Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Help me grow better tomato plants.

Please.

I picked up some homemade tomato cages from a coworker. They are 5.5 feet tall. I asked why so tall and he replied thatís how tall his plants get. Wtf? Mine are always 2-3 feet max. Feeble.

Fertilizer?
How much water?

My plants look pretty ragged fairly quick. Eventually turning brown even with the fruit still hanging. My entire office planted in the ground already. I followed suit. We always buy from the same charity.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I have a friend with a very green thumb. Her plants (Portland) were up against a sunny wall. Lots of heat- for here. They were 7+ feet tall!

I think she also spent time daily with them. It showed. My plants are more like yours.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Tomatoes love sun and hate water and heat.
When you water, don't use a sprinkler or anything, water on the leaves causes mold. Water the ground only.
Prune them continuously, the sucker growth steals energy from the fruit.
They should be 5 feet tall. Ours are already 6 feet tall (in a foot deep bed), and we only planted them a few weeks ago. They grow like weeds in in the Texas spring sun, UNTIL the average temp starts getting nearer to 90, then they wither fast. *average* temp, not daytime high.

In fact, checking some social media, we planted the tomatoes 6 weeks ago, and they're already producing. In the next few weeks, we'll have so many tomatoes that my wife will be giving them away at work.

The only thing that grows better than tomatoes here is lettuce (in the winter) and any type of pepper, the hotter the better.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 04-15-2020, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Differnet species are different heighs, My best one was called something like beefsteak. It was a funny looking stubby sort of thing that didn't need any support.

One thing that makes 'em grow is tomatoe ferilizer. It's got all the right suff and correct ph.

Another trick is to get a cotton bud and manually polenate the flowers.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
My plants look pretty ragged fairly quick. Eventually turning brown even with the fruit still hanging. My entire office planted in the ground already. I followed suit. We always buy from the same charity.
It's likely they are infected with fusarium wilt. The disease does increasing damage over the growing season.
There is a treatment for it, but fusarium (and verticillium in cooler climates) are so ubiquitous that many people put out a lot of plants and expect a short season. There are disease resistant hybrids that you'll need to plant if the problem is too bad to live with. You hardly every see tomatoes in August that are completely green unless you are growing a strongly resistant hybrid. What variety are you planting?

Fusarium is everywhere. Fortunately for you you don't live in an area (like Ohio) where we have both fusarium and verticillium to contend with.

https://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/plant-disease/fusarium-wilt/

My tomatoes and peppers are about 3 weeks old and it won't be warm enough to put them out for another 3-4 weeks. We grow 2 open pollinated varieties - San Marzano and Jersey Giant - for canning and they are always almost dead from wilt by September. We grow some hybrid table tomatoes that resist the wilt much better, but the fruit are a pain to try to process for canned sauces and salsas.

Last edited by wdfifteen; 04-16-2020 at 02:24 AM..
Old 04-16-2020, 02:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Prune the suckers if you don't already.

https://www.thespruce.com/should-you-prune-out-tomato-suckers-1403290
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 04-16-2020, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
do not throw old tomato plants or leaves in the compost
or if you do , don't use that compost anywhere near your tomato plants.

This includes potatoes, paprika, peppers, eggplant, etc etc.. they are all same family , night shade and will infect one another with disease

I often grow French Coeur de Boeuf, really big ones.
in open air. I will often pluck the biggest tomatos when they are still very green, and take em inside in a dry place.. They will still ripen that way, it just takes a bit longer.
I leave em out as long as I can, but if weather looks like it might turn wet.. i'll harvest.

it does remove the risk of mold or other natural diseases once they are inside.
+prevents big tomatoes from splitting the skin if to big
+ it lets the remaining tomatoes grow a bit quicker

Last edited by svandamme; 04-16-2020 at 05:22 AM..
Old 04-16-2020, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Gallatin, Tennessee

I add a heaping spoonful of Epsom salt to the watering can about every three weeks or so and that has really helped my tomato and pepper plants grow.

Dave
Old 04-16-2020, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Don't ever plant them in the same place in successive seasons-the wilt mentioned above stays in the soil. The other tips are good.
Don't put them out until nighttime temps are in the 50's. Make sure the soil is loose, not compacted and don't ever walk around them. Bury them deep-to the first set of leaves at least-this will add to root growth. They like morning sun to dry the dew off.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 04-16-2020, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
crap. from this thread i have done everything wrong ALREADY!!

at least i can still start pruning.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
thanks. good read!!
Old 04-16-2020, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
thanks. good read!!
My parents had no idea. My dad came out to the gardener plucking the suckers from his plants in Spain, and thought "WTF!" Neither was very good at the other's language, but the guy did manage to get the point across.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Some folks are natural born farmers.

Some folks are hunters and gatherers.

Cliff....you've got cammo !
Old 04-16-2020, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Did somebody say tomatoes?

Old 04-16-2020, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Is bigger necessarily better?
Old 04-16-2020, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
No. But these taste incredible!!!!!
Old 04-16-2020, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Cool, I didn't know. Even if they didn't, big is still very impressive.

For raw tomatoes, I'm very picky. I mostly just prefer to not eat them raw, but every once in a while, I get some good ones.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Everybody that tries these can't believe how good they are. My father used to grow these. I have no idea where he got the original seeds from. He kept saving seeds every year for the next. I started growing them from seeds that he would give me. When he passed away I continued the tradition. All of our friends are now growing them and saving the seeds for the next year. We can them and make sauce to freeze for the winter months. Short season here in Connecticut. Gotta make the most of it.
Great for BLT's and on a burger. One slice covers the burger.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
It depends on what you need them for. We choose table tomatoes for fresh flavor. There are lots of varieties large and small.
For canning we like Jersey Giants. The are heart shaped, have only 3 seed chambers, not many seeds, and they are huge. You can fill a quart jar with about 3 of them. San Marzanos have a rich tomato flavor, have only 3 seed chambers, but they are small. They are great for sauces, but they are a lot of work.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
My father used to grow these. I have no idea where he got the original seeds from. He kept saving seeds every year for the next. I started growing them from seeds that he would give me. When he passed away I continued the tradition. All of our friends are now growing them and saving the seeds for the next year.
That is SO cool! If you donít mind, save me some seed for next year. Iím always looking for a tasty tomato to grow.

Old 04-16-2020, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: