Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAKYSEALS951 View Post
I'm actually thinking about driving a veloster. (seriously)

(but I'm not going to tell anyone when I do...)

(insert moped joke)

p.s.- On my elantra test drive, the dealer was white knuckling the "oh s#$" handle. On that thought, I might go try an veloster this weekend. I'm also wanting to drive a baby porsche panamera- the kia stinger (although it's hard to find a stick)-

although, there seems to be a company policy at KIA- don't walk out and greet people in the parking lot. So, I'd have to go in the showroom to display interest. oh well. I'd b#$ if they came out and hassled me. I'd b#$% if they didn't. Old age is great.
Yep, you need to check ego and that sense of "image is everything". It's tough to buy what works well for you instead of what others think is cool. But it is a plus of being old...you don't feel the need to prove a damned thing to anybody.

Old 01-21-2020, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
weekend wOrrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
Yep, you need to check ego and that sense of "image is everything". It's tough to buy what works well for you instead of what others think is cool. But it is a plus of being old...you don't feel the need to prove a damned thing to anybody.
yeah... I get it...and secretly I like the styling of the veloster.
Really, this thread makes me really WANT to go out and try out some new cars.
And I think I will.

My only real concern with any of these (and I'm not trying to be a buzzkill- and this will sound like / be a buzzkill/ and it's really NOT meant to be)-REPEAT- this is not to be a buzzkill- is that I saw a car about a year ago (don't even remember the make- I think a Ford mustang) which got rear ended, and kicked up the street about 500 feet. The rear hatch (and rear seat) was collapsed to the rear of the driver's seat. Never mind the whiplash. Had my daughter been in the back...

But that's not to set you up for a thread trap/ buzzkill. These cars seem great. Perhaps, what I really need is a tank. For everyone else- go enjoy! (And I will go drive some more- just for the fun of it!

When I get into a Kia stinger, I will report back...
Old 01-21-2020, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAKYSEALS951 View Post
OKAY!!!!!

After a glass of wine, I proudly present....

The HYUNDAI ELANTRA S sportback????/

When my volvo burnt a valve, there was a dealer nearby. I was driving by the lot (well... not in the volvo) , and thought... "oh look.. an audi a3 knockoff... how sortof cute..." got in took it for a drive. And I smiled.

.. and I smiled... the mpg was phenomenal, the 6 speed stick was good, the torque steer was, well... torque steer...

Which was kind of cool, because, you knew it was pulling b/c you had to pull against the wheel to harness in it's spritely power.

but I could get a bike in the back, and it made me smile.

editor's note- I fixed the volvo anyway, because I'm cheap and old!

Did I mention, it made me smile? (for the pricepoint)

Does anybody remember laughter?

Just throwing out a longshot!

edit- this car reminds me of an anesthesiologist I know who always drove around a BMW something or other, then one day traded it in for a subaru crosstec (of all things) - and he couldn't be happier b/c his bike fits in it and oil changes are something like $30.
Interesting! Thanks - this is why I asked.

I get the ego-checking thing. I got a Sentra SE-R new in 1993 (still have it); in 1995 my dad was ready to replace his E21 320iS and was considering an E36 318iS or an Infiniti G20t. One day were driving to a dealer in my SE-R and he realized how much he liked my car. We went to the nearby Nissan dealer and he ended up going home in a new 200SC SE-R, sold to him by the same salesman who I had gotten mine from. It was all he wanted!
Old 01-22-2020, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter74 View Post
6)Previous-generation Mazda 3 hatchback. Pro: Japanese-car maintenance and cost, fun, efficient. Con: not as roomy as I'd like, not very good visibility. I wish Mazda sold the 6 wagon here.

I don't like Legacy/Outback wagons past the generation that ended in about 2007-
We have 2 manual, hatchback fun cars right now. I'm tearing up the old Mazda 3 which I recently dropped a Ford 2.5L engine in (so, now it's an outlaw, ), and my wife has a rare 5-speed Subaru Crosstrek.

I'd suggest the new generations of either. I'm not sure what you can find for your price range though, I expect both hold their value...

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 01-22-2020, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Ford Focus ST.
14 535i M Sport
Old 01-22-2020, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
You'd be surprised at what R&T just named their performance car of the year. A few thou above your budget tho. Hyundai Veloster. I kid you not.
A bucket of puppies
Old 01-22-2020, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Zink Racer

Golf R. My son has one and it is like my old GTI on steroids in a good way.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Another possible choice is a Acura RSX Type S, though perhaps the hatchback may be a bit too small for a bicycle. ...

Lee
Old 01-23-2020, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ View Post
Ford Focus ST.
I like mine quite alot, though the hatch is much smaller than the wrx wagon it replaced. I bought mine brand spanking new in 18 for 19k since ford had like 7k in rebates. I imagine slightly used ones from this era must have really poor resale value currently.

Suspension tuning seems perfect, the engine has really amazing low end torque (though runs out of breath on the high end), and I get 28mpg in mixed driving. No problems so far at all but only 20k miles
Old 01-23-2020, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Otter74;10726946]
Requirements & conditions: I want either a reasonably-sized hatchback or a wagon so I can carry things like bikes inside

Be careful of the "bikes will fit inside" cars. Almost any car will fit a bike..if it's broken down. Not a lot that will fit them as they are. (other than a mini-van)
That's the reason I like my Honda. Open the hatch..roll the bike in..leave it standing up...shut the hatch.
I bungee the the bike to the overhead seat belt pivot. No chain lube to worry about if it's standing up. Will easily fit a bike on each side..plus more between if needed.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

An RSX Type S certainly hits the "fun" and "reliable Japanese" points, but I should have clarified that I want something bigger, with four doors.

I hadn't thought of the Focus ST either. I had thought of the Mark 7 (or whatever we're on now) GTI, though not the Golf R. A GTI is no doubt more fun than puppies, but may be a little small for me. it's sort of borderline. A GTI wagon would be perfect.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter74 View Post
An RSX Type S certainly hits the "fun" and "reliable Japanese" points, but I should have clarified that I want something bigger, with four doors.

I hadn't thought of the Focus ST either. I had thought of the Mark 7 (or whatever we're on now) GTI, though not the Golf R. A GTI is no doubt more fun than puppies, but may be a little small for me. it's sort of borderline. A GTI wagon would be perfect.

As an aside, I see your location. I lived on Mozart just off of Logan Blvd for about 6 months, in a crappy attic apartment of one of the converted houses there. That was back in '95, when you had a good chance of tripping on a dead prostitute while walking to the El station at night. Apparently that part of the city is a bit...cleaner...now.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 01-23-2020, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

What about an 5 series wagon (E61). I have a 2009 6MT. Twin turbos and remapped ECU for swank tank power. Canít say itís been maintenance free...
Old 01-23-2020, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Big Subaru Outback fan here.
I used to *only* transport my bike inside my car. Outback works for that. However, I’m too old to deal with that any more. Bought a receiver mount KUAT rack - and LOVE it.
Currently have a 3.6R, and it has really nice, linear power.
I did an Acura RDX when they were really new - did not care for the ride or fuel efficiency. Couldn’t fit the bike easily.
Have driven a couple New foresters - really do not care for them. Handling is strange, and they seem to have too short of a wheelbase. I’m north of you and have same roads as the Chicago burbs. Outback is a comfortable car to pull long days in. (Example - Nashville to 1hr north of Milwaukee from 8am to 5pm in one day).
Easy and inexpensive to maintain - esp for a DIY. Have had 5 of them. No “bmw” type problems.

Everybody has a preference - may not be the thing for you.

Good luck and happy driving!
Old 01-23-2020, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

An E61 wagon is too maintenance-intensive for me, I think. I somehow think an E90 is less so, though that may or may not be true. Granted, at 5k/year maintenance on anything isn't too bad, but it feels like it's solidly on the "too much hassle" side of the line. This is why an F-whatever 328d or 335i appeals in theory but less so in practice.

When I was shopping with a ca. $8k budget, I had narrowed things down to either an Outback/Forester ca. 2003-8 or a JSW. With the $15k+ budget, the Subarus available just leave me kind of 'meh'.

I've had a friend recomment a hitch rack too, but at least in cases where I'm driving to Detroit or Atlanta in winter, even if it's a bike that I ride year-round and so gets relatively hard use, i'd rather not subject it to miles and miles of getting salty road crap on it like I used to, especially if it's one of the non-winter bikes I have.

And pazuzu, yes, Logan is heavily gentrified by now! I really like my neighborhood (Avondale) - I've been there since 2008.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Toujours l' Audace

Buick Regal Tourx--sure its an orphan -- but slightly used can be had under 25K --new 19s also are available near that number. all wheel drive and turbo --will fit bike inside. 0 percent financing on some of em.
M
Old 01-27-2020, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Have you ever driven a 3.5L V-6 accord?
Just asking...
Old 01-27-2020, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Grip It & Rip It

The TSX sportwagon is the European Honda Accord... it is fun to drive and will last a long time...
Old 01-27-2020, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
I had a similar challenge and VW really fits the bill.

I had an 11 TDI golf manual and now a 12 Jetta manual wagon. I highly recommend a manual and I would stay away from the diesel because there are so many emissions components and a turbo that can break. The n/a gas 2.5 chain driven cam with a stick is the most reliable combination you can get in this vintage VW. You can buy this for under 10k and get a hell of a lot of car for the money.

G
Old 01-27-2020, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Never driven a V6 Accord, but I'm not a huge power guy. The TSX wagon is appealing despite the lack of a manual, but when I look at it vs. the Jetta from the standpoint of practicality and cargo room, the Jetta looks a little better. Still, I'd like to find one to drive. I'd be happy with a 2.5L Jetta, but finding a nice one with low mileage, a manual transmission, SE trim and a sunroof is really damn hard.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: