed a road we were walking on from our hotel was pretty shady, I adjusted our route 2 streets over and it was much safer with a lot of people around.

Point is, many cities have good and bad, focus on the bad and you spend you life sitting in your house scared of the world. I prefer to get out and explore.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 10-08-2019, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

A couple of years ago Myrtle Beach wuz the worst city fer crime on some bs story...stats .
I won't go there anymore 'cause some drunk college girlz are gonna attack me...if'n I do...yep!
Old 10-09-2019, 01:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims5543 View Post

Point is, many cities have good and bad, focus on the bad and you spend you life sitting in your house ..... .

Everyone has their own level of tolerance and comfort with different surroundings.
Yours is obviously different than mine.

Reminds me of threads we've had in OT discussing how dangerous Mexico had gotten.
Some folks say no way, never going there again.
Others argued that it is fine, a great place, and that the statistics are all wrong.
To each his own.
Heck, I won't even go to Los Angeles unless I absolutely have to.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Hey, maybe they are on to something here .......

Quote:

Mayor in Mexico tied to a truck and dragged through streets for ‘failing to fulfill campaign promises’

The Independent Stephen Mahon,The Independent

Angry farmers in Mexico abducted the mayor of their village and dragged him through the streets after claiming he went back on key campaign promises.

Police intervened to free Jorge Luis Escandón Hernández, who suffered no major injuries after the ordeal.

A group of protesters armed with clubs and rocks detained the mayor of Las Margaritas and tied him to the back of a pickup truck and dragged him through the streets, according to local news website El Heraldo de Mexico.

Footage of the attack shows the man being dragged along a road, with a mob running after him.

It was the second attack by farmers demanding that he fulfil his campaign promise to repair a local road and bring drinking water and electricity to the community of roughly 500.

In an earlier incident four months ago, a group of men ransacked his office after turning up there and finding it empty.

Eight hours after the incident, the mayor appeared on the central square in Las Margaritas and gave a speech, holding leaders in the Santa Rita community responsible and saying he would not be intimidated.

Mayors and local politicians in Mexico are routinely targeted by drug gangs when they refuse to cooperate or accept bribes.

The Prosecutor General’s Office said 10 people were injured in the incident and 11 were arrested.

Mr Hernandez said he views the attempt as abduction and attempted murder and will press charges.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Detached Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
It’s irrelevant because none of them have the resources or talent to live here.
Hence the reasons not to have rent control, Section 8 housing, etc. Its an expensive place to live and Denis is exactly right, if you don't have the resources, talent, skill set, you should live where you can afford to live independently.

Last edited by Hugh R; 10-09-2019 at 06:55 PM..
Old 10-09-2019, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Yes but Denis didn't mean it that way....he was being a smug elitist again.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairns View Post
Yes but Denis didn't mean it that way....he was being a smug elitist again.
Correct
Old 10-09-2019, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
Quote:
I admit that I did not bother to read that article and assumed...
and yet you say
Quote:
I’m only guilty of responding to a troll thread.
Seems like you are a little quick to find a fight about something on the internet. Now what was that definition of a troll?

Old 10-09-2019, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Insert Tag Line HERE.....

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rattlsnak
Quote:
No it’s not. Have you been there?
Wait, are you saying its not a s h i t h o l e, or its not pretty landscape? lol
Old 10-09-2019, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Not pretty anything. The mountains are mountains of trash. It’s one big landfill.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: