Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Burn the fire.

Garage
Listening to Joe Rogan yesterday and reading about delivery services switching to EV... I think the next question is: Can the energy grid support EV vehicles? After-all, it's just displacing the pollution.

We need cheap modern nuclear to support a big shift to EVs.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 12-07-2019, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #201 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
Who is Joe Rogan?

Will more electric cars cause the grid to crash? Matteo Muratori of the National Renewable Energy Lab took a look at that question recently and decided the answer is no. His research suggests the existing grid can cope just fine with more electric cars on the road. In fact, it can handle the demand that would occur if 25% of the cars on the road are electric. After that, system upgrades will be necessary, but we are a long way away from that 25% number right now and will be for many years to come.

Good luck getting nuke plants built...
Old 12-07-2019, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #202 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
Who is Joe Rogan?

Will more electric cars cause the grid to crash? Matteo Muratori of the National Renewable Energy Lab took a look at that question recently and decided the answer is no. His research suggests the existing grid can cope just fine with more electric cars on the road. In fact, it can handle the demand that would occur if 25% of the cars on the road are electric. After that, system upgrades will be necessary, but we are a long way away from that 25% number right now and will be for many years to come.

I suspect it’s not as easy as that blanket answer. Some areas are largely tapped out on capacity while others would have plenty to spare. Ironically it’s the heavily urbanized areas that are a great fit for EV that also have electric grid issues.

One other note about EV, how many people are prepared to drop big money on a new car and then spend a few thousand to have a 220v or 440v charger installed in their garage?
Old 12-07-2019, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #203 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
220V shouldn't be too bad

yes, local grid issues are likely; dunno how fine-grained the NREL study was
Old 12-07-2019, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #205 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
needs a Ragin' Cajuns bumper sticker

and some crawfish net traps strung along the sides
Old 12-07-2019, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #206 (permalink)

Still here

Garage
Lots of smart folks on utube !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0W1ZZYIV8o
Old 12-07-2019, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #207 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

Quote:
Who is Joe Rogan?

That is in sharp contrast to my experience buying electricity for a municipality. Electricity is in limited supply and we see this evidenced when you hear those 'beat the peak' pleas in the summer time.

PS, electricity...ALL of it, not just what is used for cars, is gonna get a lot more expensive if demand goes up.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #208 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
I suspect itís not as easy as that blanket answer. Some areas are largely tapped out on capacity while others would have plenty to spare. Ironically itís the heavily urbanized areas that are a great fit for EV that also have electric grid issues.
urban areas are a great fit for mass transportation. buses and trains. not thousands of electric cars. this is backwards thinking. the point of clustering people is to find efficiencies and this is the very opposite!
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #209 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Quote:
220V shouldn't be too bad

yes, local grid issues are likely; dunno how fine-grained the NREL study was
I donít have any idea how expensive the Supercharger box is for your garage, but if you have to have new service brought in from your electric box for 220v or 440v that could easily run $2k+. I work in aerospace engineering but am jealous of the rates that electricians charge.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #210 (permalink)
Information Junky

those rates... they are shocking.

cough

wait, what are we talking about?

oh, right, the Homermobile.

Honk!

Last edited by island911; 12-08-2019 at 08:52 AM..
Old 12-08-2019, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #211 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
I suspect itís not as easy as that blanket answer. Some areas are largely tapped out on capacity while others would have plenty to spare. Ironically itís the heavily urbanized areas that are a great fit for EV that also have electric grid issues.

One other note about EV, how many people are prepared to drop big money on a new car and then spend a few thousand to have a 220v or 440v charger installed in their garage?
I spent 750 to have a outlet intalled.
2006 V70R 6sp/Brembo brakes/lots of goodies
2011 Mini Cooper S
Old 12-08-2019, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #212 (permalink)

Banned

Garage
houses get a 220v feed - the costs vary due to how hard it is to get the 220 to where you want to charge the car

I'm a fan of the BMW range booster type hybrids partly for that reason & partly due to the extreme lack of gas stations in the Oregon outback (where I camp & mess around a lot)
Old 12-08-2019, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #213 (permalink)

Electrician friend is looking forward to electric Porsche customers

Tesla 3 customers squawk incessantly about the $3 -$5k installations
My 73RSR build http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/893954-saving-73-crusher-again.html
Old 12-08-2019, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #214 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by svandamme View Post
except for tesla's won't drive into things
the brain will avoid crashing or running over peds.
Except firetrucks. They seem to like trucks.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #215 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
1 million "robo taxis" in about three weeks! Is everyone ready for them?
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 12-09-2019, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #216 (permalink)
Registered

Musk takes Cybertruck out for a spin. Takes out a pylon.

https://www.businessinsider.com/video-elon-musk-hits-traffic-sign-tesla-cybertruck-malibu-2019-12?utm_content=bufferb5c4a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-cars&fbclid=IwAR2f4eJr2GcNnWlMT_M32z_4P-PQAWqLZep_rzYeoSzg28kuEwYd0VvVVN0

Elon Musk took Tesla's new Cybertruck out for a spin in Los Angeles on Saturday. During his drive, he took out a traffic pylon and made some other questionable driving decisions.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #217 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner or later View Post

https://www.businessinsider.com/video-elon-musk-hits-traffic-sign-tesla-cybertruck-malibu-2019-12?utm_content=bufferb5c4a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-cars&fbclid=IwAR2f4eJr2GcNnWlMT_M32z_4P-PQAWqLZep_rzYeoSzg28kuEwYd0VvVVN0

Elon Musk took Tesla's new Cybertruck out for a spin in Los Angeles on Saturday. During his drive, he took out a traffic pylon and made some other questionable driving decisions.
A big truck clipping a traffic pylon, sorry, not big news.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #218 (permalink)
Registered

Must have been looking at his phone
Old 12-09-2019, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #219 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner or later View Post

He's driving a vehicle without a front plate...

Old 12-09-2019, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #220 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: