Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Model Citizen

Rolex appraised at 500-700k

Hang onto the ephemera when you get your new watch, fellas. Oh, and don't wear it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/28/us/rolex-pbs-antique-roadshow-trnd/index.html

Old 01-28-2020, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Saw that. The guy paid an amazing $345.00 (approximation) for it originally. Decent investment.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Never banned

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
I'd call that an "accidental investment" but yes certainly a decent return.

David Lee, Ferrari collector said he got sick of losing money on his new cars so he only buys the classics now.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans, Marv View Post
Saw that. The guy paid an amazing $345.00 (approximation) for it originally. Decent investment.
I also saw the show...Cindy had it on. $345..roughly a month's pay back then for an airman. A very rare and special model, evidently. Akin to finding a 550 Spyder nobody was aware of...
Old 01-28-2020, 11:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

There was a different Antique Roadshow episode of a veteran that bought a Rolex years ago. I think it was a Submariner model (edit - it was a GMT). It was well worn but he had all papers etc. I think it appraised for $50k or so. He had thought it wasn't worth but a couple thousand.

Edit- found it:

'83 SC Targa - since 5/5/2001
'06 911 S Aerokit - from 5/2/2016 to 11/14/2018

Last edited by MBAtarga; 01-29-2020 at 07:11 AM..
Old 01-29-2020, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
cycling has-been

Also saw the appraisal.
The guy deserved it.
He was in the Air Force 1972 - 1975 in a munitions disposal team.
His job was to go to the AF targeted munitions storage facilities or dumps, and dispose of all the live munition, after the planes did their job from the air.
He looked like I would have looked if I had that MOS during my stint, and found a nice quiet beach to chill on.
Bill K

Last edited by bkreigsr; 01-30-2020 at 10:28 AM..
Old 01-29-2020, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Caught that the other night and really enjoyed it. I have always like ARS and a watch guy as well. That is the perfect storm of the right watch in untouched condition, Daytona fever has been in full effect for several years as well as vintage sports watches in general. I wonder if this is the perfect time to sell or if will continue to increase in value. I feel like we are in the top of a bubble, but who knows.

My fav ARS will always be the super complicated Patek Pocket watch:

Old 01-29-2020, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Vid:

Old 01-29-2020, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

That watch was worn some, not just once or twice but a fair bit. Still, a rare find. I sold my Daytona in the 1980's when the values started to take off. I think I got $3500 for it, which was double the list price in the day. Then they doubled again, and again and again.... Not all of them are worth what this one is, they vary according to the dial, mostly.

Dealers could hardly sell them in the 70's and 80's. Demand got so low that they quit making them.

Most of the really valuable Rolexes today are models you couldn't give away when new. The Oysterquarz, the original Milguass, etc..
Old 01-29-2020, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Is that Forest Gump?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 01-29-2020, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
... Most of the really valuable Rolexes today are models you couldn't give away when new. The Oysterquarz, the original Milguass, etc..
I have one of the modern Milgauss with the black dial and green glass - cuz it's cool looking and occasionally I hang around big magnets (https://nationalmaglab.org/about/around-the-lab/meet-the-magnets/meet-the-100-tesla-pulsed-magnet). OK, the NHMFL had nothing to do my choice, but I don't have any yachts, submarines or racecars so this is the closest I can get to an appropriate tool-watch.

I suspect the much-more-mild looking white-dial Milgausses might get collectable.

Last edited by mjohnson; 01-29-2020 at 05:31 PM..
Old 01-29-2020, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered Cruiser

Don't usually tune in to the show but happened to be in a hotel room and saw that episode. The guy's reaction was fantastic. Definitely a life changing amount of dough for him. Seemed like a nice guy.

I have never really completely understood anything.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Saw it on pbs the other night. Loved it! Would love to hear follow up if he sells it.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson View Post
I have one of the modern Milgauss with the black dial and green glass - cuz it's cool looking and occasionally I hang around big magnets (https://nationalmaglab.org/about/around-the-lab/meet-the-magnets/meet-the-100-tesla-pulsed-magnet). OK, the NHMFL had nothing to do with it, but I don't have any yachts, submarines or racecars so this is the closest I can get to an appropriate tool-watch.

I suspect the much-more-mild looking white-dial Milgausses might get collectable.
I tried to get in line to buy one of the modern Milgauss watches when they were introduced, because I used to do work in areas that have fairly high magnetic fields. The demand from the watch geeks, largely because of the green accents on the watch, was high enough that my local dealer wouldn’t even put me on a waiting list. I politely told him that they could essentially go **** themselves and they wouldn’t be getting any more of my business in the future and I flew to Dallas and bought three watches from a dealer down there. One Rolex and two 18 karat gold dress watches that I happened to take a liking to.

Fast forward a few years and I decided I was fed up with the entire watch industry and the people that screwed it up and I sold off every watch I owned. Some two dozen of them... I haven’t worn a watch since.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Never banned

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Quote:
Originally Posted by ury914 View Post
is that forest gump?

lol...
Old 01-29-2020, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
I tried to get in line to buy one of the modern Milgauss watches when they were introduced...
I stumbled into mine on the opening day (2018) of a fancy TX chain in Albuquerque. I guess I got lucky - then I brought shame and eventual poverty on my heirs it by wearing it and (shudder) maybe even misplacing some of the paperwork!

Collectors of these mass produced things are funny...
Old 01-29-2020, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Watched that episode too, hard to find anyone more deserving of that windfall. He seemed genuinely stunned.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

It's such a great show. Anyone remember when it came up in "Frasier"? The family was arguing about what to watch and both were summarizing AR, but from different perspectives. Classic.

I am always interested in what happens afterwards . . .

I drive the economy version of a premium car, and the premium version of an economy car.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOO View Post
It's such a great show. Anyone remember when it came up in "Frasier"? The family was arguing about what to watch and both were summarizing AR, but from different perspectives. Classic.

I am always interested in what happens afterwards . . .
That was a good episode. The dad (Marty) thought it was a game show where people brought in their stuff and the people at home tried to guess how much's it worth

Decent investment, but had he taken his 1 month salary and bought Coca Cola stock and reinvested the dividends since then, he would be sitting on $1,340,170.16

Last edited by biosurfer1; 01-30-2020 at 07:37 AM..
Old 01-30-2020, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by biosurfer1 View Post
That was a good episode. The dad (Marty) thought it was a game show where people brought in their stuff and the people at home tried to guess how much's it worth

Decent investment, but had he taken his 1 month salary and bought Coca Cola stock and reinvested the dividends since then, he would be sitting on $1,340,170.16
Or he could have bought GM stock and had nothing at all after the bailout.

1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 01-30-2020, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: