Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

signing on tv

Ok..lately watching too much news on tv.
Why is it that with every prez/gov news release...they have someone 'signing' for those with hearing loss?
Almost all tv's in the last 15 or 20 years have had captioning for those who have trouble. I use it for movies sometimes.. even though my hearing is almost good.

Are they doing it just for the people in the newsroom?
Anyone watching tv that needs the help would already have the captioning on...right?
What am I overlooking?

Old 03-29-2020, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

It’s to do with equal rights.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Closed captioning usually sucks for live TV
Old 03-29-2020, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Because the live real time captioning isn't accurate enough to satisfy the ADA. Also with ASL a good "speaker" who is translating will be able to use facial expressions, etc. to bring it closer to how the actual message was delivered vs. just reading the words in a monotone as they scroll by.

Not even the YouTube auto-captioning for uploaded content - which can hit 99% with a wide range of voice types and some types of accents - isn't good enough for us to depend on it for "requested accommodations" for course lectures, etc. under the ADA.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Just seems to me that there is too much chance of mistakes in the giving and receiving of signing as opposed to captioning.
I guess if using both at the same time would be the best.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

An example of signing being way mo' better than closed captioning.

Old 03-29-2020, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

^^^ Nobody would dare question if she was doing it right.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Ha ha - no doubt!
Old 03-29-2020, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

I see the only advantage of signing...is for those with hearing disabilities and unable to read.
Otherwise CC is much more accurate.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Platinum Member

Tacoma FD signing. NSFW.......
Old 04-13-2020, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I hate CC. I always find myself reading it, even when I can hear just fine. Having said that...I beg to differ with your assessment that it's accurate. I have NEVER seen anything CC'd that didn't have some really major flaws.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

^^^I've tried it the last few Prez news conferences. It's word for word. Plus, when announcing numbers, the signer is lost.
Maybe there is a diff between tv's. Mine is 3 yrs old.

Last edited by stevej37; 04-13-2020 at 03:11 PM..
Old 04-13-2020, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Information Overloader

The irony of that concert is that she is signing for people who've gone to too many concerts.

It's waaay more enjoyable if you can't hear it.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej37 View Post
^^^I've tried it the last few Prez news conferences. It's word for word. Plus, when announcing numbers, the signer is lost.
Maybe there is a diff between tv's. Mine is 3 yrs old.
Maybe. Never had it on at home...just see it in various offices and it makes me laugh some of the things that get mutilated between audio and print.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbob View Post
The irony of that concert is that she is signing for people who've gone to too many concerts.

It's waaay more enjoyable if you can't hear it.

Hard to understand going to a rock concert and then having to watch a signer to 'hear' it.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
An example of signing being way mo' better than closed captioning.

There is something odd about all of the security...
Old 04-13-2020, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Looks like standard, Texas physique to me.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej37 View Post
Hard to understand going to a rock concert and then having to watch a signer to 'hear' it.
Go to enough loud enough ones and you will
Old 04-13-2020, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
There is something odd about all of the security...
Two kinds of security, a bunch of big guys that look like they'll stomp your head, or those guys who are basically just a living wall of flesh.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 04-13-2020, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
Two kinds of security, a bunch of big guys that look like they'll stomp your head, or those guys who are basically just a living wall of flesh.
We were about 10 feet from the cameraman at that show. Those guys spent 6 hours continuously catching people coming over the fence, putting them down gently, and sending them on their way. I don't care how fat they look, they were chucking 150 pounds metalheads for 6 hours straight.

Oh, the interpreter was there because a deaf person contacted the facility and requested it. There were actually 3 of them that took 30 minute shifts (for 6 hours...), they went that hard the whole time. The bands kept coming over and hanging with them, because 3 of them rocked as hard as 6 bands did...

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 04-13-2020, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: