Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Driver

Garage
First Corona Virus death in someone I know

Found out today that a colleague with whom I've worked in the past died this past weekend of Covid 19. He was probably in his 50s, so not elderly. I heard he came down with prostate cancer. Went to the hospital to start his chemotherapy (so immunocompromised). 2 days later he was in the ICU and then passed. He has since tested (or rather, the tests performed on him prior to his death have since been resulted) positive for Corona virus. No one else in his family/household have tested positive. So the conjecture is whether he caught it in the hospital outpatient chemotherapy center, or somewhere else in the community. Condolences to his family.

I've said/written it in the past. This probably will leave most of us unscathed. But this virus will get a few people we each know, and maybe even knock off a family member/loved one or two.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Sorry to hear. We all need to be careful of who we around for our safety and theirs
Old 03-25-2020, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
that is awful.

this is a bad time to be immunocompromised.

RIP.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

That's very sad....condolences and best to you all.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
So sorry to hear... it’s important that the measures we take aren’t so much for ourselves (most of us are relatively young and healthy) but for others that are high-risk. We SHOULD look at these measures - hard to deal with and inconvenient as they are - as ways of helping our fellow man. Lord knows we could use more of that in our society... we’ve become very self-centered as a general statement and an opportunity to see ourselves as part of something greater like a community or society should be looked upon as such.

My condolences to his family. We all have people like that we need to be concerned about.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
You have people like this out there.

https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Dubuque-man-who-tested-positive-for-Covid-19-shares-experience-569037301.html

Thought he had the flu, went to work anyway.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

canna change law physics

Garage
We are isolating my parents as much as we can. Dad is 91, partially paralysed and mom is 86.

Having a hard time keeping mom home. She likes to go out and shop.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Noah,

SO sorry my friend. Sad.

Condolences, thoughts and prayers to the fam.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Yeah, very sorry Noah. 50 is way too young.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
Found out today that a colleague with whom I've worked in the past died this past weekend of Covid 19. He was probably in his 50s, so not elderly. I heard he came down with prostate cancer. Went to the hospital to start his chemotherapy (so immunocompromised). 2 days later he was in the ICU and then passed. He has since tested (or rather, the tests performed on him prior to his death have since been resulted) positive for Corona virus. No one else in his family/household have tested positive. So the conjecture is whether he caught it in the hospital outpatient chemotherapy center, or somewhere else in the community. Condolences to his family.

I've said/written it in the past. This probably will leave most of us unscathed. But this virus will get a few people we each know, and maybe even knock off a family member/loved one or two.
Sorry to hear about your friend. My condolences to his family.

Its too late for this to leave us unscathed. Nearly everyone has been affected in some way. This will result in huge unemployment, our investments are in the 5hitter already, and our kids will be paying for this for a very long time.

This is why we need to be ever aware when we buy products... do we reward China with our continued business or do we put them in the penalty box for at least a few years for allowing their problem to spread like this?
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 03-25-2020, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
I wasn't very close to the doctor above who passed. But we ran in the same medical circles, so we were friendly. I feel really badly for his family.

Now I have a very close friend whose dad has it. Ventilator, ICU, etc. He is elderly and has a bad heart to begin with. He's not going to make it. Yuck.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Now I have a very close friend whose dad has it. Ventilator, ICU, etc. He is elderly and has a bad heart to begin with. He's not going to make it. Yuck.
So here's more back story that'll make everyone mad. My friend's parents (the dad who has it now) recently went on a trip to the Caribbean and Canada a couple weeks ago. They went with their son (and son's family) who live in London. After the trip, the son and his wife fell ill and were diagnosed with Covid 19. They have since beem treated and have recovered.

Now that the dad is in the ICU here in LA, the son and his family are flying tomorrow from London to LA to see the dad and spend time with/take care of the mom (who is in home quarantine). And the fukker is probably just going to lie his way through customs (no, I haven't been sick recently) to sneak into the US.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I know people who have it.
Said its the worst sick he's ever had in his life.
Flu is a picnic compared to this.
Can't breathe.
Says he had an anvil on his chest.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
The symptoms have been all over the place with this one from people not knowing they were sick to dead.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
Quote:
So here's more back story that'll make everyone mad. My friend's parents (the dad who has it now) recently went on a trip to the Caribbean and Canada a couple weeks ago. They went with their son (and son's family) who live in London. After the trip, the son and his wife fell ill and were diagnosed with Covid 19. They have since beem treated and have recovered.

Now that the dad is in the ICU here in LA, the son and his family are flying tomorrow from London to LA to see the dad and spend time with/take care of the mom (who is in home quarantine). And the fukker is probably just going to lie his way through customs (no, I haven't been sick recently) to sneak into the US.
Despicable Bastards.
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 03-26-2020, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I'm sorry.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
Yeah, very sorry Noah. 50 is way too young.
I wholeheartedly agree! Even 70 is too young these days....

'83 SC Targa - since 5/5/2001
'06 911 S Aerokit - from 5/2/2016 to 11/14/2018
Old 03-26-2020, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
that is awful.

this is a bad time to be immunocompromised.

RIP.
Perfectly healthy people are dying.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry for these personal impacts and loss Noah. I suspect we may all lose someone we know before this is over.

Airports, airplanes, subways, Dr. Office and hospital waiting rooms all seem to be giant petri dishes for the spread of this thing. I had a routine blood test 2 weeks ago at Quest Diagnostic and just walking in there freaked me out. Not likely I would get seriously ill but I don't want to be the next Typhoid Larry and spread it all over without knowing I had it.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Noah, I hope your friend's dad makes a full recovery.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: