Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretch View Post
Whew!........... scary story.......... anyone who is a father had to be in major pucker factor reading it and cold sweats remembering it.
No kidding! Maybe a little PTS for dad. I know I would be replaying that in my head over and over and over.
My son is a skier as well but does not race. I was amazed last year at the size of the new bucket that he needed. 11 year old boy in an adult medium helmet. Bought one of the helmets with a high rating that fit him well. Few dollars more than the others but as mentioned worth it.
Glad that she is OK, Scott and that the care she needs is available.
Who was the manufacturer of the helmet she was wearing?
I see the POC helmets are popular with the racer crowd.

And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Based upon the fact that there were several dents on your daughter's helmet makes me hope the experts at the hospital fully vetted the fact that she had no brain injury via MRI/MRA or any other means that might have been available to them. You may consider follow up's with a neurologist and further tests to fully clear that potential. Not that she is very mobile at the minute, but she should reduce head movement activity for a while as an additional cautionary thought.

Last edited by icemann427; 01-05-2020 at 07:37 AM..
Old 01-05-2020, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Zink Racer

Wow, glad she is ok. I have had my bacon saved by helmets twice mountain biking over the years. The helmet won't prevent concussion per se but blunt force and penetration injuries which it did for her well. Watch closely for concussion symptoms. My step daughter was injured seriously by a van in New York crossing the street. Once her body mostly healed she spent the good part of a year recovering from concussion symptoms that were never diagnosed. The docs were focused on all of the broken bones.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

UB all the best to your young daughter...when she went out of sight "Dad" kicked in!

The advice to make sure her concussion symptoms are tracked is very important.

Heal well, young Lady.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemann427 View Post
Based upon the fact that there were several dents on your daughter's helmet makes me hope the experts at the hospital fully vetted the fact that she had no brain injury via MRI/MRA or any other means that might have been available to them.
This. Get her an MRI ASAP.
The hidden blood clots days/weeks/months later are a real danger.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Wow, that's one harrowing story. I don't usually comment on sick/injured children threads because they freak me out and honestly, I don't know what to say. Sounds like you dodged a bullet, though. I've been skiing since childhood and death or serious injury is always "just a shot away."

Best of luck on a quick recovery.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Glad to hear she will be ok. Hope she mends quickly.
2001 Jetta TDI dead
1982 Chevette Diesel SOLD
Old 01-05-2020, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Glad she's okay. Had to watch as my youngest flipped a 4 wheeler several years ago. Still sends a shiver when I think about how lucky we got. Hope she has a full recovery and gets back on the slopes.
You'll probably play it over and over in your head (I know I did and still do) and I can't tell you how to stop that. Best I can tell you to do is try not to.

Last edited by cabmando; 01-05-2020 at 01:46 PM..
Old 01-05-2020, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Glad to hear that the helmet worked. I’m shopping for a new cycling helmet now.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Glad to hear she’s ok, and I hope the recovery is quick and full. Her first time back on the slopes will be an emotional day for everybody.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
Thanks for everyone’s concern. We will ask again about an MRI when we see the doc on Wednesday.

Her helmet was a K2 kid’s helmet. Her new helmet is a Rossignol Hero Race helmet.

Today she is limping around like nothing happened. I skied that run again today (the knee deep powder was amazing) with a group of parents from the kids’ ski club. The cliff she went over was higher than I remembered but there was pile of powder under it which would have dampened her landing.

She will ski again this year (Doctor allowing) and I’m not going to push her to try anything harder than a blue until she decides she is ready.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

WOW, I am sure it felt an eternity trying to get to her? I'm happy to hear she came through with generally minor injuries and wish her a quick recovery.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

You do not have permissi

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebilly View Post
Thanks for everyone’s concern. We will ask again about an MRI when we see the doc on Wednesday.
Don't ask. Don't be nice.
Demand now!
Now!

This should be standard practice in such cases.
Establish a baseline. Those big expensive machines are there for a very good reason. To give basic information to people.

Blood clots and sudden deaths are common. Even in the youth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed-head_injury have lead to sudden death from blood clotting.
Falls account for 35.2% of brain injuries in the United States

Last edited by john70t; 01-05-2020 at 07:06 PM..
Old 01-05-2020, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Thank her lucky stars. Helmets are absolutely mandatory, in my book.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john70t View Post
Don't ask. Don't be nice.
Demand now!
Now!

This should be standard practice in such cases.
Establish a baseline. Those big expensive machines are there for a very good reason. To give basic information to people.

Blood clots and sudden deaths are common. Even in the youth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed-head_injury have lead to sudden death from blood clotting.
Falls account for 35.2% of brain injuries in the United States
+1. I fell off my tub and hit my head hard on my marble countertop a couple years ago. It rang my bell pretty good and it took a few months to get over the concussion symptoms. Watch out for headaches, dizziness, nausea and sensitivity to light...
14 535i M Sport
Old 01-05-2020, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Lots of snow Porsche away

Garage
I am glad to hear she will come out of it OK, that is a scary day!
79 XS750 because one is just not enough
Old 01-06-2020, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
We had the follow up on Wednesday. The doctors were really pleased with her progress and want her putting weight on the leg again. We decided to return her walker. She is limping but is otherwise doing great. Our next follow up is Feb 12th, at which point I’m hoping she gets the all clear for gymnastics and skiing.

They didn’t entertain the idea of an MRI. We were looking at her old helmet again... it’s really beat up.
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 01-10-2020, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebilly View Post
We had the follow up on Wednesday. The doctors were really pleased with her progress and want her putting weight on the leg again. We decided to return her walker. She is limping but is otherwise doing great.
Thank goodness.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
A sobering story... glad she's ok.

Convinced me to go order a helmet just now... even though I'm a slow skier, you never know what might happen.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Back in HS I did a 'kick-out' off a big jump on the bunny hill.
At dusk. Tired.
It was a "Last run for the day, I promise." sort of thing....when most accidents happen.

Ski tips hooked in the snow and I landed on my front.
Shoulder hurt. Went to the red cross station.
Suzy the nurse completely ignored me, while talking to Betty for half an hour about a party, and then she left unexpectedly.
My buddy eventually drove me to a county hospital in the boonedocks.
About 5-7 hours after injury a "tired" doctor arrived and flung my arm in the arm with a loud snap. "Does this hurt?"

All good. Could have been much worse.
Count our blessings.

Old 01-13-2020, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: