Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
Just look at post #29...those numbers don't lie.
Sure they do! They just say that the team buckled down and won home games during the post season, just like EVERY team in the post season. The season numbers are the opposite, they were clearly and obviously better away than at home, all season. Period. Either they were distracted while cheating, or they didn't really cheat as much as every is saying they did, or other teams suspected/knew they were cheating and were tossing them fake signs. One way or the other, when they walked out on the field with no chance of cheating (away games, post season games) they won, and won big. Why? Because they were filthy with talent that year, across the board. Cheating, no cheating, they were going to win big.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 02-13-2020, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
So, they are hitting better at home, but are losing more? How does that work?

I agree that they shouldn't have cheated, I'm just saying they might have done better if they hadn't.
Don't know how you hit better and lose more, seems incongruous, maybe their pitchers are better on the road. Maybe they would have lost even more at home if they were not cheating.

Mark Twain
Old 02-13-2020, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

Let me just whip this out:

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/28694138

Won't embed.

Did the owner do ANY prep? Not like he didn't know this was coming.

I like(d) the Asros, btw...the Verlander angle was great.

Last edited by Seahawk; 02-14-2020 at 05:49 AM..
Old 02-14-2020, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

I've been an Astro's fan my whole life. This is embarrassing to say the least.

This will leave a black eye or asterisk next to their name for decades.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
What?!?!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
...snip...Did the owner do ANY prep? Not like he didn't know this was coming.
Good grief, he sounded like some drunk homer at the bar defending what happened.

No question there was cheating. And it's no question chea...ahem, trying to get an edge, has been going on since humans first grasped a rock to kill something that couldn't grasp a rock.

Folks need to stop acting like this is a new thing.

I guarantee you, there are Minor league clubs around the nation changing how they cheat since this came out.

Shines a light on how tech can be used for that.

Lets not forget, it's incredibly difficult to hit a ball to begin with.

Remember the All Star game in 2002? Shilling was the starting pitcher for NL, Alex Rodriguez was batting 3rd for AL. A few days prior to the game, Shill was telling the media and everyone else that if Arod comes to bat with 2 outs, he'll throw nothing but fastballs.
There were 2 away when Arod approached the dish.
Shill walked halfway to home shouting that only fastballs were coming.
Arod went down in 3 pitches, no contact at all.

I know I'm using a skewed example because that game is for fun and laughs.

But even they know even if they know what's coming, they still have to hit it...in play...and get on base.

It's human nature to che.., get an edge.

I truly love baseball. This is just a huge mess. Bloody hell.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Quote:
I played (mostly pitched) in over 40 and 50 baseball until my hip reminded me all good things must come to an end. Those leagues were a hoot, at least in this area.
I live near a park where a lot of those games are played, so I'll walk across the street on nice evenings to watch... (Very pleasant part of living close to the park!)

Anyway, one day, the tying run in the bottom of the 9th blows a steal attempt, the game is over and his manager (also the pitcher) Just. Goes. Ballistic. Rails at the poor sap for five minutes like a drill sergeant screaming at the barracks imbecile. The air is absolutely blue with every curse this guy could conjure up. Everyone at the ballpark is just gape-mouthed watching this meltdown, and finally a couple of teammates manage to calm the guy down. Losing his 401(K) wouldn't have been as big a deal to this guy as losing this game was.

Sad and hilarious in equal measures.

Back to the scandal.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Let me just whip this out:

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/28694138

Won't embed.

Did the owner do ANY prep? Not like he didn't know this was coming.

I like(d) the Asros, btw...the Verlander angle was great.
The BEST part is him saying "I don't think there was any impact on the game"

then LITERALLY 55 seconds later him saying "I never said it didn't make an impact"

Classic!
Old 02-14-2020, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner or later View Post
Cheating has been a part of baseball since it started. BoSox being investigated now for sign stealing
You do realize that Alex Cora was the Astros bench coach who orchestrated the sign stealing, who then became the Red Sox manager and did the same thing which is why they are being investigated??
Old 02-14-2020, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by biosurfer1 View Post
You do realize that Alex Cora was the Astros bench coach who orchestrated the sign stealing, who then became the Red Sox manager and did the same thing which is why they are being investigated??
Yes. And according to local news, the Astros discontinued the program in 2018 because it wasn't helping...
Old 02-14-2020, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

LOL...I sure hope that was intended to be a joke since the Astros won the 2017 World Series.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes. That is why he got canned.

Point is... it is more than just the Astros that try to find the next method to steal a sign.

You all are acting like this is the first time this has happened in baseball. The only difference is the method they used and an internet to complain on.

Coached got canned. Owner was fined. It will happen again and you can voice your outrage over and over.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
I don’t think that any team has ever had a WS stolen from them quite like this. The Astros should be banned from baseball for years and have to change their name to The Houston Corksuckers.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Astro's fan here. Very disappointing. That 2017 was awesome and this cheating scandal is an embarrassment. LA, Boston and NY probably shouldn't be throwing stones as those teams were most likely cheating as well.

I look forward to this season.

Play ball.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Ubi bene ibi patria

Garage
Quote:
Yes it sucks. But MLB will sweep it under the rug unless the courts get involved.
This whole 2017 playoffs scandal, imbroglio, fiasco - what ever the hell you can or what ever the hell you'd like to call it - remains a
monumental pi$$-off in light of MLB's present seemingly myopic & ineffectual stance on the issue.

To add to the already muddy waters the commissioner finds himself in - there's the "Pete Rose thing" & his latest bid for reinstatement:"It has never been suggested, let alone established, that any of
Mr. Rose's actions influenced the outcome of any game or the performance of any player," the document reads.
"There cannot be one set of rules for Mr. Rose and another for everyone else,"

While I am no big fan of Rose, the undeniable remains, his record hits total is the standard he put out there & will probably be the standard for a very long time.
If MLB sits on their hands & persists in practising double standards & does as Joe Bob suggests, they will have set a new standard for defining hypocrisy -
a fine example for the youth of today!

End Of Rant
Cheers
JB
Old 02-18-2020, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Trump needs to bring these guys back to the WH for a second visit.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
Haha, right, it's surprising that he didn't try to pardon the Astros also!
Old 02-18-2020, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

^^^
This is why I come to OT
Old 02-18-2020, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

I wonder how you all feel about PED's affecting the outcome of games for over a decade? I guess since there was probably at least one player using in each of the dugouts it's a wash? Small ball disappeared during that time.

Roger Maris' record was bashed, although Sosa doesn't hold the record, he topped Maris 3 consecutive years.

Move on, every team cheats or at least tries too.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdavis11 View Post

Move on, every team cheats or at least tries too.
Got any evidence? Present it and punish those teams too. "Everyone is probably doing it" is the most juvenile defense.

Get a speeding a ticket and try telling the judge "but everyone else was speeding!" and see how far that gets you.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

Quote:
Got any evidence? Present it and punish those teams too. "Everyone is probably doing it" is the most juvenile defense.

Get a speeding a ticket and try telling the judge "but everyone else was speeding!" and see how far that gets you.
No doubt: Astros fans, sorry, your dog didn't eat your homework.

The problem is the Astros took PR lessons from the Ayatollah of Clueless...MLB as well.

What a cluster foxtrot. There is no defense, zero. Making one up compounds the stupid.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: