Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
aka 'vageen'

Garage
Thank god she’s OK... mostly. Her helmet saved her life.

I posted about this in Look171’s thread.

A week ago, my 6 year old daughter had a huge wreck at the ski hill. She wound up somersaulting and cartwheeling about 650 meters and about 350 meters (vertical drop), hit a rock, and went over a cliff part way down on a double black run.

She started skiing in the Rockies at 18 months old and this run was not too difficult for her. The run is a chute and she got the side of a wind swept icy patch and crossed her skis on her turn and the tumble started.

I may have set a speed record skiing after her trying to catch her. I thought she was going to be a paraplegic or worse yet, dead when I got to her. Instead, she sat up and started crying.

I checked her vitals, and she complained of a sore left bum cheek. She had what looked like raccoon eyes, mostly on the right side so I suspected concussion. We got the ski patrol to take her down the hill the rest of the way in a T-Bog where they checked her out further and warmed her up. Then then they gave her to me - she could walk but it hurt.

I rushed her to the local small town hospital where she got several x-rays, 2 ultrasounds of her internal organs, a cervical collar, and was warmed up again. They found a fractured pelvis but couldn’t properly access brain or spinal damage. They then sent her and my wife via high speed ambulance (140 km/h) to the Alberta Children’s Hospital for work with the Trauma team. That is amazing facility with the most amazing staff.

When my wife and daughter arrived at Children’s a team of 12-15 doctors was waiting for them. Each doctor has their own speciality and would jump in as needed. I arrived only about 15 minutes after the ambulance (they took a dumb route through Calgary).

So we got off pretty lucky. She has some pretty good bruising, the raccoon eye appears to be from her ski goggles (it has turned into a shiner), and a cracked pelvis. After the first 3 days, we haven’t had to give her anything for pain and she is walking with a walker when we go out. At home, she keeps weight off her left leg.

Her helmet had several dents in the top including a deep sharp dent, likely from the rock she hit that would have resulted in a very serious head injury if not for the helmet.

I spent several days thinking about the activities that my kids do: skiing, dirt biking, kart racing, quading, etc. I was wondering if maybe we should take up activities with less risk... I believe strongly that kids need mitigated risk in their lives. Video games and soccer don’t give them this. I came to the conclusion that I’m not going to push as hard and am going to continue to insist on the best safety gear for my kids (and me). I have since ordered AEXOS HALO shirts for the kids and one for me.

We meet the orthopaedic surgeon again on January 8th and he will assess her healing progress. This will determine when she starts skiing again. It’s a shame because her program starts tomorrow. We are so lucky that her guardian angel saved her from getting hurt far worse than she was. This could / should have been far worse than it is.

We are fortunate.

If you or your kids ski or do any high risk activities, make sure you have an appropriate high quality and proper fitting helmet. It made a big difference for my little girl.

Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 01-04-2020, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Wow... I cant imagine the thought processes.

I want my kids to put it out there, but the consequences are sure hard to cope with when it goes sideways. Best of luck on it!

2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
2010 Harley “48”
2013 Honda 250 CRF
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 01-04-2020, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Glad she is ok. It had to have been tough on all of you.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I hated wearing a helmet as a kid, thought they looked stupid and got in the way. My dad said "I don't give a crap what you want, and when you're a dad, you'll understand"

I am a dad and certainly understand now. My son wears a helmet and I don't give a crap what he thinks about😁

Glad it was just some bumps and bruises for the most part. Hopefully she will be back out there soon!
Old 01-04-2020, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I’m so glad she avoided a life changing injury. Sounds like she’ll be back to normal in no time. Very scary though.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
JOT MON ABBR OTH

Wow! So very glad she is basically OK! Remember, get her a new helmet and safety gear, just a nice reminder in case you have not already done it.
I don't take scalps. I'm civilized like white man now, I shoot man in back.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

aka 'vageen'

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groesbeck Hurricane View Post
Wow! So very glad she is basically OK! Remember, get her a new helmet and safety gear, just a nice reminder in case you have not already done it.
I ordered her a new race helmet on Boxing Day. We still don’t have it yet but her old helmet is now nothing but a souvenir of a really bad day. Also, one of her bindings didn’t ‘pop’. I can’t recall if this was the ski on the left or right side.
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 01-04-2020, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Heck of a story. Awesome that your little girl survived this. I hope that it will become a cool story when she gets older with no long term problems.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
gduke2010

Garage
Thank God for helmets, glad your girl will be OK. Sounds like she is amazing. I’ve been skiing for a long time and still get butterflies looking down at chutes.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Driver, not Mechanic

You wonder if they should take up less risky activities. You know they are your kids, so if you feel these activities are fine, then go ahead. Just take precautions as necessary, as well as the requisite lessons in safety...
Old 01-04-2020, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Very very happy for you and your family. That sounds just awful.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Glad to hear your daughter is up and walking. That is a terrifying experience.
Gone but not forgotten: 2003 R1100s BCR, 77 R100s, 09 S63 AMG, 74 911, 88 R100RS, 78 930, 01 996 C4, 05 Cayenne, 09 Audi TT, 03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans, 07 WRX STI, 03 R1150GSA, 78 R100/7, 01 Audi S4, 98 Audi A4, 98 R1200c, 78 GL1000, 92 Accord coupe, 89 KE100
Old 01-04-2020, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Wow! Glad to hear she is on the mend! I know people love them, but stay away from those Go Pro type cameras that mount to the helmet.
14 535i M Sport
Old 01-04-2020, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Glad it worked out (mostly) ok and here’s hoping she recovers fully and quickly and keeps on skiing. Kids are amazingly resilient! Keep that helmet! Some good lessons there!
Old 01-04-2020, 11:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to petrolhead611
So glad that your daughter survived relatively unscathed that horrendous fall.
Agree completly about appropriate safety clothing.My daughter refused to wear a back brace when horseback riding through our local woods, so that ended her horse riding. Same thing happened as she progressed through the belts of Kick-boxing- refused to wear frontal body armour so that ended that sport for her .
Vindicator Vulcan V8 spyder, street legal sports racing car
(300hp,1400 lbs kerb weight) used for sprints on circuits, and hillclimbs
Old 01-05-2020, 12:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
I see you

I know the feeling UB, so glad she's all right.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 01-05-2020, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Whew....

Glad your little girl is OK Uncle B!
Old 01-05-2020, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

It's rather like riding a motorcycle with the same thought process....dress for the fall, not the ride !

So glad to hear she will be OK, I wonder if she will want to try that run again anytime soon ?
Old 01-05-2020, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Whew!........... scary story.......... anyone who is a father had to be in major pucker factor reading it and cold sweats remembering it.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I had a terrible crash skiing in my early twenties. Blew the bindings off both skis and broke one ski in half. I broke several ribs and wrenched my back terribly. After I recovered it took a long time to be an aggressive skier again. Glad your daughter didn’t get hurt worse then she did. She will get back out there but she might be a little timid for a while.

Old 01-05-2020, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: