Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My three kids swam competitively, partially for the reasons you listed above.

Glad your precious daughter is ok!

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 01-13-2020, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Years ago when helmets were just showing up for recreational skiers I was in a shop in Florida. My wife and I were looking at hats because she is always cold. The sales guy convinced us to buy helmets because they are so comfortable and warm. Once I wore one I never went without.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

Great news all around!

How prevalent are skiing helmets - I have not been skiing in 15 years and few if any one wore them then. I think it is a great idea, btw, just curious.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
Ski helmets are very popular where we ski. Maybe 5 people out of 500 don’t wear them.
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 01-14-2020, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
I see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
Great news all around!

How prevalent are skiing helmets - I have not been skiing in 15 years and few if any one wore them then. I think it is a great idea, btw, just curious.
Flatbutt II and III both wear them when snow boarding.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 01-14-2020, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebilly View Post
We had the follow up on Wednesday. The doctors were really pleased with her progress and want her putting weight on the leg again. We decided to return her walker. She is limping but is otherwise doing great. Our next follow up is Feb 12th, at which point Iím hoping she gets the all clear for gymnastics and skiing.

They didnít entertain the idea of an MRI. We were looking at her old helmet again... itís really beat up.
This is fantastic news! Thank goodness for her helmet and maybe a little bit of luck and that she's recovering nicely!!
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 01-14-2020, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Reelin' In The Years

Quote:
Ski helmets are very popular where we ski. Maybe 5 people out of 500 donít wear them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
Flatbutt II and III both wear them when snow boarding.
That is great - I had no idea.

I can tell you that I wear my full face motorcycle helmet when I plow snow on my 6x6 Ranger. No cab and the helmet is much better than any hat.

Again, best to your daughter.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
I see you

Da boyz, note FB IIIs noggin

edit: durn the sideways trap

equito ergo sum
Old 01-14-2020, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Ski helmets are very popular where we ski. Maybe 5 people out of 500 don’t wear them.
It is really rare and quite noticeable to see someone on the hill without a helmet on these days.
I bet this number is pretty accurate.
edit:
Durn snowboarders giving us the finger there, flatbutt!
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

I first tried a ski helmet in the mid 90's as a day rental. Man they were awful back then, uncomfortable and cold so I didn't bother.

Fast forward to circa 2012-14ish and we were skiing with some friends. Their eldest son was the best skier in their family so he came with us. After only about an hour he lost control, shot off the side of the run which happens to form a ramp. He did the classic up in the air, ski's over head and fell back to earth on his head. Obviously ski patrol were right on it and they took him down the mountain on a stretcher. Thankfully he was 100% OK after being checked out. I can tell you though, the worst feeling in the world is having to head into the lodge to find your friends and ask them to come to the medical center as their kid, who I was responsible for, had fallen badly. That was the day everyone in my family got ski helmets. The good news is it turns out 20 years of development had turned hard, cold uncomfortable to the point of pain designs into modern, warm supremely comfortable designs that are a joy to wear.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Sonny Bono, Michael Schumacher,
Old 01-14-2020, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

I remember the metal and fibreglass helmets when I raced, cold, heavy, but necessary. Now my helmet is warm, has ear flaps with headphones pass-thru and a GoPro mount.

My how things have changed
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 01-14-2020, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
I thought Micheal was wearing a helmet but it had split after a rock strike?
Old 01-15-2020, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
In a few short weeks we have gone from this:

To this:

On the way to the hill she said she was never skiing again. Once she got to the hill, she put on her gear, did one run on the bunny hill, told my wife it was too boring and came and found me at the timing shack (we had a race this weekend).

She did a couple green runs today and did very well. In 2 weeks, Iím going to let her start her ski training program.
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 01-19-2020, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
I see you

Oh yeah!!

equito ergo sum
Old 01-20-2020, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

That is a truly frightening story! We are all grateful for her helmet and the team who cared for her, including you, your wife, and daughter.
67 912 (sold)
58 Karmann Ghia chopped top (traded for the 912)
Old 01-20-2020, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybek View Post
I thought Micheal was wearing a helmet but it had split after a rock strike?
Schumacher was wearing a helmet at the time of his accident. Unfortunately, helmets are effective in preventing only certain type of injuries. Fortunately helmets are exactly what is needed to protect in accidents like UBís daughter had.

Hereís an article that discusses what helmets can and canít do. https://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/sports/on-slopes-rise-in-helmet-use-but-no-decline-in-brain-injuries.html
Old 01-20-2020, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Nice to see her back on the boards!
Testament to the healing power of the young....
Old 01-20-2020, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM View Post
Schumacher was wearing a helmet at the time of his accident. Unfortunately, helmets are effective in preventing only certain type of injuries. Fortunately helmets are exactly what is needed to protect in accidents like UBís daughter had.

Hereís an article that discusses what helmets can and canít do. https://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/sports/on-slopes-rise-in-helmet-use-but-no-decline-in-brain-injuries.html
I thought I had read that he fell in the rocks in such a way that the go pro mount went through the helmet and into his brain.

I went skiing last year and wore a helmet for the first time. It was great at keeping my head warm.

Old 01-20-2020, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: