Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Thread Killer

My brother calls it “drawing mud.” I learned that while he was riding in my car.

Old 01-16-2020, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
My cousin who is younger than me has this condition were he suddenly needs to go and there's no stopping it.

He suddenly jumps up and runs to the toilet. Sometimes he doesn't make it in time. (He wears a nappy 24/7)
Various doctors have told him there's nothing they can do for him... Damn scary.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

A friend suffered from something like that, except his happened at night while sleeping. His doc didn't offer much good news. He took a few meds, one of which was for depression. He'd taken it for a couple of decades. He happened to wonder if it could be a long term effect and stopped (tapered off) taking it. His problem immediately went away. I don't know what or if he takes anything different now. It's odd how some meds can have side effects like that.
His doc referred to it as "incontinence of feces."

Last edited by Evans, Marv; 01-16-2020 at 09:04 PM..
Old 01-16-2020, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
I'd just keep one of these in the bed of the truck. Pull behind the local Walgreens and take care of biz...
The Bumper Dumper | " The Original Hitch Mountable Portable Toilet "

"He's got one foot in the frying pan and one in the pressure cooker. Believe me, as a bowler, I know that right about now, your bladder feels like an overstuffed vacuum cleaner bag and your butt is kinda like an about-to-explode bratwurst." - Ernie McCracken
Old 01-16-2020, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
1988 Carrera

Garage
Back in the early 70's I drove from L.A. to NOLA. I think I only took a leak twice. Now I stop at every welcome station along the way. Never pass up a chance to take a wizz.
72'914 gone
72' 914 gone too
Old 01-17-2020, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

^^^^ LOL....the 70s...college "road trips".... I think we had to stop for a whiz every 20-30 minutes or so

....once the "seal" was broken.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
OK, so you guys have finally gotten into my wheelhouse.

Incontinence is no laughing matter - and fortunately, the issue is becoming more socially accepted (meaning that people are willing to discuss, advertise products and share info).
Yes, there are plenty of ads on television - and many of those are concentrated on urinary incontinence. Dealing with fecal incontinence is a little different, and depending on the severity - may require different products to support going out in public.

Not a particularly funny situation when a guy is in front of you at the hardware store, and despite obviously wearing a diaper - he’s having a hard time managing / containing a problem. Been there. Seen that. It’s really pretty sad. Can you imagine worrying about that, along with your typical daily routine? I’ve seen men in the airport who clearly couldn’t wait and had a bladder full in their chinos. I don’t think there’s much that could be worse from a social stigma perspective.

To help cope with and find the best care available, I can offer a few references. Of course, your primary physician is a good place to start also - and a person may need to get together with a urologist or gastroenterologist. Be aware that not all, even within those specialties are best equipped to support the daily struggles with incontinence - particularly when you’re struggling with fecal Inco.

A good resource is the NAFC - National Association for Continence. www.nafc.org
These guys get into everything from ob/gyn related causes to full-on fecal incontinence. They try to address clinical aspects in addition to just what product to use.

Other resources include manufacturers and distributors of products. Because these are used in a clinical situation in many cases - there is a ton of info out there online, and much of it is accessible to users. You just need to know where to look. Most info is oriented toward purchasers, and that drives the training info for caregivers. The field is quite competitive, and that means lots of info is published.

In no particular order, and with no allegiance to any specific supplier, here are some places to start:
www.medline.com/category/incontinence. Note: Look under “clinical expertise” and you will find links that take you to educational resources.

Www.firstquality.com. Go to their “what we make” area under adult Inco.

Www.attends.com. Similar setup to the others listed here.

Www.tranquilityproducts.com. These guys make some really high capacity (overnight) products. Again, lots of info available on their site.

Www.hdis.com. The previous sites listed were manufacturers’ sites. HDIS is a home care dealer, and they carry lots of products from many different manufacturers.
Please don’t let your friend limit himself to products found on the retail shelf in drug stores or big box stores. That is a growing segment, but the healthcare world offers many additional and better options.

Finally -
If you buy on amazon, a dealer site, or the like - realize that you are spending top $$$. Everybody who touches these products takes a nice cut. Dealers are charging many times more than the cost of product as it leaves the factory. Anytime you can purchase “direct”, you are saving money.
Bag count and case count vary widely by product size and type. So pay attention to what product you need, make sure you get the right size (that’s really important for containment), and then look at the “per product” cost. These things add up for somebody who needs them daily.

Note that the “depend” type product (adult pull-ups) is oriented primarily toward urinary Inco. For heavier cases of urinary Inco and fecal Inco - you may be looking at a “brief” style product. These are not as appealing to marketers and advertisers - so please make sure to do your homeowrk.

And one more point about the websites listed here - many of them will send out sample packs for the customer to confirm sizing. There are no (good) standards for size, so a Large in one manufacturer could be a Medium in another manufacturer’s product.

Hope this is of some help to your friend or any others on the board here.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
I see you

My spinal damage did that to me. There's virtually no warning before it hits. Over the years I've learned what to eat and when. This far out from the accident I've "trained" my bowel to go at around the same time every morning. Early morning appointments are not a part of my life but there are times they are unavoidable. Then I must plan my meals the day before. It is not at all convenient, can be humiliating but it is what it is.

Then there are the catheters!

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 01-17-2020, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
I had no idea this was such a common, widespread thing. I was hesitant to bring it up, but now I'm glad I did. It's clear my friend isn't such an unusual case, and I'll have a different attitude about it when we do meet up.
When I count my blessings tonight this one will be at the top of the list.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
My spinal damage did that to me. There's virtually no warning before it hits. Over the years I've learned what to eat and when. This far out from the accident I've "trained" my bowel to go at around the same time every morning. Early morning appointments are not a part of my life but there are times they are unavoidable. Then I must plan my meals the day before. It is not at all convenient, can be humiliating but it is what it is.

Then there are the catheters!

Happiest day of my life was two days before discharge from rehab for my sci when suddenly I could pee. I had learned to self cath but the idea of traveling with supplies sucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 01-17-2020, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
I see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglepore View Post
Happiest day of my life was two days before discharge from rehab for my sci when suddenly I could pee. I had learned to self cath but the idea of traveling with supplies sucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah Greg, trying to use a catheter in a public toilet is fraught with infection sources.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 01-17-2020, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
I feel for you guys and dread the day when issues like this appear. It sounds dreadful.

Not to make light of it in any way but since we're on this touchy subject already, a question returned to me yesterday that I don't want to start a new thread on but I know you guys have the answer: I've never really camped outside in my life and was wondering if the most ecologically responsible thing to do when schitting in the woods is to bury it? How deep?

Or just leave it on earth's surface, like every other animal? Serious question. Thanks.

P.S. I was never a Boy Scout or I would probably know this already.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
I feel for you guys and dread the day when issues like this appear. It sounds dreadful.

Not to make light of it in any way but since we're on this touchy subject already, a question returned to me yesterday that I don't want to start a new thread on but I know you guys have the answer: I've never really camped outside in my life and was wondering if the most ecologically responsible thing to do when schitting in the woods is to bury it? How deep?

Or just leave it on earth's surface, like every other animal? Serious question. Thanks.

P.S. I was never a Boy Scout or I would probably know this already.
If you don't bury it at least cover it with rocks. And if you come upon a pile of rocks don't move them!

"He's got one foot in the frying pan and one in the pressure cooker. Believe me, as a bowler, I know that right about now, your bladder feels like an overstuffed vacuum cleaner bag and your butt is kinda like an about-to-explode bratwurst." - Ernie McCracken
Old 01-17-2020, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

I have a lot of time in the woods camping. I was going to type a response and then did a quick search. This is the best advice:

http://www.camping-expert.com/how-to-****-in-the-woods.html

The article covers the entire SITW universe. I learned a few new tricks

Last edited by Seahawk; 01-17-2020 at 10:05 AM..
Old 01-17-2020, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
GI issues are a serious problem for many people. I once worked with a guy who had problems since childhood. He told me "Having problems with your digestive system is probably the rudest thing that can happen to you!".

He told me of going in for some type of surgery. They had the operating table configured to where he was pretty much in the "Stinkbug" position. The nurse then proceeded to place some strong surgical tape to each butt cheek and attach it to the underside of the table.

There he was, butt cheeks spread wide while the nurses prepped the room for his surgery. He said he had never been so embarrassed in his life.

Old 01-17-2020, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Freaked me out a few years ago when I found out that a L5/S1 herniated disc could cause that. When I'd go see the doc he'd ask if I was having any problems with BM's. I finally asked him "Why the hell do you keep asking me that?". He explained herniated disc in the lower back like I have can cause problems with incontinence and I said FIX IT!!
Old 01-17-2020, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Diabetes can also be the source of this. Once the Vagas nerve is affected by the disease it can cause either constipation, like for weeks, or the opposite as what has been talked about here.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Tmi
Old 01-17-2020, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

So you guys $h!t your pants with REGULAR poo?

I thought that only happened when your ass was percolating butt coffee..
Old 01-17-2020, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Two words...Taco Bell.

1969 911T Coupe
1972 911E Targa
Old 01-17-2020, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: