Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I see you

Cardiac stress test cost

Anybody here ever have one done? My insurance provider is saying that the test isn't medically necessary so I'm considering paying for it myself. I'm seeing prices all over the place. The net says the nat'l average is approx. $800-900, but can be as high as $5000!

Any input from youse guys? TIA.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 01-19-2020, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The place testing you should be able to quote you almost exactly what they will charge you. Make sure they/you factor in physician charges. Get it in writing. Ask for/demand the rate they would charge your insurance company.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Information Overloader

Tell your cardiologist you get a crushing/pressure sensation during relations with the GF and the GXT (Graded Exercise Test) will suddenly become medically necessary.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
For $250.00 cash I'll randomly confront you while wearing a ski mask and carrying a very large and menacing looking spoon.

If you don't keel over you should be good to go.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Information Overloader

That’s just plain murderous. What’s your address. I’ll send you $250 if you’ll just put on some pants.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Talk to your cardiologist, maybe he can work out a cash deal. I’m in perfect health but I see a cardiologist because of my family history. None of the insurance approved tests showed any issues so my cardiologist suggested an mri of my heart to check for calcium deposits just to be safe. He said insurance wouldn’t cover it but he had an agreement with the hospital next door to do it for $150.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbob View Post
Thatís just plain murderous. Whatís your address. Iíll send you $250 if youíll just put on some pants.
How can you possibly see into my window from there?

equito ergo sum
Old 01-19-2020, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Had a recent scare with mom: Tachycardia requiring a cardio version and a trip to the hospital.

No catheter ablation required thankfully.

Her Apple watch was set up for falls but not rapid heartrate
It didn't warn her or call for help.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
but can be as high as $5000!
Maybe it wasn't obvious, but that's part of the cardiac stress test
Various VWs
Old 01-20-2020, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

That is my field. I would expect a cash pay patient to range 900 to 1100 for a nuclear stress. You didn't specify if this was a "regular" walk on the treadmill stress test or a "nuclear" stress test that include imaging with the treadmill walking.

Dont hesitate to shoot me a pm if more info needed.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

don't you still get the insurance negotiated rate even if they arnt covering it? That seems to be the issue with these sort of things they are 20k retail that nobody actually pays and just moderately expensive as paid by insurance companies.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Talk to your cardiologist, maybe he can work out a cash deal. I’m in perfect health but I see a cardiologist because of my family history. None of the insurance approved tests showed any issues so my cardiologist suggested an mri of my heart to check for calcium deposits just to be safe. He said insurance wouldn’t cover it but he had an agreement with the hospital next door to do it for $150.
A note for the uninsured:

Around here, the Baptists will do that procedure for a $100 bill. Not to be outdone by the Baptists, the Catholics undercut them by a dollar. Yessir, you'll get the same tests by the Catholics and a dollar change for your $100 bill. Now, what both of them will do IF they find significant problems that they can fix, they WILL immediately after the test admit you to their hospital and fix you up. CHA CHING. So now, your choice of hospitals comes down to which ones will send you off to the debt collections agency and which ones will work with you on the bill and a payment plan. Of course if you are a minority female with dependent children or an undocumented immigrant, the State of Mississippi will gladly cover all of your costs through Medicaid. Just a random self employed white guy? Tough luck Bro!

As for me, I didn't spend the $100 bill but rather opted for the heart attack that was fixed at a hospital that won't send my bill off to collections as long as I pay them something every month. Moral of the Story: choose your hospital providing the $100 test wisely!

Last edited by SCadaddle; 01-20-2020 at 09:50 AM..
Old 01-20-2020, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Your doctor failed you. If he/she thinks you need a stress test then he/she needs to write the justification in a way that the insurance will cover it. If doc can't write it that way well, then maybe you don't need a stress test?

G
Old 01-20-2020, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
I see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bivenator View Post
That is my field. I would expect a cash pay patient to range 900 to 1100 for a nuclear stress. You didn't specify if this was a "regular" walk on the treadmill stress test or a "nuclear" stress test that include imaging with the treadmill walking.

Dont hesitate to shoot me a pm if more info needed.
the nuclear option, he wants to visualize my heart in action.

equito ergo sum
Old 01-20-2020, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: