Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil Extractor Pump - Recommendations?

This jacking up the car and shoving a basin under the oil pan is getting old (like me).

For you guys using an extractor pump, what do you recommend?

Yasin

Old 01-06-2020, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

I get it but you're really not getting all the oil and contaminants out with a siphon pump....
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 01-06-2020, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltgambler View Post
I get it but you're really not getting all the oil and contaminants out with a siphon pump....
Exactly why I would never use one.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

I have the Motive extractor. It works well enough but is SLOW. I only use it on my boat because it doesn’t have a drain plug.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

My lawnmower and snowblower both lack drain plugs. I've used some cheap pumps from Walmart, but I'd rather use something more "automatic" that lasts past one use.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 01-06-2020, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have the west marine powered one. I'm not a big fan of it. The seal isn't that great and needs to be taped, and it leaks if not kept upright.

It worked fine on ny '13 TDI jetta for 120k miles until VW bought it back during dieselgate.

In general I also prefer to dump from the bottom just to see what all is coming out.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
This jacking up the car and shoving a basin under the oil pan is getting old (like me).

For you guys using an extractor pump, what do you recommend?

Yasin
Make yourself some wood ramps and install a Fumoto drain valve in place of the plug . Drive car up on ramp , slide under with drain pan , do the quarter turn on the valve slide back out and let it drain . When done draining slide back under , turn valve a quarter turn your now ready to replace the oil filter .
Old 01-06-2020, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

+1 on the Fumoto drain valve. I have one on my wife's car, my truck, bike, and Porsche (tank).
Old 01-06-2020, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
I have the Motive extractor. It works well enough but is SLOW. I only use it on my boat because it doesn’t have a drain plug.
Same. If oil is hot, extractor works much better.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I've always been pessimistic about them. Then, I did my first oil change on wife's Q7 (we had the maintenance plan by Audi until recently). Got really sick of my independent mechanic. Mainly because he charged me $125 when my wife asked him to fill up the DEF (It's a TDi). Then, the next time, I pre-empted it by putting DEF in prior to the oil change. He still found a way to put a gallon in. So - I use him only when I need him.

....back to the point - What a royal PITA to dump the oil out of that thing. The front underpan won't come off - so you basically dump the oil onto the back 3" or so, and let that run into your catch pan. Then the stupid thing drips on the garage floor for a few days. Kind of like the first time the independent guy did it.
All that, and the oil filter is an 'element only' type deal that you get out from the top.
Therefore - oil extractor for me on that vehicle from now on.
Oh, and my Subaru 3.6R has nearly as miserable of an undergrad, too. Unfortunately, I still need to get down there to get to the filter.

Figure I'll be changing the oil more frequently than the 10k mile dealer recommendation - so pulling it out the tube doesn't sound all that horrible.

That's my rationale.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I used the Motive on my wife’s Benz years ago. It did ok but took awhile. Much better than lifting the car and removing the shields below. The filter was a breeze because it was right in front at the top.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Kent did a short series on these and he likes them. I haven't bought one and to be honest I don't plan to.

Ramps, Wrench, Pan... That's it.

If I was a pro doing this for a living then yes but it would be the commercial powered version.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I have a little 12v pump that I use on my Benz to extract the oil from the top. The car is low and ramps actually make it harder to get the oil out of the sump. It does get all the oil out but takes 30 minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/Transfer-Extractor-Diesel-Electric-Motorbike/dp/B01KZIFZVK/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?keywords=12v+oil+extraction+pump&qid=1578381767&sprefix=12v+oil&sr=8-7
Old 01-06-2020, 11:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I have a Topside oil changer made by Mity Vac. I use it on my X5, but can't use it on my other BMWs because they don't have dipsticks.
14 535i M Sport
Old 01-06-2020, 11:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I was a little hesitant about the Fumoto valve myself but online reviews were great so I installed one on my Duramax diesel . I have had it on there for years with zero issues , no leaks and works great . One of the nice features is you can install some hose onto the nipple and basically " aim " where the old hot oil is draining . So for cars that have pesky under trays or cross members in the way it is no longer an issue . Also when doing oil sampling I open the valve , let it drain for 10 seconds , close it , get my sample bottle and open/fill . Clean and easy . As extra insurance I put zip ties across the handle just in case anything was to hit it . They may not be for everybody or every engine due to constraints/ground clearance etc. but I really like mine .
Old 01-07-2020, 02:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Interesting range of response from "yay" to "nay"...so I'll definitely give this further thought. Seems like so many DIY guys are trending towards these extractor pumps.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I use this air pump to suck the oil out of my Mercedes W123 motors, as the dipstick tube is lower than the drain plug. I put the hose over the top of the tube and it will pull all the oil out of the motor in about 45 sec.! No more crawling under the cars for me. I will have to make a tube to fit on it, for other motors, but for the W123 cars its the best thing since sliced bread!

73'& 80' Mercedes Unimog DoKa
59' Austin Healey 100-6
Old 01-07-2020, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Use the Mity-vac extractor as well. BMW e46 thru dipstick. Every other is thru the drain plug.
Drive the car and get it up to operating temp, pulls out pretty fast.

Also used on the 993. How ?? Sucking out the old powersteering fluid when changing. Also I might have overfilled the oil..once or twice. Able to suck out a little after getting the car hot. Like to keep that car on the bottom third of the dipstick.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I use the Pela oil extractor for my VW TDI

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-24397-Liter-Evacuator-Dispenser/dp/B01BW393E2/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=..08ip46jjZXgQwXi9orjA&hsa_cr_id=6359273290501&ref_=sb_s_sparkle_slot

05 Jetta GLI
Old 01-08-2020, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: