Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
911 pinewood derby car

For those Porsche owners who have or had kids in cub scouts, I thought I would share my pinewood derby 911 carrera build that I just did. Today was race day and we did quite well....finishing 2nd place overall for the entire pack and first place for our den, as well as best design. Enjoy the pics!

Old 01-11-2020, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Nice!

To get second you did all that crazy nail polishing stuff that "the kids do".

I finished, I mean my son finished, second place as well in the way back.

Awesome job on the shape/design.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Well done. Must have been the German aero dynamics works on derby cars also.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

I see that is a coupe and not a Targuuuuuuhhhhhh - wise decision!!!

Oh, and being that it is a Turbo, next time install a manual boost controller and bump up the pressure for the overall win!!!

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 01-11-2020 at 07:27 PM..
Old 01-11-2020, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
John W

Nice job. How many hours did that take?
Old 01-11-2020, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Steve

Garage
Very cool and unique, and i have seen thousands of PWD cars
Old 01-12-2020, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I see a theme here....

Built this one with my daughter for the "siblings" class a few years ago...

Put more work into my son's car to make sure it went fast.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Garage
Here's my daughter's effort...
'02 Ducati Monster 900ie
Old 01-13-2020, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I love it, Allen!
She did great.

OP / “Quincydog” - that’s an awesome job. Love the headlights and fender shaping. Glad you had a great experience. Scouting is a wonderful way for kids to get some experience with something besides a keyboard and a screen. Hope your kid(s) go far and do well!!!
Old 01-13-2020, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Eva

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonics View Post
Here's my daughter's effort...
Built the daughter a Briggs Cunningham?

Does it have a HEMI??

"The car has been the cave wall on which Industrial Man has painted his longings and desires." -Eddie Alterman-
Old 01-14-2020, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Little tip for next go around if there is one. Buy balsa wood. Cut the pine block down to about 1/4 thick, recess the bottom of the balsa to fit the pine block then form the balsa and add weight.

I'll see if I can post pics of the F250 and 911 my son and I did. Something else, buy tungsten putty for weight.

Last edited by cabmando; 01-14-2020 at 08:10 AM..
Old 01-14-2020, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Here's a 962 I made for the parent's class the last year my son was in cub scouts. Its made from 2 pinewood derby kits with 1 block cut in half and glued to the sides of the main block to make the full width body.

The first year my son was in cub scouts, I made a car and I made my wife a car to compete with. Since we're near NASA, the parent's class is really competitive with every engineer dad trying to out do the others. My car was a dragster that was fast but more for fun while my wife's was a slim go fast machine. My wife won. The pinewood derby chairman came up to me afterwards, congratulated my wife on her win and then told me the winner of parent's class is next year's chairman and since I obviously built her car, I was now chairman. Oops!

P.S. we used tungsten for our weights so we could get the weight as far back as possible. On my first year dragster, it did wheelies down the track because the weight was so far back.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

My son built on (Wink, wink) that he put arches around the tires.

We ended up using another one for speed. Made it to the finals. The father of the other kid we were racing put the two cars on the track for the finale. Not sure why but our car was suddenly really slow. I mean really, really slow.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Here's the fleet. The "Cup" car and the "Indy" car are the only ones made all from pine. After we made the Cup car we figured out how painful it was to shape pine. That's when I can up with the idea of making a balsa wood "skin" and cutting the block down so we were still using the original block for axle spacing.
A dremel with a pencil wand adapter is EXTREMELY useful when shaping either pine or balsa and it's easy for your kid to control. The nice thing about the balsa is, if they mess up, you just put some bondo on where the mistakes are and hand sand. The balsa is so light you'll still end up adding weight.

The year we built the F250, we had the "Cup" car strapped down to the detachable gooseneck trailer. We had to point out that it was the truck that would be racing. The trailer with they previous year's car was strictly for the best in show award... which we lost to a fliggin flaggin kit car.

Last edited by cabmando; 01-14-2020 at 08:54 AM..
Old 01-14-2020, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: