Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Stainless steel welding question.

I remember in welding night class there is some acid sort of stuff that you put on stainless steel welds and overnight it dissolves bits of carbon and black soot out of welds.

The reason I ask is I've bought a nice stainless steel S&W snubbie revolver that has a couple of tiny areas of corrosion that I'd like to dissolve the black spots out of then put renaissance wax on to fill the "pores".

Do any of you welding guys know what it may be - thanks.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
This Old Tony uses some "Pickling Gel" to clean up the stainless steel welds at 4.46 in this video.

Lots of info on Google about "Pickling Gel".

Old 10-11-2019, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Peter, that will be the stuff. I hope all's well in the fine city of Adelaide, Bill.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
All good here Bill. Just a thought... Can you post a picture of the areas of corrosion?
Old 10-12-2019, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Pickling gel works pretty well. You probably want to sand or polish a bit first. Try to get the visible rust off. Grey scotchbrite works well.

It's also good to prep with a strong caustic - you want to start with the surface as clean as possible. a bit of heat also helps - like 100F.

If the pickling gel is hard to find you can use citric acid or nitric acid - but a welding store should have the pickling gel.

Rinse thoroughly with distilled water.

Stainless is protected by a layer of chromium oxide. You want to strip off the oxide and any contaminants, then allow a new oxide layer to form in air.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post
All good here Bill. Just a thought... Can you post a picture of the areas of corrosion?

It's very minor and hard to see. But the gun on top where the barrel screws into the frame. I'm just a bit obsessive and would like to tidy it up.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: