Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
This puzzles me. Did you do the LED tube replacement or the entire fixture swap?
My fixture replacements fire right up in freezing weather with no discernible dimming.
Just changed the tubes for me. I didn't even need to replace/remove the ballast.

Old 01-18-2020, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I did my whole shop about 3 years ago. I paid a company to do it, it was a ton of money, but they structured it so that the amount you saved on your electric bill , was your payment every month . Basically free to me.
I used to have 6 8x2 footers, and at least 20 4x4 footers . They were all old and ugly too !
Cut my bill in half, and my shop is 4 x brighter . I have not had one burn out yet. In the past, about twice a year, I had to go purchase a case of bulbs, and get the big ladder out and replace 10 or so bulbs, and the occasional ballast .
And, yes, just wire them straight to 120v, cut the ballast out of the equation .
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 01-18-2020, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
My natural tendency to be cheap and lazy led to an install of halogen work lights - about 6-8 of them scattered around up high (my natural tendency to be cheap and lazy means I ain't gonna run out and count).

as they bulbs burn out, I'll stick LEDs in there
Old 01-18-2020, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocaholic View Post
Wait a minute....are you saying I can simply remove my 4’ fluorescent tubes and install LED versions? Someone above mentioned “wiring around ballasts”. Can you be just a bit more specific?
You just remove the ballasts from the circuit. The bulbs I bought at Menards had complete instructions. I think I had to swap some wires so it was positive on one end and negative on the other. It was simple to do though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
Just changed the tubes for me. I didn't even need to replace/remove the ballast.
Right, there are LED's that can be installed without wiring around the ballast. My concern was that if the ballast went bad I'd be in the same position I was with the fluorescent bulbs, flickering and no lighting.

Last edited by cabmando; 01-18-2020 at 01:16 PM..
Old 01-18-2020, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
8' two tubes. I could perform surgery in here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 01-18-2020, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Grip It & Rip It

my building has 6 x 2 T8's in the garage that i wired out the ballasts and put in motion sensor leds that go from 1/4 to full with motion. The lighting bill when down about 75%.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
I'm using 4 x of these in my office. Work great. Big fan. Going to install in garage next.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
FYI: another DIY video that might help.....

It just dawned on me I have fluorescent fixtures in my living room that I hardly use - they are behind curtain valences up high above my picture window and patio door. They have always been stubborn to use. This conversion would be a fantastic upgrade for them. Woot!
Old 01-18-2020, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
I have to revise my last comment about the lights in my living room. After looking at them while lit - it's obvious they are meant to give an effect of light bouncing off both the ceiling and wall and with the LED's only sending light in one direction I don't think I'd have the same effect. I guess this is what is considered indirect lighting. Maybe they would but probably not to the same extent. Will have to give more thought.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Here's what I was talking about.

Looks pretty cool with the indirect lighting.

BTW....on this side of the room I have a both a warm white and a cool white bulb. Just turned out that way. The other side has both cool. For this application (my living room), I prefer the warm white. For the garage it would be the cool white.

Old 01-19-2020, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Depending on the model of the LED Tube, you may not have to remove the ballast or rewire.
Transformers (ballasts) are very lossy (inefficient)

The whole reason to move to LED is efficiency.

Seems crazy to not bypass the ballast and us 120v LEDs
Old 01-19-2020, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
What?!?!

Garage
I love it when the DIY guy is missing part of a finger.
Clearly, he has real world experience.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Wildman Emeritus

Installed a 5000 Lumen screw in to replace the main light in the garage. What a difference! I am afraid to look directly at it as I wish to retain my vision
When it warms a bit, I will move the 911 outside, gain access to my 2 4" fixtures and replace the fluorescent tubes with LED's.

Very useful thread and timely as WERK I had just sent me a photo of his car bathed in blinding light and it had caught my interest.
2018 BMW X1- Wife's
2000 Boxter - Sold
Old 01-20-2020, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
I'm in the process of installing 16 4' single tube LED fixtures I bought on Amazon, 8 per pack for under $60.00 per pack. I have 6 up and my wife said it looks like a surgery suite. It seemed all my fluorescent bulbs started to fail at once so the time to do this was right.

I also have the interior of the garage (walls and ceiling) painted in bright white gloss latex enamel. It is reflective and cleans great!

Pics to follow as soon as I'm finished installing.
2014 VW CC 2.0T
2017 VW Tiguan
Old 01-20-2020, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

I ordered a couple of these, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XB7L2JY/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I like the shape of the lighting area and the downward light, should be no holes.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Evil Genius

Garage
I'll buy straight from china.

https://www.banggood.com/search/shop-garage-led-light.html?from=nav

Wag more, bark less.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

So I have 110 fixtures / dual 8' tubes with dual pin contacts. Home Depot did not have this style in stock. Looks like I'll need to go online.
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 01-23-2020, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltgambler View Post
So I have 110 fixtures / dual 8' tubes with dual pin contacts. Home Depot did not have this style in stock. Looks like I'll need to go online.
8' tubes in LED will often be too flexible and sag in the middle. get out the craft wire. ..
Old 01-23-2020, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Quote:
Depending on the model of the LED Tube, you may not have to remove the ballast or rewire.
Direct Replacement (= stick it in just like normal bulb)
vs
Ballast Bypass (=bypass ballast and wire directly to the tombstones on the end)

Make sure you read the box.

I got both kinds and I'm returning both:
1. Feit 24" direct replacement.
The store didn't carry any warm white LED fixtures which are direct-wire.
It was a nice warm light, but there is still vibration on the bulb and buzzing from the old ballast.
Bulb was $10. New ballast would be $10-30 and probably hum also.
Might as well buy an entirly new LED fixture.

2. Feit 4' ballast bypass.
These have wires attached to the bulbs instead, and flimsy plastic push connectors which are 1-use.
Once it's rewired..only Feit replacement bulbs will work in the future.
A sneaky little proprietary hardware trick.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Okay, I'm now under conclusion that the Feit brand is garbage.

Instead of their ballast bypass with funky proprietary attachment...I tried their direct replacement for the kitchen overhead.
They blinked and went out. Both ways.
The ballast runs the normal florescent bulbs fine.

And I just remembered the same thing happened many years ago with shop lights when the LED thing was new.

Strike three trip back to the store.
Again. Sigh.

Old 01-23-2020, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: