Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What a crappy car day .

Im recovering now, but I was stressed . Sold our M3. On the way to the notary, (snowy icy messy Pa day) the oil light comes on on our Denali . Im panicked . I pull over shut it off , check oil, look for obvious leaks and then would re start . The pressure would shoot up to normal, then go right to zero . I could not hear any lifters clattering, and no knocking, so I drove it home about 10 miles with the NO OIL PRESSURE! TURN OFF ENGINE! messaging flashing, and the chime gonging the whole way . I would stop every mile or so, to make sure the engine was still quiet, and healthy sounding . All of this, with the buyer of the M3 in the passenger seat .
I am aware of some engine oiling problems on the 6.2, and I was stressed as hell because , I have no time to mess with it right now .My plate is full .
The Denali is Wifeys, We get back to the shop, and I tell her to just take the Cayenne home. Flippin' battery is dead . My stress level is up now ,. I jump it , let it warm up for a minute. We load the car seat in, get the kid in , and my wife tries to open the drivers window while it is still frozen over . You guessed it , breaks the regulator ., now, before I can even get the Denali in the shop to figure out how bad life has just screwed me over, I have to try to get her window back up out side in the sleeting, snowing mess of a Pa day . She was pretty stressed also at this point.
She could tell, my mental health was deteriorating fast. She told me she loved me and went home.
It was one of those days, I had to take 10 minutes and kind of reel myself back in for a few minutes before I could even concentrate on the surprise task at hand
Anyhow, I got lucky , Denali was only a faulty oil pressure sending unit . I replaced that, changed the oil, and we just drove it 75 miles tonight with normal oil pressure .
Cayenne Window regulators are pretty cheap, and not that bad to do , so I guess all said and done , my day was not catastrophic, but damn !
I am going to finish priming up my spare room remodel, pour a stiff drink and go to bed, and I don't normally drink .
At least my coffee maker did not explode ! Ever have one of those days when everything goes wrong ?

1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 01-18-2020, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

And maybe crank some 12 bar blues on that stratocaster?
Old 01-18-2020, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
At least the M3 buyer hung in there on that deal.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Along the same level, while eating breakfast this morning, I looked out to see my neighbor backing up his driveway and hit tree stump right on the edge of his driveway and street.
He got out and I could tell he was already pissed. He goes to slam his car door and slipped on some mud he was standing on and fell into said mud.

I felt bad but also almost in tears from laughing
Old 01-18-2020, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I say phew.

You may have lost some hair over it but at least it was only the pressure switch. You got off lightly. I bet you enjoyed that drink.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfredracing View Post
and my wife tries to open the drivers window while it is still frozen over . You guessed it , breaks the regulator
I did guess it. My old RAV4 was encased in a tomb of ice this morning just a wee bit west of you.

So jacked my wipers up to where they were flapping three inches off the windshield.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Ever have one of those days when everything goes wrong ?
Yes, but I don't handle them as well as you do.
I tend to go to the stiff drink earlier in the process these days.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Could be worse...could be a follow on to the incontinence thread.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavulon View Post
Think we might have a winner here, folks....
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Today is one of them.
14 535i M Sport
Old 01-19-2020, 01:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Run smooth, run fast

Old 01-19-2020, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavulon View Post
Brother that was outstanding! Bravo!
Old 01-19-2020, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Kantry Member

That's the trouble : when stuff happens when you are trying to get something else done. You're not prepared and the stress levels can go unnaturally high in seconds. If it was just the one thing, you would just swear or shrug and get on with it. It certainly didn't help your savoir faire to have your customer for the M car sitting next to you, watching your day go to sheiss.

Best
Les
Old 01-19-2020, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

She left a week ago in our Acura TL for Chicago, 1200 miles. No issues until she was supposed to be half way home, but hadn't left Chicago. They had one more thing to do, and then it was splitsville.

The car is packed, but while running the one last errand, the car had a ball joint or tie rod failure at 35mph which sends her into a parked vehicle.

Everyone is ok, and I'm thankful that it happened when it did, and where it did instead of in the middle of nowhere Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, at 70+mph.

She is a complete mess. Her visit was to see her little sister, who has stage 4 cancer (6 months at best) for what probably is the last time. Then throw in a wreck.

Today, she and her sister fly home at an outrageously expensive ticket price, but they are coming home.

The car will get fixed, it all worked out just fine, except her sister. I will fly to Chicago in a few weeks, pay the shop and drive home.

She melted, I had to keep calm, and go through the progressions, but I was a complete wreck as well.

Last edited by mattdavis11; 01-19-2020 at 06:02 AM..
Old 01-19-2020, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
I see you

Hey Fred, imagine how you'd feel if you had to pay someone to fix that for you. Hang in there bro.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 01-19-2020, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdavis11 View Post
She left a week ago in our Acura TL for Chicago, 1200 miles. No issues until she was supposed to be half way home, but hadn't left Chicago. They had one more thing to do, and then it was splitsville.

The car is packed, but while running the one last errand, the car had a ball joint or tie rod failure at 35mph which sends her into a parked vehicle.

Everyone is ok, and I'm thankful that it happened when it did, and where it did instead of in the middle of nowhere Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, at 70+mph.

She is a complete mess. Her visit was to see her little sister, who has stage 4 cancer (6 months at best) for what probably is the last time. Then throw in a wreck.

Today, she and her sister fly home at an outrageously expensive ticket price, but they are coming home.

The car will get fixed, it all worked out just fine, except her sister. I will fly to Chicago in a few weeks, pay the shop and drive home.

She melted, I had to keep calm, and go through the progressions, but I was a complete wreck as well.
So sorry to hear this, all the way around. In the movie, "Ordinary People," there is a great line; "sometimes life doesn't tickle..."

And it seems like a lot of those times are in the winter. Here's to a warm spring and sunny summer for your family.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
I was finishing up some driveway pressure washing yesterday late afternoon when I hear someone's voice - loud voice.

I look behind me and there's this guy walking down the sidewalk (which is thankfully on the other side of the road) screaming into his phone as he walked along "You broke my heart....you broke my heart....(cuss word cuss word).......you broke my heart!"

Sorta puts things into perspective......
Old 01-19-2020, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
I was finishing up some driveway pressure washing yesterday late afternoon when I hear someone's voice - loud voice.

I look behind me and there's this guy walking down the sidewalk (which is thankfully on the other side of the road) screaming into his phone as he walked along "You broke my heart....you broke my heart....(cuss word cuss word).......you broke my heart!"

Sorta puts things into perspective......
Maybe he had bought a reasonably priced Ferrari?
Old 01-19-2020, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Fred, I swear we are related. A week or so ago I have a car in the shop blocking the lift. My DD gets a nail in the tire. No sweat, I have another car. Truck battery is dead. Honda needs brakes.

Nothing that cant be worked around but &^%#%&, didnt need the hassle that day.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:

...before I can even get the Denali in the shop to figure out how bad life has just screwed me over,

= = = = = =
Whoa, Fred and everyone else reading this thread and thinking about your bad day, BE VERY CAREFUL! Language is important and this stuff is toxic.

Psychology tells us that anything that moves us towards our goals makes us feel good,
and that anything that gets in the way of our goals makes us feel bad.

You got to change your mindset and your language on this stuff or you may find yourself in a very deep pit if you get hit with a few more setbacks after setbacks.

I did. It wasn't pretty.

Since then, I have learned to reframe absolutely every negative event.
and now, nothing bad ever happens to me.

= = = = =EXAMPLE for FRED= = = =
Hey guys, you won't believe this.

I just sold our M3 to a guy. Can you believe my luck?
I enjoyed the car but now it is time to move on and I was lucky enough to find a happy buyer and I have money in the bank!

You'll never believe what happened next!
I'm the luckiest SOB in the world.

My Denali dropped to 0 oil pressure but I still made it home!
Next, the window regulator on the cayenne broke right in the driveway. Can you imagine if it was on a road trip, had to park it that way overnight and all our stuff got stolen? I thrive on preventative maintenance.

But that's not all! Next I discovered that the Denali engine was fine. It was just a sensor.

I'm the luckiest SOB in the world.

I hope your days are as good as mine!
All the best to everyone
signed Fred.
(Wayner)

My 73RSR build http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/893954-saving-73-crusher-again.html

Last edited by wayner; 01-19-2020 at 12:17 PM..
Old 01-19-2020, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: